Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 08:29 AM

Default Tennis Elbow Treatment?

Has anyone successfully treated tennis elbow? I've had a fairly mild, but annoying and long lasting (6+ months) case of tennis elbow. I was curious if anyone has tried any of the treatments out there available, such as laser or shock wave type things, and if so, if you felt it was worth the $?
Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 AM

Default Physiotherapy

Go to Physio.

After they fix your tennis elbow you will be able to use the excercises to treat it again or on your other arm on your own.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:39 AM

Having been dealing with this for over a year, it was determined (via an MRI) that I tore my left common extensor. So unfortunately for me it will not get better (lucky for me it's my non-dominant arm).

As the previous responder mentioned, go to physio! Restrict use, massage, specific stretches & ultra sound all work depending on the severity of your injury. Mary-Alice Brennan (at Brennan & Associates) specializes in this injury (she was one of the therapists that WCB sent me to) and was (some what) helpful for me (but success was limited because mine was a tear).

P

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 04-24-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 AM

This works. You can use the tube of a bike tire too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dgbCDtqdlI

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 AM

Physio helped me a great deal with my chronic tennis elbow, but taking Glucosamine and using straps while working out helped just as much. I had a lot of scar tissue in both arms, so it took a while to break it down, but I haven't had issues in several years now.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 AM

Do not do the below (until you are healed)!! You will only aggravate and worsen your injury!!

-Confucius
Old 04-24-2017, 08:51 AM

I got it when building my house and garage. I got a TENS unit and it straightened it right out. Zero problems since.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 AM

I got it from running a chainsaw clearing my property once. I waited a year to see a physio. Once I did, I got the electroshock to break the inflam and then had them rub the heck out of it. I went for a month and it's been all better since.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 AM

Tennis elbow is inflammation without healing. Most resolve within 12 months (>90%). The problem is that is a long time with pain.

The best for quick action relief is steroid injection. I have had two injections and the pain is significantly better where I can actually use my arm. On top of that Naproxen works to help reduce the inflammation. It is important to treat it right away rather than wait, this issue can become chronic.

Surgery for tennis elbow is basically making the injury worse so the healing process starts rather than the non-healing inflammation.

I've had tennis elbow for 4 months and before my injection I was unable to use my arm. Since than Naproxen has helped. Most likely will get another injection in a month or so.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Banned

The medical term for Tennis Elbow is: Bursitis or Acute Bursitis and it can effect several areas, mine was the elbow as well.

Bursitis treatment usually involves conservative measures, such as rest, ice and taking a pain reliever. If conservative measures don't work, treatment may include medication.

Treatment options:

Medication. If the inflammation in your bursa is caused by an infection, your doctor might prescribe an antibiotic.

Therapy. Your doctor may recommend physical therapy or exercises to strengthen the muscles in the affected area to ease pain and prevent recurrence.

Injections. Your doctor may inject a corticosteroid drug into the bursa to relieve inflammation in your shoulder or hip. This treatment generally brings rapid pain relief and, in many cases, one injection is all you need.

I got it by shoveling the god dam snow a couple of years ago, man was that ever painful and it lasted for months! Rest is the only thing that helped me, rest plus making my girlfriend shovel the snow!

Best of luck, I feel your pain!!!

Last edited by 338 Rules; 04-24-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:09 AM

No it's actually "Lateral Epicondylitis"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post
The medical term for Tennis Elbow is: Bursitis or Acute Bursitis

-Confucius
Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
No it's actually "Lateral Epicondylitis"!
Bingo. It is where your extensors are anchored.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Banned

You may be correct! I know I had Acute Bursitis of the elbow and the OP's symptoms sounded familiar, I guess only a doctor will be able to tell for sure.

For more info go to: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20015102

In any case again, best of luck sure hope you don't play golf, it ruined my golf season!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:01 PM

I had it so bad I couldn't hold a coffee cup without pain. I had the shot of cortisone and the pain was gone.I took it easy with that arm for awhile. Now I'm fine thank God.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 01:11 PM

I had it not as bad as some for sure but it would flare up when running my chainsaw or splitting wood went to Dr Randy Gregg in Edmonton he recommended some rubber band exercises and a compression sleeve made with Bamboo Fibers and its been good for me.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Do not do the below (until you are healed)!! You will only aggravate and worsen your injury!!

The Flossing Bands can help to break up and scar tissue and speed your recovery. Don't over do it and agrivate the injury.

You can use a brace for short periods where you are going to be doing repeditive elbow motions. Again do not wear it all the time just when you need to (and only for a hour or two at a time tops).

http://solutions.3mcanada.ca/wps/por...293853620&rt=d

Light exercise that work the muscles in the forarm are your route to a recovery. It wont be quick but will get you to a recovered state.

Try some of these once to twice a day:

Baoding Balls (Google them they are easy to use anywhere just a few min at a time 1 - 4 times a day).

Towel twists (exactly what it sounds like twist a tea towel like you are wringing water out of it 10-12 reps)

Wrist Flexation (use a light (1-2 lbs) dumbell (or can of chunky soup). Rest your elbow on your knee while seated holding the weight in your hand. Curl the weight towards your inner forarm (palm facing up) moving only the wrist. Repeat for 10-12 reps.

Wrist extension (similar to the Wrist Flexation only extend the wrist the other way. You should bring the back of your hand towards your forarm/elbow.

Wrist Supination (Seated with the elbow resting on your knee holding a light dumbbell (1-2 lbs). Start with the palm facing down and rotate the hand so the palm is facing upwards. Keep your upper arm (bycep/tricep) and elbow as still as possible to isolate the forarm. Repeat through 10-12 rotations.

The last option is to see your doctor about steroid injections. These however are not needed in most cases. You would have to consult with your physician to see if this treatment is needed in your case, or if an MRI is required to further investigate the injury.

Good luck, and I hope for the best in your recovery.
J.K

Last edited by Jeron Kahyar; 04-24-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:23 PM

Default Tennis Elbow Treatment?

NSAIDs and isolation below the elbow with a tennis elbow brace.
Can be crazy painful.
Had it real bad. Both arms. I tried to tough it out. But when it got to the point that it was painful lifting a glass of water or the tv remote I knew I had to do something about it. I ended up doing physio, which took about 8 months of treatment.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:06 PM
Banned

I had golf elbow. Same injury just on the inside of the elbow. Time is the healer. 1.5 years before I could golf again
Old 08-09-2021, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey79 View Post
NSAIDs and isolation below the elbow with a tennis elbow brace.
Can be crazy painful.
Had it real bad. Both arms. I tried to tough it out. But when it got to the point that it was painful lifting a glass of water or the tv remote I knew I had to do something about it. I ended up doing physio, which took about 8 months of treatment.