Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What's the Spring grain going to be good for? Someone told me that it would grade "sample" but that doesn't mean anything to me.
It depends on a lot. I've help harvest crops left over winter that sold for a lower grade then it would have in the fall but otherwise was no different then fall harvested crops.

I've also seen crops that were beyond salvage for any purpose.

We get grades from #2 to feed, ( animal feed ) to ink grade for canola.

Making ink is the last step towards the garbage heap for canola. That' s what happens to severely heated canola or moldy canola.

I don't know of any use for moldy Wheat, Oats or Barley.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
As a former combine tech seeing that makes your skin crawl. Not much worse that laying on your back inside of a machine and having them little buggers falling on ya.
I can hear the call coming into service right now " Hi, I'm getting real high readings on my sieve loss monitor and can't figure out what's wrong"

Hoping for the best outcome possible for the landowners affected.

They smell a lot worse then they look, in the sieves.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-04-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
every grower on here should pay attention ...mice spring is not accepted by any food buying company , ....fed you your mice and feed hinto yur hogs ....... oh well good story but all BS
Did it ever occur to you that this barley crop is being combined simply to get rid of it? Burning the field isn't a great option, and plowing it under will make this years crop an absolute mess.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by focalpoint View Post
Did it ever occur to you that this barley crop is being combined simply to get rid of it? Burning the field isn't a great option, and plowing it under will make this years crop an absolute mess.

Burning is how you get rid of it. Combing only makes sense if you can sell it.
Harvesting a crop costs a lot of money, a lot more then burning and disking it under. Very few plow things under these days.

Health guidelines allow for a small amount of non grain product in a bushel of product.

If you were to examine the gain in the combine, in that field, you would not likely see any evidence of those mice, in the grain.

However, it's unlikely that any spring harvested crop would grade high enough for human consumption.

So you have nothing to worry about except the goose poo, deer pee, combine parts, insects, and other contaminates that make their way onto your dinner table via fruits vegetables, grains, meat products, and dairy.

Think of it as added protein.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-04-2017, 11:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
the reason for the thread was looking for sympathy as to why his crop is still out and to the fact no major grain company will buy it ... because of the pic show MICE and disease infected to the point the companies won't but it for food production ... good on them .. to the farmer ..next year
That really grossed you out did it ?

No shame in that. It is gross.

But it's not the OPs crop or his combine.

I suspect he posted it because it grossed him out and he wanted to share the misery. That is considered normal these days.

Now the really disgusting news, for you, is that he will have no trouble selling the grain. But it will most likely sell as feed grain, for livestock consumption.

That's you next prime rib steak, or pork chop right there.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-05-2017, 05:23 AM

If the crop had been left standing I doubt very much that mice in the sieves would be an issue. I can not for the life of me understand why crops are still being swathed, work smarter not harder.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:25 AM

The standing crops I have seen are now flatter than a pancake.....snow took them down. They are the biggest mess you could imagine, laying every which way......
Old 04-05-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
That really grossed you out did it ?

No shame in that. It is gross.

But it's not the OPs crop or his combine.

I suspect he posted it because it grossed him out and he wanted to share the misery. That is considered normal these days.

Now the really disgusting news, for you, is that he will have no trouble selling the grain. But it will most likely sell as feed grain, for livestock consumption.

That's you next prime rib steak, or pork chop right there.
...and here was me thinking "That looks like a nice crop of Prairie Sushi".....
Old 04-05-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
If the crop had been left standing I doubt very much that mice in the sieves would be an issue. I can not for the life of me understand why crops are still being swathed, work smarter not harder.
I've had to harvest snowed down cereals 2 out of the last 3 years. The crop I have left out has been swathed and I am so thankful for that. Anything around here that was standing was flattened like a pancake the beginning of October. I feel for the guys who still have to deal with that. If there is a mice problem the once standing crops will be dealing with that too as they scrape the mud to get their crop off.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:07 AM

I think this is the by product of the mechanical age we live in. I think the only way to avoid this is to go to the ancient way the Egyptians and Canaanites did.
Hand beating on a threshing floor. Sure might be good for seasonal employment.

