Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 PM

I walked into Canadian Tire last Saturday to get a new can, mine was 5 years old. The guy got it from the lockup, walked to the front counter with me, I paid, then Elvis left the building.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM

I just asked 1 of my friends who used to work at MEC about the bags, he told me its because some " A hole" decided to discharge a canister inside the store.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-18-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
The wife and I were coming back from Yellowstone this past summer and at the Canadian border the guard asked the standard questions then asked if I had any bear spray with me. I replied that yes, I did.

He took it and told me it was illegal in Canada and asked where I bought it.
I told him I bought it at campers village in Edmonton.

He didn't believe me.

I had to sign a paper saying that it was ok for them to take it from me.

I wasn't gonna argue. I hate crossing the border as it is.
The guy you dealt was probably a rookie who should be asking his senior officer questions before telling the travelling public false information. I just shake my head and blame the idiots in Ottawa and their training program.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 PM

I just walked up to the gun counter at cabelas yesterday and said I needed a can of bear spray and voila, "here you go sir, have a nice day". Really enjoy that store.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 PM

Bought the missus a can of Saber? Pink pepper spray for the feral dogs that roam our streets after dark (honest, really!!) from WSS in GP... Might as well of been a pair of socks by the look of the lady behind the till.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 PM

I had to fill out a form to get fireworks at China tire the other day. Welcome to the police state Canada is slowly becoming..... Besides what do you have to hide if you aren't doing anything wrong? Here pee in a cup while you are at it.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:20 PM

I would walk out of the store before I would fill out forms to purchase bear spray.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
I better go and register my Bug-Be-Gone Wasp Spray and EasyOff oven cleaner. Not to mention cheap hair spray.
They do as good a job as any bear spray - in certain "situations".
Don't forget ether.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 PM

Arrow Purhcasing Bear Spray

Found this on the net with regards to purchasing Bear Spray...

Seems everyone who sells it, not just MEC, is required to collect information

Purchasing Bear Spray

Under the Pest Controls Products Act, bear spray may only be sold in Canada by authorized vendors who maintain proper sales records. Information gathered during sale must include a purchaser's name and address, the amount purchased, and a signed Notice to Purchaser Agreement.

The Agreement outlines the legal uses of bear spray and contains a liability warning. Purchasers will in effect sign a waiver assuming all risk during bear encounters. It is illegal to sell bear spray to anyone under the age of 18 or to anyone unwilling to sign the Notice to Purchaser Agreement.

Read more: Canadian Bear Spray Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6942366_can...#ixzz2QsxFKMRl

Mr Conservation
Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
The wife and I were coming back from Yellowstone this past summer and at the Canadian border the guard asked the standard questions then asked if I had any bear spray with me. I replied that yes, I did.

He took it and told me it was illegal in Canada and asked where I bought it.
I told him I bought it at campers village in Edmonton.

He didn't believe me.

I had to sign a paper saying that it was ok for them to take it from me.

I wasn't gonna argue. I hate crossing the border as it is.
Don't you just love the fine folks "protecting" our borders? I've had mixed experiences coming across...I find if you're clean and smelling like a civilized human they like to haul you in for the full inspection. Now, when you come across wearing the same clothes you've worn for a string of rodeos during a hot snap in the southern states they catch one whiff through the window and send you rolling through!

You get the priority wave-through when you've got a couple horses on board too... The most thorough "inspection" I've had hauling horses is a quick look to see I've got the vet checks and a quick peek to see that yes, there are indeed horses that have been digesting hay in the back all day!

Last edited by albertacrude; 04-19-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: adding more!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't do MEC.
Never been in their store and dont plan to go anytime soon. Not going to support their anti hunting bs.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Hey 6tmile:

What else can a guy get at one of the stores?

I am thinking a high quality pair of rubber boots, and a rain suit to match.
Not Crappy Tire stuff.

Do they sell high quality come alongs and snatch blocks?

Anyone else reading this please post.
Pretty much anything you want, tell them its for you personally and they will usually cut you a bit of a deal.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_hopper View Post
I'm quizzing the guy with additional questions clearly ridiculing the whole process as I asked him if he has to register the paperwork I just filled out with anyone..
I don't think there was any need to be a dick to the kid. He's following the rules. He just has no idea why they are in place. And neither do you.

