Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Banned

Default .

And last but not least , if you encounter people fishing at the boat launch , cut their lines , and tell them no fishing here , believe me , people fish in boat launches and docks
Old 05-20-2017, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Amen brother, Amen.

Been to Maligne a few times, and I'm ready to launch but some guy is packing/unpacking his boat at the launch preventing anyone else from launching (narrow launch), I got po'd and carefully backed alongside him. He was eyeballin' me pretty good/givin me the evil eye, to make sure I didn't scratch his truck. I launched and was in/out and on the water fishing and he was still blocking the launch.
What type of boat was this you were launching ?

I thought it was electric motor only on Maligne Lake (Jasper NP) ?

Old 05-20-2017, 08:36 AM

Much like anything else, develop a routine when you launch/load, stick to it and you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
Lots of great advice offered so far.

I would add go down to the launch before you are ready to back in and inspect it. See how far the blocks go, are there any broken ones that you could hang up on or damage your tires? How steep/slippery is the launch and how far do you have to back up to float your boat? Watch others that have similar vehicle/boat to yours to get a sense of that.

Personally I do not undo the bow strap until I have the stern in the water, then I jump out and release. Seen several boats slide off the trailer from sudden braking.
If it's a poorly maintined launch check the depth change past the end of the concrete, nothing worse than dropping your trailer off and hanging up a crossmember.

I leave the safety chain attached until launching and hook it up before pulling out after loading. Forgot to click in my crank winch once, this saved me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Might want to invest in a pair of chest waders for those windy days. I use mine quite a bit while loading.
I was waiting for someone to mention this. Sometimes I end up helping guys I am waiting for who didn't bring them and are struggling cuz they don't want to go in the water.

Quote:
Guide-ons are the posts or bunks you see on many trailers that help to center the boat. They also help a lot to see where the corners of the trailer are when backing. You can get various bolt-on styles depending on your boat type, or even just get a pair of bicycle flags or driveway markers and attach them yourself if you don't need the guides.
PA stocks these and usually puts them on for around half price, I think.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...es/A-p8609786e

Taller guides

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...es/A-p8609778e
Old 05-20-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
What type of boat was this you were launching ?

I thought it was electric motor only on Maligne Lake (Jasper NP) ?

I don't know about John_R1, but lots of us use large freighter canoes or aluminum boats that are trailered, and yes Maligne is electric motors only for civilians. It's a long, narrow, and steep boat ramp that can be quite a challenge for the inexperienced. People feel they need to do all of their packing and organizing right on the ramp at the waters edge. Also, people fishing off the dock at the ramp get all worked up when the boats are coming and going. Also not uncommon for tourist to drive down the ramp and park and get out for a look around. I've seen some pretty wild confrontations there over the years!
Old 05-20-2017, 09:18 PM

Etowncanuc how did go your first launch and loading ?
I hope better than mine
Old 05-20-2017, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hunter View Post
Etowncanuc how did go your first launch and loading ?
I hope better than mine
Maiden Voyage is May 30th
Old 05-21-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Maiden Voyage is May 30th
Good luck. Keep us posted
Old 05-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Angry

Remember boats returning have priority at the launch during bad weather and lend a hand...have seen far too many people wanting to get out on the lake during bad weather and literally block the ramp while boats pile up to get off as a storm approached etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 AM

My dad was a part time trucker and his Best advice is;
- pre plan and stay calm

- complete pre backing up responsibilities....unhook wiring, inspect the boat launch, plug installed, unstrapped etc

- actual backing up.....(I may be repeating someone's earlier comments) place your hand at the bottom of your steering wheel with your knuckles facing up, knuckles up is the key here.
The back of the trailer will move in the same direction as your hand.

- Practice is important....when you first hook up at home, take 5 minutes to do a couple backings in your alley before you head out.

Good luck

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Best things I've learned.

Moose won't move for you if they got to the boat launch first.

The dock is not the boat launch.

Speeding down the boat launch in reverse and slamming on the brakes is not a good boat launch techneque. Yes, that has been tried.

When trying to load your boat it is best to slow the boat down before you reach the tailgate of your truck.

A fifth wheal camper will nit fit across the back of a lake boat.

River sand can be soft. Other people tried it before you, that is why the tractor is parked there.
Try it, the farmer needs new shoes for his kids.

Make sure you have a rope tied to you boat and to something on shore, or held by a helper when launching.
I'm told that it's real embarrassing seeing your boat drift away while you stand by the empty trailer on the launch, watching it leave.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post

I don't know about John_R1, but lots of us use large freighter canoes or aluminum boats that are trailered, and yes Maligne is electric motors only for civilians...
I've never been to Maligne, which is why I asked... I've seen pics of canoes, but wondered if people were launching small aluminums with dual or high-thrust electric motors and/or extra batteries.

But thanks for being condescending !

Old 05-24-2017, 09:37 PM

Never ask your wife to help launch the boat, more than one divorce started at the boat launch. It's amusing watching the antics at a busy launch, I saw a fist fight one day.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:48 PM
Banned

Back your boat up around the block........ 3 or 4 times so you know how to use a trailer. I watched a guy at cold lake last year with a $90,000 boat attempt to launch it for over 1/2hr and there was about 50 other people there watching and waiting. Nobody seemed too impressed.