For me I am glad that several years ago I chose a gluten and mostly grain free diet. Now all I have to worry about is how my meat can be contaminated. I hope no one has pics that can turn me off rib eye or strip loin?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Banned

What a lovely conversation to read over morning coffee and buttered toast

There's lots in our food supply that people don't want to hear about. Thinking back, picking raspberries and eating them off the vine, how many insects got ingested.

All good for the immune system. And living in a sanitary world, it's needed.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=silverdoctor;3510470]What a lovely conversation to read over morning coffee and buttered toast

There's lots in our food supply that people don't want to hear about. Thinking back, picking raspberries and eating them off the vine, how many insects got ingested.

All good for the immune system. And living in a sanitary world, it's needed.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean living in a sterile world is not needed?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
...and here was me thinking "That looks like a nice crop of Prairie Sushi".....
EEEeeeeewwwww!!!! LOL

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-05-2017, 08:57 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=covey ridge;3510490]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
What a lovely conversation to read over morning coffee and buttered toast

All good for the immune system. And living in a sanitary world, it's needed.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean living in a sterile world is not needed?
We live in a sanitary bubble. We need non-sterile for the immune system.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
I think most of the crops around here that were left standing will be down and sprouted before the fields are dry enough to get on. It will be almost impossible to swath without cutting all of the heads off.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=silverdoctor;3510495]
Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post

We live in a sanitary bubble. We need non-sterile for the immune system.
I have read many times that we need good bacteria living in our gut to be healthy and we need to take in a bit of good bacteria every day. That said, I can not wrap my head around bacteria from rancid mouse carcasses being good in any way, not to mention hanta virus that survives in dry deer mouse urine. No expert here, but I think many of those mice in the original pic may be deer mice.

BTW the above quote is not mine. I think when I first replied to silverdoctor I screwed up.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
every grower on here should pay attention ...mice spring is not accepted by any food buying company , ....fed you your mice and feed hinto yur hogs ....... oh well good story but all BS
Actually spring thrashed flax can still grade 1CW. Mice or no mice.

Enjoy your toast Sally.

Looper
Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=covey ridge;3510530]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

I have read many times that we need good bacteria living in our gut to be healthy and we need to take in a bit of good bacteria every day. That said, I can not wrap my head around bacteria from rancid mouse carcasses being good in any way, not to mention hanta virus that survives in dry deer mouse urine. No expert here, but I think many of those mice in the original pic may be deer mice.

BTW the above quote is not mine. I think when I first replied to silverdoctor I screwed up.
Get a vacci... oh wait.

Disease exists. Viruses, bateria etc, they aren't going away. That's reality. There's still bubonic plague in North America, handful of people get infected every year. Can't live life in fear of getting sick, it happens.

Don't know what it's like now, but working in point of sale years ago was an eye opener. The back end of some grocery stores would make the average person run screaming into the night. Some restaurants? There's good reason I won't dine out on certain ethnic foods.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I think most of the crops around here that were left standing will be down and sprouted before the fields are dry enough to get on. It will be almost impossible to swath without cutting all of the heads off.
......and no matter what, the crop/straw will still have to be dealt with in order to seed future crops......a crappy deal all around. Judging by some of the comments on this thread, this notion escapes some.

As for swath vs. standing last fall. Given a choice, I would rather deal with it in a swath than had having it left standing and then leveled flat to the ground.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
He's a grain buyer for UGG
Well at least now I know that he has a clue about it and doesnt sit in an office chair 40 stories off the ground in Edmonton.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Well at least now I know that he has a clue about it and doesnt sit in an office chair 40 stories off the ground in Edmonton.
Some grain buyers do spend their days 40 stories above the streets of a city and have never set foot on a farm and never will.
Some don't even know what a kernel of wheat looks like, tastes like or feels like.

Most never meet the farmer who grew the wheat they buy or see the trucks from the field/farm unloading.

Of course some do know. I expect that some are even farmers themselves.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I don't envy anyone who still has grain out.....I pity them !!

I got this pic from a friend. Supposedly taken somewhere in Sask., in a swathed barley field .

