Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Default Fire & Ice....

This just came up in conversation....is it legal to have a fire on the ice and cook some fish ?
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Default Fire and ice

I was told many years ago that as long as I cleaned up all the ashes it was fine. I am talking about 60 yrs ago. Check with F. W. Officer.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
This just came up in conversation....is it legal to have a fire on the ice and cook some fish ?
Yes. There is no law against it. Not sure about parks. Our town has a fire on a local lake put on by the md every year. My family and I have been doing the same for years with multiple visits from fw and never had a problem. Charred wood and ash isn't anything that will hurt a lake.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:08 AM

Clean up after yourself and I believe it is fine. Don't leave the ashes or firewood on the ice.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:43 AM

As long as the ash isn’t from plastic, the remains should be fine if buried. The added ash is generally beneficial to the ecosystem. I have a preference to burying it and leaving it
Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 AM

Its ok as long as you clean up after yourself. Just be advised some counties require you to have a grate with a certain mesh size covering fire pits. For example Edmonton requires a spacing of 1 cm or less. Its not likely anyone will complain while your on the ice unless your obviously doing something dangerous.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-14-2018, 06:52 PM

Just saw a video where in some states having fish carcasses beside you from a shore(ice) lunch was illegal, but that seems to be a rarity.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Clean up after yourself and I believe it is fine. Don't leave the ashes or firewood on the ice.
Why would you clean up ash and burnt wood? Its naturally occurring in the eco system. Leave it and let it sink. Won't hurt anything.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Why would you clean up ash and burnt wood? Its naturally occurring in the eco system. Leave it and let it sink. Won't hurt anything.
it will hurt my auger blades when i go to drill a hole and its been covered by snow.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
it will hurt my auger blades when i go to drill a hole and its been covered by snow.
Same can be said about the ice with sand that melts off your truck.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Bitumen is naturally occurring and leaks into many lakes/rivers. I guess by your method of thinking it is fine to put it in a lake?

Ash although it can potentially enter a lake naturally isn't good for the ecosystem. Ash and partially burnt wood can easily be considered waste and depositing waste products into water is illegal, that is why it is illegal to put egg shells in the water and they do less damage then ash.

Leaving wood pieces also leaves floating debris that boaters hit in the spring/summer.

All it takes to do things properly is to take a base for your fire and then dispose of your ash/wood once done.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:56 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Had many a fire on the ice, eat fish too...some fires were to keep warm, just don't be a pig and leave crap every where.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-14-2018, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
So will drilling in tire tracks. How about a little situational awareness. If you can't tell you're augering into a pile of chard wood and ash I fear for your safety on the ice
Old 03-14-2018, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Bitumen is naturally occurring and leaks into many lakes/rivers. I guess by your method of thinking it is fine to put it in a lake?

Ash although it can potentially enter a lake naturally isn't good for the ecosystem. Ash and partially burnt wood can easily be considered waste and depositing waste products into water is illegal, that is why it is illegal to put egg shells in the water and they do less damage then ash.

Leaving wood pieces also leaves floating debris that boaters hit in the spring/summer.

All it takes to do things properly is to take a base for your fire and then dispose of your ash/wood once done.
Yeah ok. Give it up. You're argument is that dumping crude oil and what is essentially ash and charcoal ( which is a natural filter) is the same thing. Funny how our lakes have survived multiple forest burn cycles. You might consider it waste and that's fine but I consider it part of the natural environment. Far as your floating debris argument goes. Hahaha for real? Open your eyes and guide your craft accordingly. If you're driving a boat that can be taken out by driftwood you deserve to sink
Old 03-15-2018, 09:04 AM

As much as RavYak and I disagree, this time he is right. Ash when mixed with water forms Lye (sodium hydroxide), which has a very basic ph of 13. While the ash pile from a single fire wont change the ph of a water body a few hundred ash piles could have an effect on smaller ponds. If you google ph ranges for fish you will find there is a very narrow window before they become affected.

Mods, why hasn't Tyler been banned? Almost every post he makes seems to be directed at someone in a negative way. AO would be far better off without him.

Activated charcoal is used as filters, regular charcoal can filter out particles and some toxin but also effects the ph level as it breaks down. Once it breaks down it just releases those toxins back into the surrounding area anyways.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-15-2018, 11:08 AM

Charcoal lasts for thousands of years
Old 03-15-2018, 12:07 PM

x3 on the leaving ashes behind. Bring a burn barrel with you, place a grate on top and have at it!!!

The thing that ****es me off the most is when people not only leave ashes on the ice, but they throw all their minnow tubs in the fire and timmies cups and all that melted plastic just sits there when they leave, embers still smoldering. Where do people think that crap goes?!?! Right into your precious resource!!

Some people just need to wake the F*** up.

Last edited by NSR Fisher; 03-15-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=ghostguy6;3751772]As much as RavYak and I disagree, this time he is right. Ash when mixed with water forms Lye (sodium hydroxide), which has a very basic ph of 13. While the ash pile from a single fire wont change the ph of a water body a few hundred ash piles could have an effect on smaller ponds. If you google ph ranges for fish you will find there is a very narrow window before they become affected.

Mods, why hasn't Tyler been banned? Almost every post he makes seems to be directed at someone in a negative way. AO would be far better off without him.

