Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 06:06 PM

By just reading a few posts it’s very easy to pick out the people I would not want on my land.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
By just reading a few posts it’s very easy to pick out the people I would not want on my land.
It certainly is.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:25 PM

Maybe it's not an issue to you, because the trailer park you live in already has cameras.
But other people like their privacy.
Why?
That's none of your ____ business.

Last edited by sns2; 07-24-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:06 PM

I have to admit, I was wondering what the OP's reason was for not wanting camera's. Not that he needs to justify to anyone why he makes a rule but maybe I am overlooking something when I put mine up that I haven't thought about.

I have a great reputation in my area and lots of access that other don't people get. I also follow some pretty strict rules for some of the land owners.
I'm fine with that though. I've just never had anything mentioned about camera's.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
What the [L] is with some folk? Was over checking on the grass on a pasture and found not one but three trail cams.
When I'm asked for permission to hunt I always state no cams but it seems people just don't care what the land owner wants. Do these same people think it would be alright for me[or anyone for that matter] to up trail cams in their house? Thinking I'll shut down permission to only those I know as I'm sick and tired of idiots.
How do you know that it was someone that you gave permission to? It could very well be that a trespasser could have put them up. If you want to find out, take the trail cams and leave a note informing them that they can have them back by coming to see you. You might have given permission to respectful hunters that follow your rules and some asshat that didn’t even bother to ask for permission. If it’s someone that you gave permission to, revoke it. IMO it’d be a shame to revoke permission from respectful hunters because of one dorkhead. Either way, at least you’ll know who did it.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
It's entitlement, he just comes across as entitled.
Not just entitlement, I find doing something that you were specifically told not to do highly disrespectful and a betrayal of trust. IMO if the individual can’t be trusted to follow that one simple rule he can’t be trusted to follow any of them. Not only would I revoke his permission but i’d Go out of my way to inform all of my neighbors as to what type of individual he is.

Some of the attitudes of the people that post on this forum really makes me wonder.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
That's a pretty idiotic way of thinking just because you think they should be illegal you shouldn't be touching anything that isn't yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I hope you’re trolling.

If I found you tampering with my cams, you might not be walking out from the bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Our passion will end with this generation ^^^ as the entitlement and lack of common sense is scary...

To those who leave game cams on Crown land, you have no disposition, nor temporary field authority to install a camera on the land. Entitlement is the right word; why are you entitled to litter your game cam on public land? And I didn't say I would break it or steal it, I just said I put it down at the base of the tree it's installed on. I don't like the thought of being unknowingly photographed while I'm out on public land away from it all and this is my peaceful protest against it.

As for DK's comment, I'm not really worried about it. If you or some other tough guy approached me and wanted to get physical about it, I'd oblige.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
To those who leave game cams on Crown land, you have no disposition, nor temporary field authority to install a camera on the land. Entitlement is the right word; why are you entitled to litter your game cam on public land? And I didn't say I would break it or steal it, I just said I put it down at the base of the tree it's installed on. I don't like the thought of being unknowingly photographed while I'm out on public land away from it all and this is my peaceful protest against it.

As for DK's comment, I'm not really worried about it. If you or some other tough guy approached me and wanted to get physical about it, I'd oblige.
How is having a trail camera on crown land any different than a tree stand ? What about a spike camp, bait site, random tenting ? These items are not liter, unless they have been abandoned.

Do you go around tampering with everything you encounter while on crown land ?

When you hunt these lands, do you park your vehicle on this exact land you feel a camera is liter ? Guess you probably wouldn't have a problem if someone tampered with your gear, vehicle, ext.