I've had to fill out a sheet everywhere I've bought bearspray... MEC, Canadian Tire, Wholesale Sports.

I don't think the info recording has anything to do with crime, police, weapons, etc. Bearspray is categorized as a pest control product. The Federal Pest Control Products Act requires detailed recording and record keeping of product sales, from producer to distributor to user.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post

Purchasing Bear Spray

Under the Pest Controls Products Act, bear spray may only be sold in Canada by authorized vendors who maintain proper sales records. Information gathered during sale must include a purchaser's name and address, the amount purchased, and a signed Notice to Purchaser Agreement.

The Agreement outlines the legal uses of bear spray and contains a liability warning. Purchasers will in effect sign a waiver assuming all risk during bear encounters. It is illegal to sell bear spray to anyone under the age of 18 or to anyone unwilling to sign the Notice to Purchaser Agreement.

Read more: Canadian Bear Spray Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6942366_can...#ixzz2QsxFKMRl

Mr Conservation
Hey now........don't let the facts/truth/law/ get in the way. These emotional outbursts against MEC are hilarious

Oh the irony.........
Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Has this happened to anyone else at MEC?

Yesterday, I went into MEC at lunch to pick up some bear spray. This is when the fun started... the little guy behind the counter asked me what I needed it for and handed me a clip board. I said for protection against animals, lol, what else would it be for?!? I looked at the sheet on the clip board and asked what this was for when he asked me to fill out all my information. I asked why and he said it was the law and that they can't sell it to me otherwise. I said, pardon, I have bought bear spray a few times at various locations and have never had to fill anything out before. He then wrote down the serial number on the bottom of the can and said that if the bear spray was used in a crime, it can come back to me. This peaked my interest and had to ask, "are you telling me that the contents of this can are associated with that serial number on the can?", he replied with, "yes". I lost it laughing. For one, no!! For two, the s/n is on a sticker, which of course, is clearly too impossible to remove...LOL I finish with the guy who puts the bear spray in a special bag and he locks it shut for me to carry to the cashier. I'm quizzing the guy with additional questions clearly ridiculing the whole process as I asked him if he has to register the paperwork I just filled out with anyone. He tells me no and that the paper is filed in a box in the back of the store where I get another chuckle. I proceed to the cashier, she asks for my membership number which I give her and she asks me for my ID. Again, I say, "pardon?". She had to identify that it was me using the membership to buy the bear spray otherwise she couldn't sell it to me. I laughed and said, okay, clearly entertained by the process.

Has anyone else had this experience? Have I just lucked out at every other location where I have bought bear spray and didn't have to give a pile of info?

I enjoyed the process, I was quite entertained. However, not going there again for that.
This is what I found when I do a serch

"
Purchasing Bear Spray

"
Old 04-19-2013, 02:57 PM

Don't see anything in there about recording the serial number. Still trying to wraps head around that one.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Has this happened to anyone else at MEC?

Yesterday, I went into MEC at lunch to pick up some bear spray. This is when the fun started... the little guy behind the counter asked me what I needed it for and handed me a clip board. I said for protection against animals, lol, what else would it be for?!? I looked at the sheet on the clip board and asked what this was for when he asked me to fill out all my information. I asked why and he said it was the law and that they can't sell it to me otherwise. I said, pardon, I have bought bear spray a few times at various locations and have never had to fill anything out before. He then wrote down the serial number on the bottom of the can and said that if the bear spray was used in a crime, it can come back to me. This peaked my interest and had to ask, "are you telling me that the contents of this can are associated with that serial number on the can?", he replied with, "yes". I lost it laughing. For one, no!! For two, the s/n is on a sticker, which of course, is clearly too impossible to remove...LOL I finish with the guy who puts the bear spray in a special bag and he locks it shut for me to carry to the cashier. I'm quizzing the guy with additional questions clearly ridiculing the whole process as I asked him if he has to register the paperwork I just filled out with anyone. He tells me no and that the paper is filed in a box in the back of the store where I get another chuckle. I proceed to the cashier, she asks for my membership number which I give her and she asks me for my ID. Again, I say, "pardon?". She had to identify that it was me using the membership to buy the bear spray otherwise she couldn't sell it to me. I laughed and said, okay, clearly entertained by the process.

