Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Default WILD GAME RECIPES. Post them. RECIPES ONLY!

As suggested by BigBuck$

If you have questions about a recipe, please "pm" the AO member who posted it.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 11-22-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 PM

Default Deer!

Backstrap McTasty Bites:

You will need:

Soy sauce,
A deer,
Bacon,
Toothpicks,
A knife,
Time.

-Cut the deer backstraps into slices about 1'' thick.

-Wrap 'em in bacon, but only one wrap.

-Pin ends of the pig gold with a toothpick.

-Stabby, stabby. Stab them bites.

-Soak them bad boys in the soysauce overnight, or the better part of the day, or for a couple hours, or for a little while... It really doesn't matter... just soak them lumps up.

-BBQ the pig/deer lovechilds at about 200 until the bacon is crispy.

-Eat them (You may feel a slight twitch in your pants)
Old 11-23-2012, 04:35 PM

Default Trout

You will need:

A trout (smaller whitemeat stocked works best)
real bacon bits
brown sugar
maple whiskey

Do not fillet the trout, just gut, and remove the head.

Mix the baconbits, and brown sugar together.

Support the trout on it's back with tinfoil so it stays belly up

pack the belly with the bacon bit/brown sugar concoction

Seal off the neck end of the trout by rolling the tin foil up to the open end.

Fill it with maple whisky.

wrap it up in the foil, and bbq. Lower heat for a longer time works best.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Default Slow cooker goose breasts

Whip up any sort of BBQ sauce you like. I usually throw in a bottle of store bought then add my own to spice it up. Load it up with goose/duck breasts and let it cook all day on low. You end up with a pulled pork consistency that is unreal on a fresh roll
Old 11-14-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronk View Post
Backstrap McTasty Bites:

You will need:

Soy sauce,
A deer,
Bacon,
Toothpicks,
A knife,
Time.

-Cut the deer backstraps into slices about 1'' thick.

-Wrap 'em in bacon, but only one wrap.

-Pin ends of the pig gold with a toothpick.

-Stabby, stabby. Stab them bites.

-Soak them bad boys in the soysauce overnight, or the better part of the day, or for a couple hours, or for a little while... It really doesn't matter... just soak them lumps up.

-BBQ the pig/deer lovechilds at about 200 until the bacon is crispy.

-Eat them (You may feel a slight twitch in your pants)

I made these the other day . Also included some mushrooms between the long wooden sticks .Just unreal . Seems like the meat just pulls in the bacon fat into the meat . Trick is not to over BBQ maybe around 155 F max on the inside
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Default jerky Marinade recipe

1/2 cup Soya sauce
8 Tbsp worchestershire sauce
3 tbsp liquid hickory smoke
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper

add 2 lb lean meat
let sit for 24 hr
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Default Gefilte Fish

Since it's Hanukkah, here is a traditional Jewish cold fish dumpling recipe. It's SO good. Shalom!

Gefilte Fish

1 1/2 lb whitefish
1 lb pike
1 lb walleye

You can substitute salmon, trout, burbot, or other firm pink or white fleshed fish and it should be fine.

1/2 cup water
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 eggs
2 to 3 heaping Tbsp of Knorr's fish stock for flavour (you can often find this in oriental sections at grocery stores)
salt and pepper to taste. I use a fair amount of these as the mixture tends to be very mild.

Bone and skin the fish, place all the fish and the chopped onion into a food processor and very finely mince.

Mix in the 2 eggs, water, the fish stock and the salt and pepper. The mixture will be quite wet.

Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Shape the fish into egg-shaped balls about the size of your palm and drop them one by one into the boiling water. When all the fish balls are in the pot, cover with a tight lid, turn down heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Do NOT lift the lid during the cooking.

When done, carefully remove with a slotted spoon, drain off and chill. The fish will continue to drain for several hours. Serve cold.