By the way, you most likely should stay inside as the amount of cameras taking your picture daily would be mind boggling...
Old 07-24-2019, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Some of the attitudes of the people that post on this forum really makes me wonder.
Some of the responses here blow my mind... how could anyone argue with a landowners request???
Old 07-24-2019, 02:52 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=WhiteTailAB;4004901]I get that, but it's a dumb rule IMO. Like I said, they're harmless. To me it's more of a "iM tHe oWnEr"

Not sure if I'm reading this right BUT it sounds to me like an
"authority complex", that we have here...What part of -NO- is so hard to understand
Old 07-24-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Some of the responses here blow my mind... how could anyone argue with a landowners request???
>>
This 100%.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I hope you’re trolling.

If I found you tampering with my cams, you might not be walking out from the bush
well said my thought as well if it was on my land
Old 07-24-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
How is having a trail camera on crown land any different than a tree stand ? What about a spike camp, bait site, random tenting ? These items are not liter, unless they have been abandoned.

Do you go around tampering with everything you encounter while on crown land ?

When you hunt these lands, do you park your vehicle on this exact land you feel a camera is liter ? Guess you probably wouldn't have a problem if someone tampered with your gear, vehicle, ext.

By the way, you most likely should stay inside as the amount of cameras taking your picture daily would be mind boggling...
Clearly we're not going to see eye to eye on the issue, but when I leave I take my tent and truck with me. I don't leave tree stands or bait either, but I don't care so much as it's not an electronic device potentially conveying photos of me to people and parts unknown. It's not that big of a deal, but just an uncomfortable annoyance so I take up my resistance.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Clearly we're not going to see eye to eye on the issue, but when I leave I take my tent and truck with me. I don't leave tree stands or bait either, but I don't care so much as it's not an electronic device potentially conveying photos of me to people and parts unknown. It's not that big of a deal, but just an uncomfortable annoyance so I take up my resistance.
So if the cam is locked to the tree, do you damage the lock or cable to remove it? How do you feel about dash cams that record your actions while driving?
Old 07-24-2019, 06:21 PM

I shoot every cam I see on private land.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
You are being filmed everywhere you go in the city. You want to go take their cameras down too?

Your photo being taken in a public place is perfectly legal without your permission.

You said it’s not that big of a deal, so why is your picture being taken on public land, likely to only be seen by one person months after, a reason to annoy and p!ss off the camera owner?

If you don’t like cameras on crown land potentially taking your picture, don’t hunt crown land. It’s just a small annoyance.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 PM
Banned

Simple fix. Take the cameras, leave a note asking the owners too come up to the house for a conversation.

IF there was a miscommunication between you and the Hunters, then get them straight. If it was a willful disregard of your stated rules, then hand them the cameras and tell them they are banned. Then, tell your neighbours about these bad actors. No sense shutting your place down to everyone.

Thanks for letting people on. Good on you.

Jamie
Old 07-24-2019, 06:39 PM

This isn’t about cameras on public land or crown land. They are on the OP’s private land. As far as I’m concerned the cameras become the land owners property.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So if the cam is locked to the tree, do you damage the lock or cable to remove it? How do you feel about dash cams that record your actions while driving?
Nah not into wrecking peoples things. Haven't ran into that circumstance, I would probably just carry on, but I suppose I could put a piece of tape over the lens. I usually keep some on me.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
You are being filmed everywhere you go in the city. You want to go take their cameras down too?

Nope, don't really have any expectation of privacy in the City. Also, most cameras are installed on private lands or City infrastructure so it's really a poor comparison.

Your photo being taken in a public place is perfectly legal without your permission.

True, doesn't mean I have to like it though.

You said it’s not that big of a deal, so why is your picture being taken on public land, likely to only be seen by one person months after, a reason to annoy and p!ss off the camera owner?

Same reason I elected to voice my position on the matter here. It's my small protest towards something I'm not happy with.

If you don’t like cameras on crown land potentially taking your picture, don’t hunt crown land. It’s just a small annoyance.

