Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM

Default MEC/Bear Spray bigger than the gun registry...

Has this happened to anyone else at MEC?

Yesterday, I went into MEC at lunch to pick up some bear spray. This is when the fun started... the little guy behind the counter asked me what I needed it for and handed me a clip board. I said for protection against animals, lol, what else would it be for?!? I looked at the sheet on the clip board and asked what this was for when he asked me to fill out all my information. I asked why and he said it was the law and that they can't sell it to me otherwise. I said, pardon, I have bought bear spray a few times at various locations and have never had to fill anything out before. He then wrote down the serial number on the bottom of the can and said that if the bear spray was used in a crime, it can come back to me. This peaked my interest and had to ask, "are you telling me that the contents of this can are associated with that serial number on the can?", he replied with, "yes". I lost it laughing. For one, no!! For two, the s/n is on a sticker, which of course, is clearly too impossible to remove...LOL I finish with the guy who puts the bear spray in a special bag and he locks it shut for me to carry to the cashier. I'm quizzing the guy with additional questions clearly ridiculing the whole process as I asked him if he has to register the paperwork I just filled out with anyone. He tells me no and that the paper is filed in a box in the back of the store where I get another chuckle. I proceed to the cashier, she asks for my membership number which I give her and she asks me for my ID. Again, I say, "pardon?". She had to identify that it was me using the membership to buy the bear spray otherwise she couldn't sell it to me. I laughed and said, okay, clearly entertained by the process.

Has anyone else had this experience? Have I just lucked out at every other location where I have bought bear spray and didn't have to give a pile of info?

I enjoyed the process, I was quite entertained. However, not going there again for that.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_hopper View Post
Has this happened to anyone else at MEC?

Yesterday, I went into MEC at lunch to pick up some bear spray. This is when the fun started... the little guy behind the counter asked me what I needed it for and handed me a clip board. I said for protection against animals, lol, what else would it be for?!? I looked at the sheet on the clip board and asked what this was for when he asked me to fill out all my information. I asked why and he said it was the law and that they can't sell it to me otherwise. I said, pardon, I have bought bear spray a few times at various locations and have never had to fill anything out before. He then wrote down the serial number on the bottom of the can and said that if the bear spray was used in a crime, it can come back to me. This peaked my interest and had to ask, "are you telling me that the contents of this can are associated with that serial number on the can?", he replied with, "yes". I lost it laughing. For one, no!! For two, the s/n is on a sticker, which of course, is clearly too impossible to remove...LOL I finish with the guy who puts the bear spray in a special bag and he locks it shut for me to carry to the cashier. I'm quizzing the guy with additional questions clearly ridiculing the whole process as I asked him if he has to register the paperwork I just filled out with anyone. He tells me no and that the paper is filed in a box in the back of the store where I get another chuckle. I proceed to the cashier, she asks for my membership number which I give her and she asks me for my ID. Again, I say, "pardon?". She had to identify that it was me using the membership to buy the bear spray otherwise she couldn't sell it to me. I laughed and said, okay, clearly entertained by the process.

Has anyone else had this experience? Have I just lucked out at every other location where I have bought bear spray and didn't have to give a pile of info?

I enjoyed the process, I was quite entertained. However, not going there again for that.

Amazing!!! And we have thread running for several pages about getting fingerpainted for a security clearance.

OMG!!! I may be a person of interest.

Next they will be frisking Dora and her backpack.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM

That is so sad and so funny at the same time! Not sure what I want to do more, laugh my arse off or go bang my head against the wall. Maybe I'll go do both.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Banned

Should have told them to shove their store policy where the sun don't shine, there's no regulations that i've ever found that regulate and require ID for buying bear spray. Isn't it required in some parks now?

Manitoba has it controlled under the pesticide act, requirements are in place before you can buy it...

https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/cr.../faa24s02a.pdf
Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 PM

Yes, I had the exact same thing happen. They gave me a blank look when I said it was ridiculous and that I didn't need to do that to buy ammo. I also looked up the pest control act referred to as justification for them collecting personal info....as expected, there is nothing in the act requiring such invasion of privacy.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM

And the slope just gets slipperier.......