VARIATION: You can make a stock to boil the gefilte fish from the skin and bones of the fish, 2 onions quartered, 3 stalks of celery, 2 carrots, water, salt and pepper, but I've haven't found that this makes much difference to the taste of the gefilte fish. Instead I've used the Knorr's fish stock in the mixture.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Any Man's Cake

1. 19 oz. can of crushed pineapple

2. 1 box of Angle food cake mix

3. 1 9"x13" pirex dish

Use a deep mixing bowl as this will tend to foam up quite a bit
mix pineapple and angle food cake mix together.
pour into pirex dish.
cook for 1/2 hour in 350F or until golden brown.
don't be alarmed if the cake sinks in the middle, as it is still good to go.
enjoy
Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up Awesome Duck Recipe

I'm actually reposting this from an age old AO thread which is located here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=duck+breast

It is post 26 from the thread. I have used this a ton, and have always had great results. Shout out to Sjmejak who originally posted this winner.

I use a stuffing of provolone cheese, spinach and proscuitto ham. You can also use kale, mozza, bacon, whatever. Brilliant recipe.

Hope I am not breaking any rules by reposting it!!

Deep fried stuffed duck breast.

Posted this on another forum but figured it would fit here again. It's a way of cooking ducks and geese that will appeal even to people who say they don't like waterfowl but still has enough of the duck flavor to appeal to those of us who do like it. Try this out, you won't be disappointed with the results.

Step one: Pluck the breast of a medium to large duck and singe of the pin feathers.

Step 2: Cut the breast off the bone in one piece so that you have the 2 halves still connected by the skin.

Step 3: Cut a crosshatch pattern on the meat side of the breast but be carefull not to cut all the way through. Season meat side well with salt and pepper, cajun seasoning, or my favorite --OLD BAY.

Step 4: Put your favorite stuffing in the breast and tie the breast up with butcher string as shown (skewers or good sharp tooth picks can be used to hold it together too ). The stuffing shown is just ritz crackers, salt, pepper and parsley. But I've used fruit, herb, and sausage stuffings too.

Step 5. Roll in a light dusting of flour and deep fry at about 345-350 until the skin's really nice and brown(or roast at 425 for 20 minutes -- baste with oil or butter as she's going). Take out of oil, drain, dust with your favorite seasoning salt or spice and let sit about 5 minutes before taking off the string and slicing. Should be medium rare when done. I serve this with a drizzle of sauce made from lemon juice, mayonaise, capers, green onion, salt/pepper, hot sauce and worchesteshire.

Edit: The original thread had pics. I couldn't figure out how to get them cut over. But the pics were nice and very helpful!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM

Default Deer/Elk tenderloin/Backstraps

2-4lbs of Ungulate (Deer, Elk, Moose) Tenderloin and/or backstraps
Garlic (to taste - I use at least 3 cloves per pound if not more)
Fresh Rosemary
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Red Wine (Optional)

Salt and pepper the meat then marinate in chopped fresh rosemary, garlic and olive oil for at least a night. You can also mix in the Red Wine as well at this point.

Barbeque over high heat until rare-med rare.

Let meat rest for 10-15 mins.

Slice against the grain into 1cm thick pieces.

Serving option is to slice a small (2-3 CM across) french baguette and toast the bread in the oven.

Once the bread is done, spread dijon/hot mustard/horseradish type of sauce on it. Place once piece of the meat on top and enjoy.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 AM

Thumbs down Derrick wilderness creation

I brought 3 wolfs there in november 2011 to get rugs done out of them,he had told me they should be ready by june,its 9 months later and give him $ on them already and every time i talk to him he says there almost ready only the finishing touch to do,damn how long does it take to do the finishing touch,wouldnt recomend him to no one anyway.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twytter View Post
I brought 3 wolfs there in november 2011 to get rugs done out of them,he had told me they should be ready by june,its 9 months later and give him $ on them already and every time i talk to him he says there almost ready only the finishing touch to do,damn how long does it take to do the finishing touch,wouldnt recomend him to no one anyway.
at the end of the day..how did they taste?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 PM

Default BBQ Blackened Smoked Salmon Bites

This is the evolution of the other salmon recipe, which I've used for years.

