Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
So would XM3213711 be my number and the name "Ressurection" be what I need. Had this years ago when running CB radio. If so do they ever expire?
Different for amateur radio. The first part of your call sign would be a "VE" then depending on which province you're living in you'd get a number. "7" is B.C. and "6" is Alberta, and I'm not too sure about the rest of the provinces and territories. Then the last part is 3 letters, which you can request, if they are not taken. So as an example you might be VE6 BLS. That never really expires unless you pass on IIRC.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-22-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I have been curious about these for some time.

Is there a course you actually take to become an operator or is it all online type stuff now a days?
I don't believe there is a course per se, but some study material. Or at least that's the way is was. Probably be some online information. Didn't cost much if anything to take the test.

I believe that it has to be witnessed by someone certified to give the tests.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-22-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Different for amateur radio. The first part of your call sign would be a "VE" then depending on which province you're living in you'd get a number. "7" is B.C. and "6" is Alberta, and I'm not too sure about the rest of the provinces and territories. Then the last part is 3 letters, which you can request, if they are not taken. So as an example you might be VE6 BLS. That never really expires unless you pass on IIRC.
Ok thanks for the info on that. I'm thinking of going to look at the Wouxun KG816 two-way radio's. They are not high end or low end but should work for me, I HOPE. Anyone ever use these?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:30 PM

Default Amateur Radio Operator Certification

Many of the local radio clubs will host sessions to get your operator certification.
Several other groups are now hosting also.
Our ATV Club brought in an instructor on two occasions and taught the basic course.
Several of the municipal emergency services are now hosting radio courses, so people can be utilised in emergency situations.
In BC the call sign used to be VE7, but all the letter combinations were used up, so now it is VA7. Like VA7POJ.
Each province as you go East you drop down one number,so Alberta would be VE6 or VA6, Saskatchewan would be VE5 or VA5 and so on.