Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Default Garage cost?

Just looking to get some ideas for garage cost and what size I can realistically afford (in Calgary but I'm sure most of AB is pretty close). Anyone who has built a garage in the last couple years feel free to post size and approximate cost, plus any other factors (labour included/excluded, heating, etc).

Thanks very much!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:53 PM

I would like to know too please!

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM

I built my garage myself. It's 32X36 with 9 foot ceilings and two 9X8 overhead doors and an 8X8 door, 2 man doors and 2 windows. Tin roof and vinyl siding and OSB inside walls. I paid just shy of 15 grand for the materials and another 12 grand for concrete work, without in floor heating. Plus another probably 10 grand for miscellaneous costs (edge capping, fasteners, eaves troughs, ect).

If you can do the concrete work yourself, you will save a bundle. I was just lazy. The little stuff adds up fast too.

All in I'm nearly 50 grand in the hole. I built it in 2011.

Last edited by FreeLantz; 01-06-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-06-2014, 03:18 PM

On paper I'm at $63,000. That's 1100 sq ft. In floor heating, 3 sides stucco and front in brick, 8' double door, insulation, drywall, paint.

I had to yank 8 large trees. I trenched it myself for power, cable, etc etc. and I stole the electrical and me and a buddy did that. I also put vacuum and air in all four corners.

The beer tab was probably in the 10k range but we try not to talk about that.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:37 PM

This past summer I got me a 24x24 garage build, The concrete was about $6000.00, the building was $5200.00 all the contractor did was put up the building (framing and Sheeting) and he did the shingels. for the rest I did the rest my self, siding, soffit, facia electrical, insulation and drywall.

I'm pretty pleased with it, but I did wish I had a drain in the floor, now with the cars dripping, all the water runs towards the walls, so I fear it will all rot away soon.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM

I'm building one as we speak. I'm a contractor and did everything myself. Its 30x36 with 10' walls, 2 10x9 overhead doors, infloor heat, metal roofing and siding...blah,blah,blah I'm into it for 35k so far and still have to pay someone to hook up the infloor heat and gas line.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 PM

Had one done summer 2012, 20x24, pretty basic.. $21k start to finish. The company we went with really kicked butt. Once the pad was set, the entire thing was done within 3 days, was very pleased.

Didn't have time to do any of it myself which is why we went start to finish with a builder, I eventually may drywall it, etc.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
This past summer I got me a 24x24 garage build, The concrete was about $6000.00, the building was $5200.00 all the contractor did was put up the building (framing and Sheeting) and he did the shingels. for the rest I did the rest my self, siding, soffit, facia electrical, insulation and drywall.

I'm pretty pleased with it, but I did wish I had a drain in the floor, now with the cars dripping, all the water runs towards the walls, so I fear it will all rot away soon.
Get yourself a concrete sawblade or two and cut some relief cuts around your perimeter to give the water a place to go other than the bottom of the walls. It's very dusty work, so open the doors and have someone spray a bit of water while you are cutting. Blades are about $30 each and will take you maybe an hour or two.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:04 PM

I build mine a few years ago I did all the work myself with the exception of the concrete. It's 24x26 with 10' walls, 16x9 overhead, a man door an 2 windows. Fully finished inside with heat and A/C. I'm into it about 35k.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 PM

i would suggest against cutting around the perimeter of your slab, you could do serious structural damage to your pad as well as damage the actual structure of your garage. you dont know exactly where the rebar is in your slab and you dont know how the ground has settled or if it has washed out at all. another option might be siliconing rubber baseboards to your walls and slab, that would give you a 4" tall seal around your walls.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM

Mine is 25x35.
Engineered pad (7000$)
10' ceilings
2x6 construction
Finished with 1/2" OSB
R27 in the walls
R40 in the ceiling
Three 30x36 windows
Three door garage (two in front, one in the back)
50 000BTU Infrared Heater

Other than the shingles and cement pad, I built it all myself in 2 weeks and had the permits signed off without a hitch.