• Cut your skinless salmon fillets into 1" strips, across the grain.
  • In a large plastic or glass bowl mix 1 part pickling or kosher salt with 2 parts brown sugar.
  • In a large glass or plastic container put a 1/4" layer of the mixed cure followed by a layer of salmon strips. Cover with cure and repeat layering until the container is near full. Put a lid on the container and let it sit in the fridge for 4-6 hours, mixing it up every hour or so. (The cure will turn into a liquid). The fillets are done once they take on a firm texture and the edges become translucent.
  • Remove all the fish and rinse it thoroughly with cold water. Take the time to rinse for a good 5-10 minutes, making sure to rinse every individual piece a few times. If you don't, it'll end up too salty. Let it dry in a strainer for 5-10 minutes.
  • Wash out the container and put all of your clean salmon back into it. This time cover the fish with 1 part soy sauce to 3 parts pure maple syrup. At the same time, put 3-4 cups of wood chips/shavings (I use Alder) in a separate bowl of water and let them soak as well. Let the salmon sit in the fridge for at least 12hrs, stirring and flipping a few times over the course of it.
  • After 12 hrs don't rinse the salmon off, but drain it and let it sit on a drying rack until it gets tacky to the touch. Scorch your bbq grill, clean it and rub it down with olive oil on a paper towel. Set your bbq to it's lowest setting. If you have a side searing station in the main grill, perfect. You're looking for 120-140 degrees.
  • Lay the salmon strips across the grill pattern (if you lay them with the grill they'll be tougher to move without breaking once the salmon warms up and gets soft), and brush every strip with 100% maple syrup, just one good coating.
  • Throw a few cups of soaked wood chips into a small pie plate and put it over the side of your grill that is on (again, the searing station works perfect) I put through two cycles of wood chips, over a half hour or so and then that's it for smoke. Pay close attention to the wood chips because you're gonna want to get them out of there as soon as they've done there burn, even a bit before every last chip is black. If you leave the chips in for too long you'll pick up that acrid, bitter smoke flavor.
  • Once the smoking is done let the fish sit in the bbq @ 130ish for another 3-4 hours. At this point you can remove the salmon and package it as is, or you can do the next step which my wife and I agree just make this recipe what it is.
  • Once our fish is done in the bbq I go out and open the lid and crank the bbq onto high. I'll stand out there with a table next to me with a cooling rack on it and just monitor/turn the salmon for the high temp part. I try to get it so that every piece of fish has a decent amount of slightly charred meat. If you do this right quickly, you'll mostly be charring the syrup that's on the outside which I find REALLY elevates the flavor.
  • Once they've all got a splash of "burnt" on them I let them cool outside on the rack until they're cool enough to vacuum seal.
  • The salmon meat will be quite flaky and weak when you're charring it so be prepared to be fast but gentle with your tongs. It's going to break into smaller pieces no matter what you do, you're just trying not to destroy it so that it falls apart completely and drops through your bbq grate. It really firms up nicely once it's totally cooled off.
  • I'll add some pictures the next time I open a package. I'm telling you, once you have a chunk of this sweet/smokey salmon you're going to have a hard time not eating the entire package. That's why we package it in reasonably small portions. Otherwise I make a pig of myself.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsports View Post
This is the evolution of the other salmon recipe, which I've used for years.