Has anyone else had this experience? Have I just lucked out at every other location where I have bought bear spray and didn't have to give a pile of info?

I enjoyed the process, I was quite entertained. However, not going there again for that.

Did you keep a copy of the agreement?

Why would you sign a waiver assuming ALL RISK when confronted by a bear?

I'm dumbfounded by what people will sign these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post

Purchasing Bear Spray

Mr Conservation

Ehow is full of shyt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Hey now........don't let the facts/truth/law/ get in the way. These emotional outbursts against MEC are hilarious

Oh the irony.........

How about if you post up the facts and laws?

MEC getting people to waive their rights in cases of bear attacks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardFishingMan View Post
This is what I found when I do a serch

"
Purchasing Bear Spray

"

And again.....
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

Ho hum.........

You can read right?

Privacy Statement: MEC is legally required to collect the above information in order to comply with the Pest Control Products Act of Canada. The information collected will only be used for the purpose of complying with
this law.

http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/pd...9830775760.pdf

http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.ac...ontentId=24355

Bear spray is legal in Canada for use only against attacking bears and is regulated by Health Canada and the Pest Control Products Act. It is a pressurized propellant, designed as a last-resort defense against attacking bears. SPRAYING PEOPLE WITH BEAR SPRAY IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED!!!

The Criminal Code of Canada makes it illegal to sell, advertise or carry any product designed for personal protection against a human attack.

The Pest Controls Products Act only permits the sale of bear spray in Canada by authorized vendors who maintain proper sales records. These vendors must gather certain information including the purchaser’s name and address, the amount purchased and a signed Notice to Purchaser Agreement. This Agreement outlines the legal uses of bear spray and contains a liability warning. It is also important to note that it is illegal to sell bear spray to anyone under the age of 18 or to anyone not willing to sign the Agreement.

So, parents who notice their children under the age of 18 have acquired bear spray are encouraged to confiscate the product and discuss the legal ramifications of having the illegal substance on their person if stopped by police. Provincially, we are governed by the Integrated Pest Management Act. For a first offence, an individual convicted of an offence under this act is liable to a fine of not more than $200,000 or imprisonment for 6 months, or both.

Businesses are asked to review the conditions of sale and ensure they are adhering to the legislation relative to the age of the purchaser and the administrative requirements. A corporation convicted of an offence under the provincial legislation is liable to a fine of not more than $400,000 for a first offence.

Bears are rarely seen in the urban areas of Langley so it is unlikely that anyone should need to carry bear spray on their person or in their vehicle. Residents who do possess bear spray for their forays into the wilderness, should keep it secured in a safe place at home until needed.

Released by

Cpl. Holly Marks
Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Ho hum.........

You can read right?

Privacy Statement: MEC is legally required to collect the above information in order to comply with the Pest Control Products Act of Canada. The information collected will only be used for the purpose of complying with
this law.

http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/pd...9830775760.pdf

http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.ac...ontentId=24355

Bear spray is legal in Canada for use only against attacking bears and is regulated by Health Canada and the Pest Control Products Act. It is a pressurized propellant, designed as a last-resort defense against attacking bears. SPRAYING PEOPLE WITH BEAR SPRAY IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED!!!

The Criminal Code of Canada makes it illegal to sell, advertise or carry any product designed for personal protection against a human attack.

The Pest Controls Products Act only permits the sale of bear spray in Canada by authorized vendors who maintain proper sales records. These vendors must gather certain information including the purchaser’s name and address, the amount purchased and a signed Notice to Purchaser Agreement. This Agreement outlines the legal uses of bear spray and contains a liability warning. It is also important to note that it is illegal to sell bear spray to anyone under the age of 18 or to anyone not willing to sign the Agreement.

So, parents who notice their children under the age of 18 have acquired bear spray are encouraged to confiscate the product and discuss the legal ramifications of having the illegal substance on their person if stopped by police. Provincially, we are governed by the Integrated Pest Management Act. For a first offence, an individual convicted of an offence under this act is liable to a fine of not more than $200,000 or imprisonment for 6 months, or both.