After you learn how to properly maneuver a trailer

Undo straps (if you're worried leave winch attached until your at the water)
Unplug lights
Put in drain plug
Raise motor
Have bow rope ready
Have paddle ready
Have gear loaded into boat
Launch boat
Tie off boat out of the way
Park truck
Go catch fish.

When you're done

Tie boat off out of the way
Back trailer in just deep enough that you can get your boat on the trailer without it floating sideways.
Attach winch
Tighten winch
Pull off out of everyone's way
Pull plug
Tie down boat
Fillet fish while swatting mosquitoes
Old 05-24-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Fillet fish while swatting mosquitoes
Assuming it is legal to do so.

Just a reminder if you are transporting fish home and it has a minimum or maximum length requirement(as most pike, walleye and lake trout lakes do) the fish must be left whole(can remove guts but must be able to measure length) or you will get ticketed if checked.

I see or hear about this happening every year, the CO's will watch and check people specifically for this at a few lakes such as Cold Lake.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 PM
Banned

-REMOVE TARPS BEFORE THE LAUNCH
-START BOAT TO BE SURE IT WILL
-INSTALL PLUG
-UNDO REAR STRAPS
-POSITION TRUCK/TRAILER SO YOU CAN LOOK OUT SIDE WINDOW AND WATCH IT GO DOWN LAUNCH
-GET THE REAR BUMPER AT THE WATERS EDGE
-JUMP OUT,UNHOOK STRAP AND SAFETY CHAIN
-BACK IN UNTIL THE TRAILER FENDERS ARE ALMOST SUBMERGED AND HIT BRAKES,IF I'M BY MYSELF I PUT THE ANCHOR AND ROPE IN MY BOX AND WHEN THE BOAT SLIDES OFF I GRAB THE ROPE/ANCHOR AND TIE IT OFF,THEN PARK

LOADING:
-SUBMERGE TRAILER UNTIL U CAN ONLY SEE ABOUT 2" OF THE TRAILER FENDERS AND APPROX 3' OF YOUR TRAILER RUNNERS
-TRIM MOTOR UP AND COAST INTO TRAILER
-WHEN YOU HIT THE RUNNERS KEEP THE BOAT IN GEAR AND IT WILL STRAIGHTEN OUT,I PERSONALLY LIKE TO GIVE IT GAS AND DRIVE UP AS FAR AS I CAN THEN HOOK THE STRAP AND SAFETY CHAIN
-THEN I CRANK THE STRAP TIGHT
-TRIM THE ENGINE ALL THE WAY UP AND AWAY YA GO AND YOU ARE OUT OF THE WAY

I can load up on trailer in record time,each boat loads a lil different. Nothing worse then some ****hole holdIng up the launch taking off tarps etc or wading out 20' with the winch strap because they don't want to learn to load.Make sure your motor will start and is trimmed up on the way in and out.Another key point is to have your hitch set so that the boat trailer rides perfectly level,too high and the front of the boat will hit the winch and the back end will float off to the side.When its windy I leave more of the runners out of the water to guide me on.

Hope this helps,my last boat seen 75+ lakes and many of them multiple times.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:00 PM

One thing nobody covered - and far too many people seem to do this .....

Don't be scared to get your trailer wet! Avoids the damage done to your boat, your bunks and the scouring of the soil between the blocks on the launch when you POWER LOAD your boat.

Take note when launching at what point your boat floats off freely. On my boat is right when the water reaches the top of the side guides.

When I load it up I have the trailer a couple inches shallower (with more side guide showing above water).

That way (when loading back up) I coast onto the trailer at a "walking speed" and she slides up the bunks and stops about 12" short of the yoke. Having it just shallower to the float off depth allows enough friction on the bunks when you coast in to center and align the boat, but also avoids coming in too fast and damaging your yoke or bow.

When my regular fishing partner and I go out - it's in the water within 30 seconds, and back out in under a minute. He usually drives the truck - I glide on, he affixes the strap, gives it a couple cranks, snaps on the safety chain, and jumps back in the truck and we are off the launch.

It's all about a routine, some practice, and getting to know what launch and load depth you need according the angle of the launch. On my boat, like I said, it's easy because the point of reference is the water level on the side guide.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post

LOADING:
-SUBMERGE TRAILER UNTIL U CAN ONLY SEE ABOUT 2" OF THE TRAILER FENDERS AND APPROX 3' OF YOUR TRAILER RUNNERS

You can't give specific measurements that apply to every boat/hull and trailer configuration - each one of my boats has been a little bit different.

That probably works for your boat, but would be, literally, over 12" too dry for my boat and I would absolutely wreck my boat as I'd likely ram my cross member coming in at that height. None of my bunks are dry when either launching or loading either.

Not trying to call you out or offend you, but wanted to clarify so that the OP understands that each boat is going to be a little different and practice and observation is what he will need to do before finding that sweet spot.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You can't give specific measurements that apply to every boat/hull and trailer configuration - each one of my boats has been a little bit different.