• Cut your skinless salmon fillets into 1" strips, across the grain.
  • In a large plastic or glass bowl mix 1 part pickling or kosher salt with 2 parts brown sugar.
  • In a large glass or plastic container put a 1/4" layer of the mixed cure followed by a layer of salmon strips. Cover with cure and repeat layering until the container is near full. Put a lid on the container and let it sit in the fridge for 4-6 hours, mixing it up every hour or so. (The cure will turn into a liquid). The fillets are done once they take on a firm texture and the edges become translucent.
  • Remove all the fish and rinse it thoroughly with cold water. Take the time to rinse for a good 5-10 minutes, making sure to rinse every individual piece a few times. If you don't, it'll end up too salty. Let it dry in a strainer for 5-10 minutes.
  • Wash out the container and put all of your clean salmon back into it. This time cover the fish with 1 part soy sauce to 3 parts pure maple syrup. At the same time, put 3-4 cups of wood chips/shavings (I use Alder) in a separate bowl of water and let them soak as well. Let the salmon sit in the fridge for at least 12hrs, stirring and flipping a few times over the course of it.
  • After 12 hrs don't rinse the salmon off, but drain it and let it sit on a drying rack until it gets tacky to the touch. Scorch your bbq grill, clean it and rub it down with olive oil on a paper towel. Set your bbq to it's lowest setting. If you have a side searing station in the main grill, perfect. You're looking for 120-140 degrees.
  • Lay the salmon strips across the grill pattern (if you lay them with the grill they'll be tougher to move without breaking once the salmon warms up and gets soft), and brush every strip with 100% maple syrup, just one good coating.
  • Throw a few cups of soaked wood chips into a small pie plate and put it over the side of your grill that is on (again, the searing station works perfect) I put through two cycles of wood chips, over a half hour or so and then that's it for smoke. Pay close attention to the wood chips because you're gonna want to get them out of there as soon as they've done there burn, even a bit before every last chip is black. If you leave the chips in for too long you'll pick up that acrid, bitter smoke flavor.
  • Once the smoking is done let the fish sit in the bbq @ 130ish for another 3-4 hours. At this point you can remove the salmon and package it as is, or you can do the next step which my wife and I agree just make this recipe what it is.
  • Once our fish is done in the bbq I go out and open the lid and crank the bbq onto high. I'll stand out there with a table next to me with a cooling rack on it and just monitor/turn the salmon for the high temp part. I try to get it so that every piece of fish has a decent amount of slightly charred meat. If you do this right quickly, you'll mostly be charring the syrup that's on the outside which I find REALLY elevates the flavor.
  • Once they've all got a splash of "burnt" on them I let them cool outside on the rack until they're cool enough to vacuum seal.
  • The salmon meat will be quite flaky and weak when you're charring it so be prepared to be fast but gentle with your tongs. It's going to break into smaller pieces no matter what you do, you're just trying not to destroy it so that it falls apart completely and drops through your bbq grate. It really firms up nicely once it's totally cooled off.
  • I'll add some pictures the next time I open a package. I'm telling you, once you have a chunk of this sweet/smokey salmon you're going to have a hard time not eating the entire package. That's why we package it in reasonably small portions. Otherwise I make a pig of myself.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Default Mennonite Pork Sausage

An old recipe!

12lbs fresh Lean Pork or(50/50 mix Pork and Wild Game Meat)
6 lbs Fresh Fat Pork
2 Tbsp Sage
1 Tbsp Pepper
1 Tsp Cloves
1 Tsp Nutmeg
4 Tsp Salt

Mix thoroughly and stuff into casings
Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 AM

Default Real Texas Chili-no beans, etc! meat!!!

I used cubed game...toasted whatever dried chilis you can get....or if need be use a lot of paprika. Been the most amazing chili ever, plus a side of cornbread and youre heavenly. garlic, stock, meat conrmeal and you are golden. if you want ground , google snakebite chili.

http://www.itsnoteasyeatinggreen.com...eans-no-beans/

as close as I can get to chili perfection...for the tough cuts

otherwise wrap in bacon, grill to rare....
Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 AM

Tried this one summer sausage turned out pretty good.

http://www.wildgamegrill.com/recipedetail.php?id=20
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 PM

Meat Pie (Tourtiere)

Ingredients

1 pound ground venison/moose
1/2 pound ground bacon or pork (bacon is my preference)
1 large baked potato OR 1cup frozen hashbrowns
1 large onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional), I just use an extra dash of allspice
1 dash ground allspice
1/2 cup water
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust deep dish pie
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch deep dish pie
Directions

Bake the potato until done, 30 - 45 minutes in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven. Peel and mash the potato.
Place the potato, ground pork, onion, spices and water in a large frying pan and simmer until very thick, for about one hour.
Meanwhile, prepare your pastry.
Line a deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Spoon in filling, spreading evenly. Cover with top crust.
Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Cut steam vent. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). If edges brown too fast, cover with a strip of foil. Serve warm.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 PM

This was posted by Arn?Narn in another thread, turned out great.

-------------------------------
I make this a lot.

Take two pounds of your favourite wild game. No fat, silver or any other chewy bits, just goos lean meat.

Chop it up very fine, it should looked like flaked tuna when you are done.

In a baking pot or dish add all these ingrediants together.