Businesses are asked to review the conditions of sale and ensure they are adhering to the legislation relative to the age of the purchaser and the administrative requirements. A corporation convicted of an offence under the provincial legislation is liable to a fine of not more than $400,000 for a first offence.

Bears are rarely seen in the urban areas of Langley so it is unlikely that anyone should need to carry bear spray on their person or in their vehicle. Residents who do possess bear spray for their forays into the wilderness, should keep it secured in a safe place at home until needed.

Released by

Cpl. Holly Marks

Well done on finding the image on MEC's website. Their phone rep couldn't find it, so she emailed me a copy before I posted here.

Care to show the paperwork from another retailer?

To completely discredit my post, I suggest you find the "Notice to Purchaser Agreement" from Health Canada.

I never discounted the requirement to give personal ID, but perhaps you understood that since you read my post. Maybe some day you'll even understand Why I made the post....
Old 07-23-2019, 04:23 PM

Bringing up an old thread on the same topic.

Was at Cabelas Calgary this afternoon and went to pick up a fresh can of bear spray.

Got asked for ID which I found bizarre. Reluctantly showed them thinking it was to confirm age?

Got handed the slip of paper to fill out. I've had to do this every time I've bought bear spray but have never been asked for ID. I fill out the sheet with the same phoney baloney Jim Lahey at 123 Main Street as I always do. Buddy asks for my ID one more time after reading the filled out sheet. I laughed and told him I'll buy one elsewhere

I did a little digging and as Mr Conservation had mentioned on the first page, it is a legal requirement in Canada when buying bear spray to 1) prove you are over 18 years of age, and 2) fill out the form.

I don't see anything saying that they have to confirm your details on the form, only to confirm the buyer is over 18.

Also doesn't say on any of those forms that you hereby confirm all information to be accurate either, so filling out a fake name doesn't appear to be able to be legally enforced; or get you in trouble.

Going to stock up on hammers and rope before I'm required to give a retinal scan..
Old 07-23-2019, 05:22 PM

I have never in my life had to fill out anything or show ID (first I have ever heard of this). I would never! Not only would I never fill out a form but I would watch who ever asked me to fill out a form put the rest of my stuff back on the shelves. I think I will just keep buying it at the local corner store and keep my ID in my pocket.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:33 PM

Just picked up a new can at the local sports shop last month and no questions asked - no forms to fill out. Plus it was $7 less than Canadian Tire.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:18 PM

I just order it on Amazon.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:20 PM

I found wasp killer spray to be more effective and much cheaper.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:22 AM

Zombie thread!
Old 07-24-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't do MEC.
Ditto
Old 07-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Banned

The last time I bought bear spray I just showed ID and left.

Side note, my cans are expired, are they actually expired? Should I replace them or is it like ketchup and can work well past it's due date? lmao
Old 07-24-2019, 12:44 PM

People may not recall, but this Registry was initiated right after a couple of G Bear incidents in our National Parks.

There were threats of lawsuits against the feds for negligence.

The Registry was a backdoor way to have people sign a liability waiver.

Feds were implementing new rules where You MUST have bear spray to be in federal G Bear country, and you MUST sign the waiver to buy bear spray....

The legality of their intent was questionable at best. The current lack of bear attacks in Banff has the authority looking elsewhere. Thus the waiver system is dying.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-24-2019, 12:52 PM

I have never, or ever will spend a dime in any MEC store. They are totally anti-hunting
Old 07-24-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
People may not recall, but this Registry was initiated right after a couple of G Bear incidents in our National Parks.

There were threats of lawsuits against the feds for negligence.

The Registry was a backdoor way to have people sign a liability waiver.

Feds were implementing new rules where You MUST have bear spray to be in federal G Bear country, and you MUST sign the waiver to buy bear spray....

The legality of their intent was questionable at best. The current lack of bear attacks in Banff has the authority looking elsewhere. Thus the waiver system is dying.
Thank you for posting this.

IIRC there was a serious bear incident @ a campground in Lake Louise just prior to this thread OP.

Good Luck, YMMV.