$33 000.00 in 2006.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
i would suggest against cutting around the perimeter of your slab, you could do serious structural damage to your pad as well as damage the actual structure of your garage. you dont know exactly where the rebar is in your slab and you dont know how the ground has settled or if it has washed out at all. another option might be siliconing rubber baseboards to your walls and slab, that would give you a 4" tall seal around your walls.
sorry for the derail but I meant just cut into concrete 1/2" or so, not all the way through!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 AM

Built mine in 2012. It is 28 X 28 with an engineered pad. I never pounded a nail, all done by the contractor, no insulation or sheeting inside but wired and powered up. Just a hair under $40 K.

-Craig
Old 01-07-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post

Check out garage mats. Its basically a tarp with a foam edge that keeps the water and dirt from getting all over your floor. I have been using one for years and they work great.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Great thread and very timely. One question - What is an engineered floor?

I have a quote for Edmonton on a 22x24 out of 2x6, 16" on centre, built on an existing asphalt pad, 12' walls, one 18 x 10 door with side pull opener, one man door, 2 36x30 winows. Heated, fully wired with plugs every 6 feet and three rows of flourescent lights on the ceiling. Insulated and sheeted with 1/2" plywood inside, vinyl exterior. Quote is right at 40,000. I do none of the work. Seems to be right in line with the info in here so great validation thread.

I did have to talk to a lot of contractors to find one that was near reasonable. I had some quotes with a concrete pad that were as high as 90,000. You can tell the contractors are way to busy when they can make those kinds of quotes.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
When I got my permit, it stated that a garage over a certain number of square feet had to have an engineered floor. I believe where I live I could have built a 24 X 26 garage (max) with a floating slab, since I wanted to go bigger and since the ground wasn't level where I built the garage, I had to go with an engineered floor.

The outside walls of my garage are 5 foot high concrete, but 4 feet is underground. They used fill and sand to level off the inside before pouring the slab. Not sure if I used all the correct terms cause I'm not a concrete guy, but that's what we went through. (and we're in the country) If I did it again, I'd call it a machinery shed which doesn't require a permit.

-Craig
Old 01-07-2014, 04:40 PM

The engineered floor will likely have the slab on piles or some type of footing, however if you were to go 22x22 I think in edmonton you can do a floating slab with a thickening around the perimeter
Old 01-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Great thread and very timely. One question - What is an engineered floor?.

An engineered floor is a floor approved by an engineer, to put it plainly. There no set dimension for it and you can argue with the engineers a bit. I didnt like how much concrete and rebar he was asking me to put in my slab so I asked for a more reasonable drawing. He did it, for a re draft cost of course. Just google residential engineers in your area and call and ask or call your county. They often have names used before you can call.

There is a max allowable footage before you need an engineeres floor. I think its 620 sq feet.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 PM

Default Garages

I am a contractor here in Edmonton.
I just built a 24 x 26 garage with a 6/12 pitch roof that allows for a good attic.
Concrete pad with slab thickening and with a 8' driveway, materials, vinyl siding, soffits, eaves, downspouts, 1 fixed window, 34" entry door. 8 x 16 overhead door with opener, attic hatch. Also had basic wiring (no 220)
This came to about $50,000.00.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I have a quote for Edmonton on a 22x24 out of 2x6, 16" on centre, built on an existing asphalt pad, 12' walls, one 18 x 10 door with side pull opener, one man door, 2 36x30 winows. Heated, fully wired with plugs every 6 feet and three rows of flourescent lights on the ceiling. Insulated and sheeted with 1/2" plywood inside, vinyl exterior. Quote is right at 40,000. I do none of the work. Seems to be right in line with the info in here so great validation thread.