That probably works for your boat, but would be, literally, over 12" too dry for my boat and I would absolutely wreck my boat as I'd likely ram my cross member coming in at that height. None of my bunks are dry when either launching or loading either.

Not trying to call you out or offend you, but wanted to clarify so that the OP understands that each boat is going to be a little different and practice and observation is what he will need to do before finding that sweet spot.
yes,I noted each boat is diff.I have loaded 3 of my own boats this way and 2-3 borrowed ones but ya good point.Even the steepness of launches will vary the trailer depth.

Last edited by FISHBATTEREDBEER; 05-24-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Banned

This is not a launching/loading tip but I always ask someone if there are any dangerous spots on each body of water or find depth maps.I will follow other boats at first or go slow,set a depth alarm on your fish finder as well.I almost always wear my safety kill switch on my wrist too.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
And last but not least , if you encounter people fishing at the boat launch , cut their lines , and tell them no fishing here , believe me , people fish in boat launches and docks
Yup and that'll make you well liked too...remember for every line cut there may be a tuffer than you guy at the other end...one who doesn't sit behind a keyboard and is just not nice...

To the OP just avoid the high traffic times at popular launches if you can or go park walk up, set up a lawn chair and watch the show, way better than tv.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Banned

To the OP just avoid the high traffic times at popular launches if you can or go park walk up, set up a lawn chair and watch the show, way better than tv.

yup we use to take buddies golf cart(with a whiskey) down to the launch and watch performances at Shaws Point.We seen a boat come off the hitch and into the drink and a truck and boat go in,the ebrake just didn't hold.My buddy can't help but burst into loud laughter. Seen a guy revving his boat in reverse for 5 min until he remembered the straps were still on.A few "no plug" launches.Another guy got his wife to drive the truck and came back almost 10 min later because he forgot she wanted to come.Many guys coming in hot and crashing into the shore/dock or launching off their trailer.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 AM

Everything has been covered as far as I read. I didn't see one tip that makes life easier when there is no boat on your trailer, as it can be hard to back the trailer up because of you can't see it. Open your tailgate makes it a lot easier to see. I drive a dually and with out the tailgate down by the time my trailer comes into view it's to late to correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Everything has been covered as far as I read. I didn't see one tip that makes life easier when there is no boat on your trailer, as it can be hard to back the trailer up because of you can't see it. Open your tailgate makes it a lot easier to see. I drive a dually and with out the tailgate down by the time my trailer comes into view it's to late to correct it.

this is why I said to position your boat/trailer so you can look out the side window.Like you would be turning left if you were pulling out.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post

I hate that! Went to coal lake last year. It was a week night so not busy. There was a guy and his girlfriend on the launch fishing, I had to ask him to move and he got mad at me! Same with go to the Devon boat launch and see the canoers there. They unpack take selfies ever had a wife and husband toasting a glass of whine on the boat launch while a big line up waited for them lol. Sorry for the derail!

Old 05-25-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post

For those that still can't see the trailer, side mount guide-ons or even just bolted on driveway reflectors, can also help a lot.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Here's a tip if you are a greenhorn... If you go to a busy boat launch and you are in line with others behind you...swallow your pride and go to the guy behind you in the line up with the nicest biggest boat waiting to launch. Offer him 20 to 40 bucks to back your boat trailer in and help launch your boat. Give him the key to your truck and wait by the water. I say the guy with the nicest boat is because he most likely knows how to back a trailer in and launch his boat real good.. and he wants to launch his boat quickly too.

Go in the middle of the week to a quiet launch and practice. Don't practice on the busy days. Also try practicing unloading and loading up on rough water too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I've never been to Maligne, which is why I asked... I've seen pics of canoes, but wondered if people were launching small aluminums with dual or high-thrust electric motors and/or extra batteries.

But thanks for being condescending !

Sorry you took it that way, that was my intention.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Remember boats returning have priority at the launch during bad weather and lend a hand...have seen far too many people wanting to get out on the lake during bad weather and literally block the ramp while boats pile up to get off as a storm approached etc.
Great advice there!

When you navigate and load/unload a boat before and after an Ontario walleye tourney, you've earned your stripes.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:01 PM

Boat launch entertainment is where I learned that if you forget to unstrap your boat from the trailer and keep going deeper - the boat will float your trailer right off the ground.

That was pretty funny and unexpected. The guys launching and us yelling over to warn them when we noticed caused us all to have a good laugh.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Guide-ons are the posts or bunks you see on many trailers that help to center the boat. They also help a lot to see where the corners of the trailer are when backing. You can get various bolt-on styles depending on your boat type, or even just get a pair of bicycle flags or driveway markers and attach them yourself if you don't need the guides.
Definitely side bunks are a must, posts at the very least. Not only do they help keep the boat on track with side wind/waves, in busy launches with very silty water, you know exactly where your trailer is under water.

One more thing, don't leave your trailer in the water any longer than absolutely necessary. Bad for the trailer, bad for the lake.