"Enjoy the decline." -Rugatikia
Old 04-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Banned

Default bear spray

I had to fill out the same info when buying it from Canadian Tire, not sure the purpose it serves, pretty sure most can figure out how to take a sticker off if that is what is linking them to the "deadly weapon" At least they didn't put it in a security bag at Cantire and insult peoples intelligence even further.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 PM

wholesale sports made me do it to, and i said i hope you do send the cops to my house, my lawyer would have a field day, likely both could retire from that case. That said by it a the fishing hole no questions asked.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
That is so sad and so funny at the same time! Not sure what I want to do more, laugh my arse off or go bang my head against the wall. Maybe I'll go do both.
I better go and register my Bug-Be-Gone Wasp Spray and EasyOff oven cleaner. Not to mention cheap hair spray.
They do as good a job as any bear spray - in certain "situations".
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Banned

I don't do MEC.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Banned

Default spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdave View Post
i don't do mec.
x100
Old 04-18-2013, 05:49 PM

Yet you can go fill up your basket in their knife department, feast yourself from their ice axe selection or get enough rope to tie up every cheerleader in the NFL without so much as an Inspector Gadget fan club membership card!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM

MEC been doing that for @ least 3 year , i remember have to go thru all the hassle and need my id and drivers license when i want to buy one for camping.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 PM

The wife and I were coming back from Yellowstone this past summer and at the Canadian border the guard asked the standard questions then asked if I had any bear spray with me. I replied that yes, I did.

He took it and told me it was illegal in Canada and asked where I bought it.
I told him I bought it at campers village in Edmonton.

He didn't believe me.

I had to sign a paper saying that it was ok for them to take it from me.

I wasn't gonna argue. I hate crossing the border as it is.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 PM

I just bought a hatchet and nobody even glanced at me while I walked around with it.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 PM

Default Bear spray

JUST ANOTHER IDIOTIC LOOPHOLE ,,WOULD MAKE A GREAT STORY FOR MONTY PYTHON ..OR THE GONG SHOW
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 PM

The better question is - how would anyone know that they were asking for this info in MEC? Why spend your money in a store that will use your money to fund anti-hunting, preservationist organizations when there are viable alternatives - you can get bear spray from any number of outfits that actively support hunting as a legitimate outdoor activity. Heck, show your AFGA card and Campers Village will even give you 10% off - how is that for a direct support of the hunting community.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
The better question is - how would anyone know that they were asking for this info in MEC? Why spend your money in a store that will use your money to fund anti-hunting, preservationist organizations when there are viable alternatives - you can get bear spray from any number of outfits that actively support hunting as a legitimate outdoor activity. Heck, show your AFGA card and Campers Village will even give you 10% off - how is that for a direct support of the hunting community.
The back packs and pants are great. Plus you get to give hipsters the wink.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 PM

I was in there today do some work on thier leaking HVAC unit. Man did I ever contrast nicely with my camo Bow Tech hat and camo jacket. After I finished my work in there I had a craving for a granola bar, I actually had one in my lunch bag. Yum!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

And what were those ice axes actually invented for.

If you have ancestors from central Europe, old great great great great grandpapee had an ice axe and he did not chop much ice with it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
So true they should not be supported as they funding anti hunting organizations. I spend my $$$ else where for sure.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Just go to any oilfield supply store. I had the guys pick up a case of it. Called ahead and told them i needed 12 cans. They picked it up with no questions asked.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM

I had the same deal at Wholesale about a year and a half ago, checked my I.d., took down my info etc....I don't really have an issue with it since it probably deters a few dirt bags from a product they'd use for a crime tool.
Seems this is going to get turned into another MEC rant whether this happens at a hunting store or an outdoor gear store.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
Just go to any oilfield supply store. I had the guys pick up a case of it. Called ahead and told them i needed 12 cans. They picked it up with no questions asked.
Hey 6tmile:

What else can a guy get at one of the stores?

I am thinking a high quality pair of rubber boots, and a rain suit to match.
Not Crappy Tire stuff.

Do they sell high quality come alongs and snatch blocks?

Anyone else reading this please post.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 PM

I had the same at wholesale sports in Calgary. Then the clerk walked me to the cashier and threw the can on the counter. Lucky it never went off, but he did put a big dent in the can. I should have asked for another can as this can was now suspect to leaking from the dent but I did not want to go through the paper work again.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Hey 6tmile:

What else can a guy get at one of the stores?

I am thinking a high quality pair of rubber boots, and a rain suit to match.
Not Crappy Tire stuff.

Do they sell high quality come alongs and snatch blocks?

Anyone else reading this please post.
They have lots of good stuff - but it is an "oilfield" supply store so pay accordingly.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Could be wrong, but I think there is a Calgary bylaw that mandates the info gathering wrt bear spray.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

They have your name at the cashier. why submit your name to some greenwashed pepper salesman.

Mind you MEC has a lot of problems of people using other peoples names in a purchase.

Tripping over dollars to save a nickel.

I smell business problems in MEC. Let us AO folks watch and see what happens.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
They have lots of good stuff - but it is an "oilfield" supply store so pay accordingly.
Get the boss to pay for it.

Write it off.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't do MEC.
Nor do I. And anyone that hunts should not pass their threshhold.