Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 10:38 PM

Default Led

Anyone switch there shop 4' fluorescent lights to LED?
Mine keep burning out!
Old 07-23-2019, 11:55 PM

Default Yup

Work great, different light for sure. Never burnt a tube in 2 years. Did you change out the ballast as well? I had to.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 AM

Maybe six years ago I put up two bar type from Costco. No issues thus far. I think I'd probably wall mount them in future vice over each vehicle slot to have better shadow control while working in there though. Great lights overall.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Work great, different light for sure. Never burnt a tube in 2 years. Did you change out the ballast as well? I had to.
I remember when I investigated LED lighting, I remember there was a glitch with just changing out floro tubes for LED, something with the existing ballasts. Maybe something the OP might investigate.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2019, 05:59 AM

As the ballasts die on our old ones we are switching them over to the new lights. Now it seems like within 2 years they die out and we need to put up new lights. An as for good lighting to read by,they suck.

In short...they suck....period.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:17 AM

I did the 4’ led bulb with ballast removal in my shop, love them. Instant on and like having daylight inside the shop. On amazon they are relatively inexpensive just gotta watch for ones that are Canada certified.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
I did the 4’ led bulb with ballast removal in my shop, love them. Instant on and like having daylight inside the shop. On amazon they are relatively inexpensive just gotta watch for ones that are Canada certified.

The LED tubes that require the ballast to be removed, are not usually CSA approved. ( because they say you are modifying an approved fixture). Most tubes run off existing ballast and work very good.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledn View Post
The LED tubes that require the ballast to be removed, are not usually CSA approved. ( because they say you are modifying an approved fixture). Most tubes run off existing ballast and work very good.
I was told when I looked into it if it has the UL certification is ok as long as it has Canada on the left bottom corner and not just US on the bottom right corner. I coulda been misinformed but regardless I have awesome bright lights in my shop.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:57 AM

What is the T rating of the existing fixture?

I have put in the LED tubes in the "small tube" fixtures without a problem. Pretty high up where I changed the tubes so i really DO NOT WANT to be going up there to change tubes.

So far, so good, but I think you have a problem with the existing ballasts.

If the life expectancy is as represented, these LED tubes will be a once in a lifetime fixture for most of us old guys.

Drewski
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Led

Thanks for all your replies,
I think this will work...from Amazon.

Hyperikon T8 LED Light Tube, 4ft, 18W (40W Equivalent), 6000K, Single Ended Power, Clear, UL-Listed & DLC-Qualified (Pack of 12)

Non-shunted Turn Type T8 Lamp Holder JACKYLED 20-Pack UL Socket Tombstone for LED Fluorescent Tube Replacements Medium Bi-pin Socket for Programmed Start Ballasts
Old 07-24-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkrub View Post

Hyperikon T8 LED Light Tube, 4ft, 18W (40W Equivalent), 6000K, Single Ended Power, Clear, UL-Listed & DLC-Qualified (Pack of 12)

Non-shunted Turn Type T8 Lamp Holder JACKYLED 20-Pack UL Socket Tombstone for LED Fluorescent Tube Replacements Medium Bi-pin Socket for Programmed Start Ballasts

They will work fine, but are not CSA approved for use in Canada. Mostly because if someone else puts a normal Canadian LED bulb in the modified fixture later , it’s not going to work.Home Depot or Costco LED tubes are cheaper also.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkrub View Post

That’s exactly what I got. And they work fantastic.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Just my .02. My understanding is the main reason we go to led lights is for cost saving and bulb life. So by removing ballast that’s were our cost savings comes from. Your on the right track with those bulbs. No more headaches
Old 07-25-2019, 07:37 AM

I use 8 Hyperikons from amazon in my kitchen. No ballast, seems like twice as bright as the old flourescents and use less power. Only had them 1 year but no failures so far.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:03 AM

I bought some 4’ led shop fixtures from Home Depot the winter before last and they’re great, my only regret is not buying more because they were blowing them out at $20/each. I have a few in my shipping container and elsewhere plus one I keep in my service van as a job site light. At that price it was hard to go wrong, my service van one has even survived some tweaks that would have easily broken typical fluorescent tubes, that they start readily when freezing cold is an improvement as well.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:

X2 on the Hyperikon from Amazon. Have 12 in my shop, 12’ ceiling. They are great so far. Half the price of equivalent lights at the big box stores in Edmonton.