That explains the higher than normal coyote populations. And hawks and magpies and ravens, and deer. More food for all.
The best solution for farmers is burning. That's if it's not too dry when the time comes to allow burning...too muddy to get in the field with tractors, firetrucks now.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:25 PM

Beaver and Flagstaff county no burning permits will be issued, for now.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Banned

Found this interesting

Quote:

Using and Feeding Spring Threshed Grain - Frequently Asked Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happens to a crop quality when it over winters in the swath?
Straw deteriorates from microbial activity. The straw turns grey from weathering, bacterial and fungal growth, and spores formation. If the cereal grain or oilseeds sprout, starch is converted to sugar, and bushel weights drop. In canola and flax, the free fatty acid content of the seed increases due to oxidation and rancidity can be a problem.
What impact does this have on the nutritional quality of the grain and straw?
Grain that has stayed in the swath over winter typically looses bushel weight. The drop in weight is from the loss of starch because of microbial activity. Energy content per pound of grain is lower than for the same grain in the fall. Protein levels remain constant or tend to increase slightly.

Straw can be partially degraded by microbial activity before consumption. The digestion rates of the straw may be improved. Fungi produce spores, which can cause atypical interstitial pneumonia in cattle.

How do you compensate for energy loss as bushel weights drop?
Energy content in grains is not dramatically affected until 10% of normal bushel weight is lost. At 44-pounds per bushel for barley, energy content and utilization is reduced. Increase barley fed in the ration by 5 to 10% to maintain energy content in the ration. The same recommendations apply to oats and other cereal grains when bushel weights are lower than normal.

Can cows be turned out into the crop to graze the swaths that are not combined?
No. Crops that over winter typically are fully mature. The amount of grain in the swath is 40 to 60% of the total weight. There is a high risk of bloat, grain overload, scours, or acidosis if allowed free access to the swaths.

If grazing is used to clean up areas that are too wet and soft to combine, controlled grazing in these situations is a must. An electric fence is needed to limit feed the remaining swaths. A high level of management is required for success with this grazing system. Adjust the mineral supplement program to compensate for low calcium and magnesium levels in the swath material.

What contaminants can be present in the grain?
Deer and mouse excrement are the biggest concern. Manure and urine found in the swath results in fouled grain and contaminated straw. The smell from the urine, or fecal contamination can result in feed refusal. Cleaning or screening out the manure, or diluting down the spring threshed grain with other grains may be necessary to improve intake.

Salmonella contamination may also be present. If young calves are offered spring threshed grain that contains salmonella, digestive upset and scours may occur. If in doubt, feed this grain to older or mature animals.

Are there health hazards to humans when handling spring-threshed grains?
Hantavirus from deer mouse droppings is possible. Wear a respirator mask to prevent inhaling the particles that may contain the hantavirus. Wear gloves and coveralls to minimize skin contact with the grains.

Salmonella can also be present. Salmonella is spread through the feces from animal to animal, or animal to humans. Good sanitation practices and avoiding direct contact is the best preventative measure. Always wear gloves and coveralls to prevent contact.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/faq9899
Old 04-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quick call Monsanto and get them to create some crops that kill mice but are safe for human consumption!! lol
Old 04-06-2017, 07:49 PM

I stopped to visit a friend today while he was dumping a load of hrsw they'd just combined. It didn't look too bad, probably grade a 3. Some deer **** in it, couldn't see any mouse ****. You city guys will never know what was in it once RobinHood and McGavins are done with it.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-06-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I stopped to visit a friend today while he was dumping a load of hrsw they'd just combined. It didn't look too bad, probably grade a 3. Some deer **** in it, couldn't see any mouse ****. You city guys will never know what was in it once RobinHood and McGavins are done with it.
I wouldn't touch the RobinHood and McGavins because it is made with country chit. I would rather have someone feed the country chit to pigs and have slow cooked pork. Come to think of it pork tasted better when the pigs were slopped
Old 04-06-2017, 09:09 PM

Decided to let a neighbor pasture our 100 aces (aprx) of standing from last year, rather than cutting.
Better deal for us rather than hoping weather allows baling in late summer or fall.

TBark
Old 04-06-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I wouldn't touch the RobinHood and McGavins because it is made with country chit. I would rather have someone feed the country chit to pigs and have slow cooked pork. Come to think of it pork tasted better when the pigs were slopped
Slow cooked and pulled, I just finished rubbing my meat for tomorrow's feast!

Gonna need some buns, probably too soon for this springs wheat to be hitting store shelves, I'll take my chances.

Hogs were better slopped and rolling in mud than they are today.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-06-2017, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I just finished rubbing my meat for tomorrow's feast!
never going to your place for supper