Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-13-2023, 10:46 PM

Default Calling wolves

I’m in an area with a lot of wolf activity. Weekly see new tracks. I have friends that have called in wolves while elk hunting and also with an e caller while targeting coyotes. My question is what to do different versus calling coyotes? Coyotes stand I will go 15 - 20 minutes max. Should I be putting in more time with wolves? Sticking to rabbit distress or wolf howls?

Pretty nice weather lately to spend time in the field trying different techniques.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:05 AM

Pmd you.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2023, 08:43 AM

Just because you see tracks, doesn't mean they are close by, they travel a lot. Better have luck on your side.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-14-2023, 09:06 AM

I haven't targeted wolves myself but talked a bit with redfrog who did and he said coyote vocals are often what called in wolves for him. My understanding was the wolves don't like the competition so they seek out and try to kill coyotes.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-14-2023, 09:23 AM

I would think since wolves are in a pack a rabbit distress call wouldn’t be the best option for calling them in. I would look to fawn distress or even angry birds like ravines or crows to make it seem like something substantial is dead. Playing the wind correctly I would think is the most important thing of all of you want to try to call in those smart dogs. Good luck hope to see some pictures
Old 12-14-2023, 11:51 AM

Did some searching and came up with this article.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...20Snell%20says.

Old 12-14-2023, 12:22 PM

i have called them in for over 40 years

here is some posted i did on here

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=Canis+Lupus

then 6 days later

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=Canis+Lupus

i did this post on Len Backus ' Long Range Hunting in 2014 too

Sterling Extreme Outdoors did this post which shows how i do my wolf calling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no-SvjNFRgI

only i use a elk reed

hope this helps

as allways this is

Food for Thought

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user20496_pic8971_1415250601 (2).jpg (95.3 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg user20496_pic10660_1536019070.jpg (64.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg user20496_pic9100_1419488852.jpg (41.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 12-14-2023, 12:41 PM

My experience with wolves is like calling any other big game animal you need to encounter them at the right distance for calling.
They are territorial and if you come across their fresh sign, then try calling/howling.

We've done that exact thing, except what happened was buddy heard the wolves calling not too far from camp.

He howled at them and they came in on a string.

Dumped 1 wolf 100 yards from our camp (obviously we had just set up camp and the wolves didn't realize hunters had encroached on their territory).

I knew a family in Swan Hills back in the day, that called wolves successfully every winter. They would travel on snowmobiles until they cut fresh tracks, then call them.

And just like calling any other big game animal, setup to your advantage... sometimes they come, sometimes they don't.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-14-2023, 05:10 PM

Back a few years ago I was calling elk, the odd bugle but mostly cow / calf chirps and 10 in the morning I see 4 wolves come out on the cut line at about 200 yards, A big black male, a salt and pepper female and a couple pups, I smoked the female and the other 3 bolted, that night about 500 yards from there I was calling elk again and the 2 pups came back on the cut line, mistake huge mistake bang bang more room at the dinner table tonight. The 300 RUM with a 180 accubond makes a mess of them.
Wolf.jpg

Wolves..jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the replies and pm’s. Lots of great advice. Hopefully I can provide a post in the coming weeks with successful results.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
My experience with wolves is like calling any other big game animal you need to encounter them at the right distance for calling.
They are territorial and if you come across their fresh sign, then try calling/howling.

We've done that exact thing, except what happened was buddy heard the wolves calling not too far from camp.

He howled at them and they came in on a string.

Dumped 1 wolf 100 yards from our camp (obviously we had just set up camp and the wolves didn't realize hunters had encroached on their territory).

I knew a family in Swan Hills back in the day, that called wolves successfully every winter. They would travel on snowmobiles until they cut fresh tracks, then call them.

And just like calling any other big game animal, setup to your advantage... sometimes they come, sometimes they don't.
When you say calling, do you mean just the howling?
WDF
Old 12-14-2023, 09:13 PM

Dug out my E.L.K. Howler and ordered some replacement bands. Let's see what the new year brings . Howling one up is still on my bucket list.

https://www.amazon.ca/E-L-K-Wolf-How.../dp/B00AIACROY

Old 12-14-2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
WDF
I generally use a foxpro but open to whatever will work for wolves.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
I generally use a foxpro but open to whatever will work for wolves.
Having a couple under my belt, I feel that they not always as careful as we think they are, Luck is an important factor, I actually caught one sleeping.

Old 12-15-2023, 03:27 PM

A few years ago, I was bow hunting at around the Big Horned dam! One morning I was elk hunting and was chirping using a reed call, to call in an elk. I saw something black coming towards me, and saw it was a wolf so I got ready, then I heard animals around me in the bush. So I stood up and walked out to a cut line where I counted 8 wolves came out to the cutline. Kind of neat! But at the time had me worried!
Old 12-15-2023, 04:00 PM

That should be Bighorn dam!
Old 12-15-2023, 10:13 PM

We saw a huge wolf today while grouse hunting. It was standing in the open and it was HUGE! Black and silver. He was probably 50-60 yards from the road we were on. I didn’t even have time to get my cell phone out for a picture- he took two giant jumps and was gone! Man was he HUGE!
Old 12-15-2023, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
WDF
Yes
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-16-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Yes
Thx
Old 12-20-2023, 07:11 PM

I think finding them is the hard part. Once you're within earshot, they seem to come in. I did have one pack sit out in the open and howl back to me from about 300 yds while a scout snuck in downwind through the bush but other times they've come in like they were on rails.

Lots of other threads on calling wolves that are worth checking out. If you shoot one, stay still and keep calling. The gun shots don't seem to bother them that much. I've had three or four doubles and one of my friends killed 4 and should have had five on one set up. He winged number 2 and when it started ki-yi'ing the rest of the pack rushed back in.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-20-2023, 07:54 PM

Went in the sask forest fringe zone up north a few years back but had no success getting one to come in.

They had season all winter now they cut the season down which sucks because it was a good thing to go to over xmas break.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:23 PM

They will come to an elk bugle & cow chirp if they hear it.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 12-20-2023, 08:38 PM

Called one in with a grunt tube once. Gave us both a good jump!
Old 12-20-2023, 09:22 PM

As my taxidermist once told me, there is no sense calling if they're not around.

Old 12-21-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I think finding them is the hard part. Once you're within earshot, they seem to come in. I did have one pack sit out in the open and howl back to me from about 300 yds while a scout snuck in downwind through the bush but other times they've come in like they were on rails.

Lots of other threads on calling wolves that are worth checking out. If you shoot one, stay still and keep calling. The gun shots don't seem to bother them that much. I've had three or four doubles and one of my friends killed 4 and should have had five on one set up. He winged number 2 and when it started ki-yi'ing the rest of the pack rushed back in.
I’m pretty confident with the amount of fresh tracks I always see that they are around although I also realize they will put on a lot of miles when on the move. The weather looks pretty good for giving it a go the next week, so I hope I can report back with a successful post. Success for me isn’t necessarily shooting one, but at least getting a reasonable view of one coming to a call.

I’ve seen a couple videos of hunters with multiple kills on a stand, and the pup distress for coyotes has always worked well for me. I think the hardest part would be containing the excitement if given a second opportunity.