Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2017, 08:31 PM

We're still working on drying some we took last fall. It was waaayyyyy too tough, but it's inside without all the rodent problems. At least we have a chance at keeping it in condition.

Good luck gittin'er done guys. It's going to be a long ****ty spring, stay safe.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-04-2017, 08:32 PM

The difference between spring and fall mouse populations would be ASTRONOMICAL !! The mice have had 5 months to populate and thrive in a near perfect environment, basically protected from a majority of their predators. Mice can have a litter of 8 to 15 young per month, and their young can start to reproduce at one month of age. I'm no mathematician but one pair could produce a bunch of offspring in 5 months of perfect conditions.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:37 PM

bottom line is MICE or chit in the food chain is out the door ..so sorry ... the pic was and is stupid ... no sympathy here ...
Old 04-04-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
bottom line is MICE or chit in the food chain is out the door ..so sorry ... the pic was and is stupid ... no sympathy here ...
I don't understand your angle here. What are you so mad about?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:57 PM

not mad at any thing .. why show a poor and sick pic that's introduced into our food chain .. what's the purpose of showing mice in the food chain .. maybe the grower cant sell it ? or do you wanna feed that to your kids and grand kids ? answer it yourself

I cud give a mouses"s arse whether it's in the combine now , you lost money so what ? ... KEEP it cause you just started a big issue ...
Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
I don't understand your angle here. What are you so mad about?
Thinking the same.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Banned

Think someone needs their safe place
Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 PM

The majority of barley and wheat combined this spring will probably end up being fed back to livestock.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Thinking the same.
the reason for the thread was looking for sympathy as to why his crop is still out and to the fact no major grain company will buy it ... because of the pic show MICE and disease infected to the point the companies won't but it for food production ... good on them .. to the farmer ..next year
Old 04-04-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
The majority of barley and wheat combined this spring will probably end up being fed back to livestock.
I hope you know what that means and wear mad cow came from , feeding animal parts backto our food chain ... CAUSE it was cheap .... not to mention CWD ...go for it
Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
the reason for the thread was looking for sympathy as to why his crop is still out and to the fact no major grain company will buy it ... because of the pic show MICE and disease infected to the point the companies won't but it for food production ... good on them .. to the farmer ..next year
Huh? I think you are going to have to type slower or clearer for me to understand what your putting down.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 PM

I don't own any crop.....and as has already been pointed out to you, the mice are on the sieves, about to be spit out the back of the combine. And I'm not looking for sympathy. Merely showing the farm related guys what could be in store for them as they try to work with any crop still out. I'm sure the ag guys find it interesting.....
Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Re-read the original post.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I don't own any crop.....and as has already been pointed out to you, the mice are on the sieves, about to be spit out the back of the combine. And I'm not looking for sympathy. Merely showing the farm related guys what could be in store for them as they try to work with any crop still out. I'm sure the ag guys find it interesting.....
Thank you, made me not miss combines as much. Air seeder fans gonna be running soon to fill small parts of the void.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 PM

every grower on here should pay attention ...mice spring is not accepted by any food buying company , ....fed you your mice and feed hinto yur hogs ....... oh well good story but all BS
Old 04-04-2017, 09:26 PM

Default Mouse or Moose

I was out north of Vulcan today. I saw combines and trucks working in a field. The worst I could imagine was maybe mould. That was till I saw the mouse picture.

Moose are more interesting. Saw this pair right off the 23 in a slew. When I got closer it appeared to be an old cow and a very large bull calf. Sorry for the pic quality. From my phone.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 PM

very nice ..just how does this equate to MICE and chit in a combine coming to your food store ...geeeze what are you people missing
Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
every grower on here should pay attention ...mice spring is not accepted by any food buying company , ....fed you your mice and feed hinto yur hogs ....... oh well good story but all BS
Try that in Engrish. What's your problem? We always screen the mice out of our food grade wheat.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what's your occupation and profession? Just curious.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
Try that in Engrish. What's your problem? We always screen the mice out of our food grade wheat.
Maybe we could genetically modify some rodents that will make them gluten intolerant so they will stay out of wheat fields. Might make people feel better.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
very nice ..just how does this equate to MICE and chit in a combine coming to your food store ...geeeze what are you people missing

Drunk much ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Maybe we could genetically modify some rodents that will make them gluten intolerant so they will stay out of wheat fields. Might make people feel better.
Now there's an idea! I'm a mechanic at a grain trucking company, and I still occasionally get to go out on the road and see what's in grain bins. LOL Hey, it's all fiber.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what's your occupation and profession? Just curious.
He's a grain buyer for UGG
Old 04-04-2017, 09:42 PM

Protein man, protein. Ha!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2017, 09:44 PM

Rio56, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at but spring thrashed grain will hardly be suitable for cattle feed. There is no chance that it will make any grade that will get it into a human food chain.

There are insects and spiders ground up into peanut butter also but I still eat it.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-04-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Rio56, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at but spring thrashed grain will hardly be suitable for cattle feed. There is no chance that it will make any grade that will get it into a human food chain.

There are insects and spiders ground up into peanut butter also but I still eat it.
I'll be thrilled if my swathed wheat goes feed.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
WHAT???? Ahhh never mind. Wow
Old 04-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Banned

What's the Spring grain going to be good for? Someone told me that it would grade "sample" but that doesn't mean anything to me.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Spring or fall what’s the differents I am sure it happens more than you think just think for a minute bakeries etc.stuff you never hear of unless someone takes a pic or reports it .Just saying
Big difference. In the fall there are always a few mice, but they have not had enough time to build up.

By spring each female has had one or more litters. And up to four I believe.
I'm told that they become reproductively mature at one month of age, so babies born in November could also have up to two litters by spring.

Whatever the case, I know that a field with a population of let's say, 100 mice per acre in the fall can have 10,000 per acre in the spring.

On top of that, in the fall the swaths sit more or less on top of the stubble which means that as the combine lifts the swath, the mice jump down onto the ground and escape.

Come spring those same swaths are sitting on the ground and any mouse in them has to dig his way out the side to escape or what happens more often is they have runways at ground level which they use to try to run down to escape. Problem is those runways run length ways to the swath, so the combine overtakes them and they get picked up in the swath.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-04-2017, 10:43 PM

Quite likely nothing......but you still need to get rid of the crop before you can seed this year.