Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 PM

Default Alaska Help!

Hey everyone,

So, my wife and I have always wanted to do a roadtrip to Alaska... So I've spent the last two weeks plotting out a trip from Stony Plain to Anchorage. She doesn't know about the trip, as I'm going to be giving her the itinerary for her birthday... Along with a bucket (Bucket list ), an Alaskan Flag, and a new tent, as we will be camping the whole time.

This thread is kind of a 2 in 1... First, is my question for help... I am hoping someone will be able to send me a blank post card in an envelope that I can give to her... I will need it by may 5, as I will be giving her the gift on her birthday the following day. I can pay you for the cost of the card, and for postage through EMT.

Second, is anything that is a must do/see on my way up. We will be driving from Stony Plain to Fort Nelson, then to Whitehorse, then to Anchorage, again, camping the whole way, and making our own food for the most part to keep the cost down. I also still need to get a copy of "The Milepost," as I've had that recommended to me several times.

In exchange for your tips, I'll be sure to do a full report when I return. The dates of the trip are (tentatively) July 27-August 6.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice!

Jeff
Old 04-24-2017, 01:32 PM

Awesome trip, done it a couple of times. I would count on taking twice as long. Stony Plain to Anchorage return is over 6000 kms. WAY too much to see in 10 days. Could skip Alaska and tour the Yukon and save a couple thousand kms. Would also use Stewart Carriar Highway one way to avoid so much overlap, BEAUTIFUL LOOP. GN
Old 04-24-2017, 01:44 PM

Yeah, not sure 10 days is enough. As genoel said take the Cassiar highway. From Stony go up to Watson lake, take the road north there that goes thru Faro, comes out north of Carmacks, up to Dawson City then back down thru Whitehorse to Watson Lake to get on the Cassiar. Make sure to stop at Liard River hotsprings. Alaska would have to be a separate trip next year....
Old 04-24-2017, 02:51 PM

Don't leave the bug spray at home. D.H.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 PM

If the old Watson Lake hotel is still open that's definitely worth looking at as they have pictures from the 19 hundreds in there hunting and fishing there also used to be a small Museum in Watson lake with the number 2 Stone sheep in

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post

. . . The dates of the trip are (tentatively) July 27-August 6 . . .

- As has already been mentioned, that's ^ not anywhere near enough time (Stony Plain to Anchorage and back, in 10 days ).
- Those ^ dates also indicate you plan on doing it during the 'High Season'. I wouldn't recommend that either, if you can help it.
Consider rethinking your plans, and let us know what you come up with.

Selkirk
Old 04-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Banned

some VERY good advice here......we've been up twice and you'll be spending your whole time with the pedal to the metal if you try to do Alaska.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 PM

That's a pretty ambitious time line but it could be done. From past experience - Leduc to Fort Nelson 12 hrs, Fort Nelson to Watson Lake 7 hrs, Watson to Whitehorse 7 hrs, Watson to Anchorage 13 hrs. That's three 12-14 hr days driving, pee/gas stops only. And that's in good weather and light traffic. Summer is road construction season...throws a bit of a wrench into estimated time lines.
At that time of year we are swamped in motor homes and travel trailers. There are VERY few passing lanes and traffic backs up. Between FSJ and Pink Mountain,,,,lots of hills to climb and curves. After Pink the road is more open for passing until north of FN and then it gets tight again...all the way to Watson.
It depends on what you want...a trip to Alaska, with 4 days to see the sights and 6 full days of driving OR a first leg trip to Whitehorse and enjoy the stops along the way.
Check out Tourismnorthernrockies.ca Lots of good info. Some of the interesting stops:
Old Alaska Hwy route to Kistkatinaw Ravine, Taylor Hill and the Peace River Valley, Fort Nelson Museum, Summit Lake(camping), Tetsa River(camping), Whirl Pool Canyon (tight road/trail), Smith River Falls (tight road/trail), Muncho Lake Lodge, Strawberry Flats(camping), Liard Hot Springs(camping), Watson Lake Sign Post Forest ....as just a few suggestions.
That's a long drive and Murphy always finds a way....

Last edited by Rugersingle; 04-24-2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: timeline
Old 04-24-2017, 08:39 PM

liard hot springs . we spent one night on the way north and three days on the way back .
Old 04-24-2017, 08:40 PM

what kind of post card are you lookng for ?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:04 PM

Watch out for the damn bison around pink mountain. Also liard hot springs for sure!!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 PM

You are getting good advice.
If you want to enjoy your trip, forget anything beyond Kluane.
Definitely go one way on the Cassiar and stop in to Stewart/Hyder.
Skagway, Haines will take you from Alpine Glaciers down to ocean side rainforest....totally amazing.
You'll figure it out after a few days....we all did.
Have a great trip.

oh yeah, no point passing the motorhome in front of you, cause there will be a hundreds more;....full of great people to chat with in the campgrounds.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Banned

Was thinking the same thing a couple of months ago.
Have two weeks vacation this summer and was thinking driving to Anchorage and then the ferry from their to Port Moody.
My two sons have never seen the ocean and though this a great trip.
The more I looked into it, and talked to others who've done it... I realized it was just not going to be enough time. Still want to do the ocean so we're instead heading to Prince Rupert for some camping their and then the ferry to Port Moody.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 AM

From anchorage do a day trip to talkeetna. Also n of talkeetna there is a viewing area where sometimes you can see denali. Drive s of achorage to the kenai. It is just fricken beutiful. Soldatna is great. Seward is not as nice but has a great marine center. Starting line for Iditarod near wasilla pretty good.

As mentioned on the way Liard is quite nice. Sheep mountain just past Haines Junction.

Thats a lot of drivin but if you are up for it you can go to anchorage. Then up to Fairbanks and back. If time allows take the top of the world highway from Tok to Dawson and you have seen it all.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Wow, guys!

So many people can't be wrong, So I've decided tor e-evaluate the trip and take an alternate destination.

I'm wanting to take her to a coast, so I think I will be driving down to Great Falls, and then west to Seattle. I've been most of that way, and I think it'll still be scenic, and will give her a few more options for shopping along the way

Thank you SO MUCH for all of your insight. Alaska will remain on the bucket list for now... But it will still be nice to be kid free for a little while and enjoy an adult week.

Now, if you have any "Must See's" for that trip, let me know!

-Jeff
Old 04-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Banned

One other thing to consider.
2017 is the 75th anniversary of the Alaska Highway...many towns and communities are planning celebrations.
If you're into that, fine...but I have a feeling campsites and such are going to be hard to come by this year.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Default Alaska

The bus trip through Denali national park is worth a look as well, but the buses could use an upgrade.
As a side note, see if you can find a highway sign that is not shot up, I couldn't.