I suppose so, but I like Crown land. There is a unique freedom in being able to roam largely unimpeded over vast areas and away from people and devices. When you're sitting on a nice game trail or cut line a number of km from the nearest road thinking you're all alone in peace and quiet I sometimes get a nagging feeling that I might be in view of a game cam and it takes away from moment a little bit. Maybe it's just me, but such is how I see it.

Last edited by ehrgeiz; 07-24-2019 at 07:14 PM. Reason: format error
Old 07-24-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
This isn’t about cameras on public land or crown land. They are on the OP’s private land. As far as I’m concerned the cameras become the land owners property.
I agree.

Few years back, I gave a bowhunter from AO exclusive permission on my land on the river near Shell Scotford. Anyhow, one day we are out there and he tells me he found a number of cameras. No one had asked my permission, plus people had torn down multiple no hunting signs. I told the bowhunter I appreciated him keeping an eye out on my land, and the cameras were his to do with as he wished. Don't know what he did with them nor do I care. I also would not be putting up a note for trespassers to recover their property they put up on my land. Not a snowball's chance in hell.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:21 PM

I had a similiar yet different issue than the Op.
Someone hunting on the land directly across from mine (separated only by a 4-wire barbwire fence)
had their camera aimed directly at my small cutline (neighbours side is all bush, obviously using my land to track deer traffic). Every dang time i walked on my own land in front of it while walking my dogs "click click click", so annoying. I left a note on the fence post to "aim camera on the land it was on"...after 1month, no action or change, just "click click click" everyday.
So on day #32, i got me a stake, pounded it into ground in front of camera (on my land), bought a batch of lovely coloured ballons & tied them to the stake with string to let them dance in the wind...camera was gone on day #11...
Old 07-25-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Someone hunting on the land directly across from mine (separated only by a 4-wire barbwire fence)
had their camera aimed directly at my small cutline (neighbours side is all bush, obviously using my land to track deer traffic). Every dang time i walked on my own land in front of it while walking my dogs "click click click", so annoying. I left a note on the fence post to "aim camera on the land it was on"...after 1month, no action or change, just "click click click" everyday.
So on day #32, i got me a stake, pounded it into ground in front of camera (on my land), bought a batch of lovely coloured ballons & tied them to the stake with string to let them dance in the wind...camera was gone on day #11...
Old 07-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lol thats hilarious
Old 07-25-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Beauty! I'd hunt or fish with you anyday. I'd vote for you too. It's thinking like that that would have this country humming. Great work.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:05 PM

Well we found another cam today on the same 1/4, wrote a note and put it up as the cam came down at 4pm. At 8.30 a fellow and his wife pulled in the yard and he got out saying "I owe you an apology". I know this couple well and believe the story about not knowing it was our land as he thought it was Willie's. Said he couldn't believe a note being left but thanked us for that. He's a plumber so I asked a question about my furnace and off he went to look at it. 5 minutes and all is fine. He also has permission to chase his bull elk on the land. Not being a total twit worked well in this instance I'd say.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Well we found another cam today on the same 1/4, wrote a note and put it up as the cam came down at 4pm. At 8.30 a fellow and his wife pulled in the yard and he got out saying "I owe you an apology". I know this couple well and believe the story about not knowing it was our land as he thought it was Willie's. Said he couldn't believe a note being left but thanked us for that. He's a plumber so I asked a question about my furnace and off he went to look at it. 5 minutes and all is fine. He also has permission to chase his bull elk on the land. Not being a total twit worked well in this instance I'd say.
Glad to hear he had the nuts to apologize!

Sounds like it worked out great.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
It is landowners property and he makes the rules. He does not have to justify them to anyone. If he doesn't want cameras, he doesn't want cameras. Either follow the rules or get out. Pretty simple.
It should be this simple for sure, but unfortunately for ethical, honest hunters that attitude of "I want to" seems to get distorted into "its my right who cares if its your land". And exactly as you stated "Follow the rules or get out" pretend you have a pair and try to actually "man up" instead of pouting like a three year old that gets told no.