Activated charcoal is used as filters, regular charcoal can filter out particles and some toxin but also effects the ph level as it breaks down. Once it breaks down it just releases those toxins back into the surrounding area anyways.[/QUOTE

That's what I wondered.... It's always a mouthy statement, and you shouldn't post anything without a study to back you up. Just bring a burn barrel with you. It's just cleaner and people burn wood with nails in it, it could give someone a flat tire if it was covered by a skiff of snow.

Last edited by Hillbilly 12; 03-15-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
Where do people think that crap goes?!?! Right into your precious resource! Some people just need to wake the F*** up.
Couldn't agree more. Here's how I look at it...

If you were to allow a complete stranger into you're back yard what would you allow them to get away with. Leaving empty minnow tubs, beer cans, timmy ho's cups, cigarette butts, broken lawn chairs, ice shantys, or leftovers from a fire pit sure as hell wouldn't fly with me.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:02 PM

1st and most likely last post here, because the only person who gave a solution to the question is suggested to be banned. Wow. I deserved to sink when all I could afford to get on the water was an explorer 2000? that guys an idiot and can go fish in city limits. Anyway children, For the record, Make a base/pit and clearing away duff for your fire and cleaning it up are a requirement of an open fire, letting it burn to fine ashes(only possible on ice if a base is made) is a "requirement" in fire responsibility no matter where you burn as with disperse the cooled ash, bury, or throw in the garbage. it's fire people it's nothing new, your new to it if you don't know the responsibility required, learn from those that do before you do damage . Remember YOU Pack it in YOU Pack it out. I personally will call a CO before I look for info here again. OK I'm done, back to getting skunked, damn trout.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoecarrier View Post
1st and most likely last post here, because the only person who gave a solution to the question is suggested to be banned. Wow. I deserved to sink when all I could afford to get on the water was an explorer 2000? that guys an idiot and can go fish in city limits. Anyway children, For the record, Make a base/pit and clearing away duff for your fire and cleaning it up are a requirement of an open fire, letting it burn to fine ashes(only possible on ice if a base is made) is a "requirement" in fire responsibility no matter where you burn as with disperse the cooled ash, bury, or throw in the garbage. it's fire people it's nothing new, your new to it if you don't know the responsibility required, learn from those that do before you do damage . Remember YOU Pack it in YOU Pack it out. I personally will call a CO before I look for info here again. OK I'm done, back to getting skunked, damn trout.

Bonjour....tight lines....happy trails.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the education guys. Last weekend the family gathered on gull to try our luck, enjoy a fire and roast a few smokies as we have done many times in the past. Our garbage goes in a bag and comes home with us when we leave, the smoldering embers get left on the ice. My way of thinking was when break up came any debris would float to the shore line and be ground up when the spring storms hit. No harm done. After reading some of the posts I think next year I will be a bit more proactive and fabricate an elevated burn platform of expanded metal reinforced around the edges. This will allow the fine ash to fall to the ice surface and any coals left over can be extinguished then disposed off the ice. Maybe still not good enough for the purists but they are a hard bunch to satisfy at the best of times. D.H.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
So will drilling in tire tracks. How about a little situational awareness. If you can't tell you're augering into a pile of chard wood and ash I fear for your safety on the ice
Hahaha x2
Old 03-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
As much as RavYak and I disagree, this time he is right. Ash when mixed with water forms Lye (sodium hydroxide), which has a very basic ph of 13. While the ash pile from a single fire wont change the ph of a water body a few hundred ash piles could have an effect on smaller ponds. If you google ph ranges for fish you will find there is a very narrow window before they become affected.

Activated charcoal is used as filters, regular charcoal can filter out particles and some toxin but also effects the ph level as it breaks down. Once it breaks down it just releases those toxins back into the surrounding area anyways.
The amount of ash required to do what you're proposing would be astronomical. There is a reason forest fires don't kill off entire lakes. As far as releasing toxins back in by the time that happens they will be buried in sediment. As far as me being banned lol for what. For disagreeing with people?

Have fun.

Call the co next time you see me on the ice its always nice to see them out. Kids usually get stickers and we always offer them a hot dog.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
The amount of ash required to do what you're proposing would be astronomical. There is a reason forest fires don't kill off entire lakes. As far as releasing toxins back in by the time that happens they will be buried in sediment. As far as me being banned lol for what. For disagreeing with people?

Have fun.

Call the co next time you see me on the ice its always nice to see them out. Kids usually get stickers and we always offer them a hot dog.
Yup and had then stop by to warm up by our fire too....can't see things going to wonky unless like I said earlier you are a complete pig and leave crap everywhere then the CO with cut you a ticket or two while warming up by your fire

Old 03-17-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
bonjour....tight lines....happy trails.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup and had then stop by to warm up by our fire too....can't see things going to wonky unless like I said earlier you are a complete pig and leave crap everywhere then the CO with cut you a ticket or two while warming up by your fire
Exactly. How this went from a fire on the ice to leaving beer cans and plastic garbage everywhere I don't know. I usually pack out more than I bring in. We usually fish remoteish lakes and just bring a chainsaw and cut dead fall on the edge of the lake. You know to help out those guys cruising the lake on their boat with their eyes closed. Wouldn't want anyone to hit some driftwood and sink their boat.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:04 PM

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 03-18-2018 at 12:22 PM.