Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2023, 02:43 AM

Default Cabelas Alaknak tent in Canvas

Anyone ever come across a shop that will sew up a canvas version of the Cabelas Alaknak 12 foot? Or better yet had one made and have pics…! The Alaknak is garbage now (bad sewing) the cloth they used was amore of an early season tent. Really like the vestibule design on the Alaknak. I wish Northwest tent and Awning would make and sell them as stock with a 4 foot wall, door screen two plastic windows, and. 5” stove hole. i love the single centre pole design and the 4 foot wall pole concept. The design sheds snow well.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:57 AM

If you have a good budget I would look into Arctic Oven tents, very expensive but very good quality.
Old 12-11-2023, 11:18 AM

You could look at Atuk tents
They are Canadian
Old 12-11-2023, 11:22 AM

You could bring your tent to a Tent and Awning shop set it up and have them build you one just like it out of canvas, with all the option you want. Might be a tad expensive. But you already have the frame and you'll end up with a custom build just for your needs.

BW
Old 12-12-2023, 12:24 AM

Thanks guys , hadn’t heard of atuck. i’ll go look. I was really hoping someone has tried this before at nw tent and awning and had pics they could post. I have two custom wiki tents now and they were EXPENSIVE to fabricate. Both are awesome and super comfy. The 14w x17 l was over $3500 and the 12 w x 10l with awning and fly was $2k. Those prices are from 10 years ago. I cringe thinking of what they would cost to make today. NW tent and awning was awesome to work with though.

PS does anyone hate what the boat company has done to Cabelas. the current outfit is not even a close second to what Cabelas used to be…
Old 12-12-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatixx View Post
PS does anyone hate what the boat company has done to Cabelas. the current outfit is not even a close second to what Cabelas used to be…
Yup, it's becoming a hoodie and sweatshirt store. You have to root around a bit to find some quality stuff there now.

On the bright side, it gives the mom-and-pop shops some opportunity to draw us in with better-quality merchandise and service.

I wish more of them would see the benefit of having a decent online presence, though.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:36 PM

You are correct on the arctic oven tent a friend has one its unbelievably warm.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So just a question, if you are an outdoors person and enjoy all seasons then why not just buy a insulated ice fishing tent to meet your needs?

Seems to be a bit cheaper too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-13-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So just a question, if you are an outdoors person and enjoy all seasons then why not just buy a insulated ice fishing tent to meet your needs?

It would be - and that's something I'm considering too - but I'd think it would get too hot in warmer months, plus I don't think the seams are meant to keep rain out...

Oh, and they are super quick and easy for someone to pack up and walk away with when you're away from camp...
Old 12-13-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Having done both, I have to admit that the Alaknak is superior to a ice fishing tent. I personally haven't had issues with the Alaknak but I haven't exposed it to harsh conditions either.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:35 PM

The reason, for a canvas duck Alaknak mainly is quick set up, and an ice fishing tent has that feature for sure, but they are also dark inside. Personally I wouldn’t want to spend a nice Fall day, mid day, having a nap or cooking up an egger on the stove in a blacked out tent. I had a green canvas us army tent, it was a 12 person, but dark ad super hot inside when the sun was shining. Appreciate the suggestion though!:cheers
Old 12-18-2023, 06:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Our Eskimo has a light grey interior, two vents, put down the window flaps to let light in and or if needed for air flow open a window or two....bright interior and if anchored into the ground etc can’t see it being an easy steal for a thief but even low life’s can surprise you.

A few years back I spray sealed the tent and believe it or not we sat through a rain storm last year for three hours in the tent and not a drop off water got in.

I guess it wouldn’t be my dedicated first choice but would consider it if that what I had now before spending more money....options

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-18-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Our Eskimo has a light grey interior, two vents, put down the window flaps to let light in and or if needed for air flow open a window or two....bright interior and if anchored into the ground etc can’t see it being an easy steal for a thief but even low life’s can surprise you.

A few years back I spray sealed the tent and believe it or not we sat through a rain storm last year for three hours in the tent and not a drop off water got in.

I guess it wouldn’t be my dedicated first choice but would consider it if that what I had now before spending more money....options
Definitely good to know!

I'm still trying to decide whether it's worth it to modify my double-hub (Woods brand) with a stove jack for those quick-and-dirty hunts and for ice fishing.

There's also those Bereg tents, but man, they are pricey. The are super quick to set up, but at that price I'd opt for a Seek Outside tent or a canvas one.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:59 AM

Wow, holy cow! That’s pricey! There’s got to be someone out there that commissioned a custom canvas Alaknak with front dormer.

Cmon folks…. send pics!!!!
Old 12-23-2023, 11:42 AM

What do you think of this one? I’ve got one and really like it.

https://www.reliabletent.com/store/p/the-mountain-spike
Old 12-23-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatixx View Post
Wow, holy cow! That’s pricey! There’s got to be someone out there that commissioned a custom canvas Alaknak with front dormer.

Cmon folks…. send pics!!!!
Quality merchandise! Made in mother Russia, what did you expect!
Not your run of the mill Chinese crap.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:19 PM

Hey Alder, yes lI looked at it, walls a bit short and no dormer like the alaknak…. good company though… thx for the suggestion…