I did have to talk to a lot of contractors to find one that was near reasonable. I had some quotes with a concrete pad that were as high as 90,000. You can tell the contractors are way to busy when they can make those kinds of quotes.
You can never have too many plugs in the garage and make sure they are at least 4'2 from the floor. That way you can lean plywood against the wall without blocking them. Also makes them open when you build a work bench.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 PM

I'm in the process of completing my garage, 30x40, 10' walls, all 2x6 construction. Tin roof, fully insulated, wired, lots of lights and plugs, 16x8 door, man door, 9x10 other garage door, all doors custom painted to match tin roof, tin around door jambs, concrete floor with floor drain only sloped from the one half of the garage into the floor drain. Interior completely OSB, 4 windows, fully heated, and western red cedar board and batten exterior. The concrete pad ended up costing $13500 only because I used $4000 worth of gravel delivered for elevation and excavation purposes. I have a skid steer, therefore, all work was done by me. I also built the entire thing myself, building the walls on the floor and lifting up with the skid steer. Many hours that I put on over this wet summer I have not factored in. Total cost for everything so far is just under $35k including the concrete pad. Only thing left to add is eavestroughs, 2 runs of 40' and I'll be done. Little longer than I wanted to take to finish but I'm really proud of the finished product.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:33 PM

Built a 32x56x16 2 years ago 14x14 door and 2 10x14s...half inch osb on interior walls and tin on exterior...concrete pad with piles every 8 feet...infared heat...costs in around the 45 mark...did a bunch of work ourselves
Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 PM

Default totem pkg

When there still was a Totem building supplies.
24x22 pkg, single door. Now the package had windows that didn't open, plus we went for a 9' ceiling, extra electrical and we poured a pad and a new driveway. The concrete was rediculous 18K I think. This was unfinished inside with a heater total bill was 44K. FS
Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM

I am a framer pm me if you need one. i have also a friend in concrete. we build lots together.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM

Wow. Can't believe how much you guys have to pay for constructing a garage, particularily the concrete. I just built a 22x28 garage at the cabin 1 @ 1/2 years ago. Concrete was 23-2500.00 ( concrete material alone ) and I hired a local contractor to prep the site with his bobcat, set up his forms, supply rebar and install and tie rebar, place and trowel concrete ( I helped wheel-barrow ) for 1500.00. I built the garage myself, installed two 9x7 insulated metal over-head doors, one man door, one non-opening window, vinyl siding, metal soffit and fascia and regular asphalt shingles. Son is an electrician so we have lots of plug-ins- 110 and 220. Insulated and sheeted inside with 3/8 OSB. I would have liked to go wider but too many big spruce trees and didn't want to cut them. All in it was about 10,000.00 with concrete AND the contractors work. Now we only have 6" x 8 ft walls and 4/12 slope roof ( would be nicer with higher slope for storage ) but would have a hard time with it if it would have been 30,000. Some-ones making good cash I would think. Not that difficult to put up the material package. maybe our prices in Sask are just that much lower for the package, I don't know.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 PM

25g for concrete but had to excavate into a hill with a retaining wall and steps 24x24 . another 5 g for totem package , we built it , I love it , lots of room for improvement . Only windows are skylights
Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
25g for concrete but had to excavate into a hill with a retaining wall and steps 24x24 . another 5 g for totem package , we built it , I love it , lots of room for improvement . Only windows are skylights
Can I ask (total newbie) what it takes to put together one of those packages? What kind of tools, man power, knowledge etc.? I am good with Ikea furniture but a garage???

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
25 grand? Does that include excavation and waste removal? How deep were the retaining walls?

Cheers.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 AM

Posted this before,built a 28x38 fall 2012, $1.13sq/ft for concrete guy to place/finish concrete 51/2-6" thick w/ 18"x18" thickening edges ,$4,200 for just the concrete.
All ground work/forming,rebar done myself..

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 07-18-2019, 10:43 PM

I am currently at getting quotes from contractors to build a garage. I see that this an older thread. Has anyone built a oversized double garage recently? Ideally I'm looking for costs and recommendations of companies to do it all.

Thanks y'all!