Wild game of your choice

1/2 cup of onion chopped fine
1 Red Pepper chopped small
1 Green Pepper chopped small
1 1/2 cups of peach yogurt
3 boiled potatoes
3 Tbsp yellow curry
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Pepper
3 Tbsp Franks hot sauce
2 Tbsp coarse mustard

Mix and mash it all together. It will be every thick. Now add enough milk to bring it to a gravy consistency.

Bake at 250 for 4-6 hours.

Give it a mixing now and then and little tasting, you may want a little more cuury, a little more hot sauce or a little more yogurt. This recipe is much miler than what I make, but it's better to be mild and hotten it up to taste as you are cooking.

Serve on basmati and if you don't have basmati, go get some !!! lol
Jasmine rice is ok too, but i always eat basmati.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:26 AM

Grilled Hoisin-Marinated Venison Loin Recipe

Venison is marinated in hoisin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and honey, then grilled until it is crunchy on the outside, but tender inside. Be sure to use unseasoned rice vinegar. Plan ahead to marinate the venison at least 4 hours before grilling.
Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours, 50 minutes

Ingredients:

1/3 cup hoisin sauce
3 Tablespoons rice vinegar (unseasoned)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup minced scallions, including green parts
1 Tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 boneless venison strip loin, 2-1/2 to 3 pounds, well trimmed, silver skin removed
Preparation:

Whisk together hoisin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, scallions, honey, salt, and oil, and scrape into a large resealable plastic bag. Add venison and seal, turning to coat evenly. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Remove venison from refrigerator and return to room temperature before cooking.

Light a gas or charcoal grill and heat to medium. Grill for 15 minutes per side, turning once, for medium rare.

Yield: 6 servings

Per serving: 339 calories; 10.7 g fat (2.4 g saturated fat; 28 percent calories from fat); 12.1 g carbohydrates; 171 mg cholesterol; 857 mg sodium; 46.7 g protein; 0.6 g fiber.

Recipe Source: D'Artagnan's Glorious Game Cookbook by Ariane Daguin, George Faison, and Joanna Pruess (Little Brown)
Reprinted with permission.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM

For all you budding cooks out there. This is a great recipe for jerky!!

5 pounds of meat sliced thin ( take your pick...wild or domestic)

3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tsp dried onion ( 1/2 tsp powdered)
4tsp granulated garlic ( 4 cloves crushed/pressed)
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
4 tsp crushed dried peppers

marinate for 12 to 24 hours in the fridge.
set in the smoker or dehydrator to dry.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:46 PM

Default Quick Fat Free Marinade for grilled Pork/Poultry/Game Birds

Great grilling marinade for Chicken Breasts or Pork Chops.
1/4 cup of Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp of Caesar Rim Spice
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Default Don't grind your shanks

Deer shanks are in my books some of the most flavourful parts of the animal
Sauté 4 small shanks in a large cast iron roaster, I use some bacon fat and garlic to start off.
Set aside when browned
Sauté a handful of shallots, more garlic, deglaze with beef stock
Return shanks to roaster
Add:
4-6 whole carrots
4 whole celery sticks
1 cinnamon stick
1 small bag baby taters
1 can stout
Add 1 litre beef stock
1 small can spiced roasted tomatoes(drained)
Pinch of cumin
Bunch if rosemary
Salt pepper to taste

Roast at 275-300 for 3-4 hrs until meat pulls back along the bone
And serve
I like to cook this a day ahead, let it cool and reheat and serve the next day to let the flavour sink in, don't add taters if you do this till next day as they will turn to mush.
Drink with a bold red wine.
Enjoy
Old 08-30-2015, 09:02 AM

Default Canada may get Mexican style wall

Presidential Canidate Scott Walker is proposing a Trump Mexican style wall for Canada.

Does that mean we send the 100,000 Americans in Alberta back?

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/58...ada-us-border/

Don
Old 09-16-2015, 12:53 PM

Default Spruce grouse fajitas recipe

We came up with this last week and found it very good and worth sharing.

Ingredients:
1 yellow pepper
1 red onion
2 spruce grouse (4 boned breasts actually)
Port wine
sriracha sauce
Soft fajita shell/bread
Salt and pepper of course
Grated cheese

The recipe is stupid simple. Just dice your spruce grouse meat, the onion and the yellow pepper. Stir fry the yellow pepper and onion together. When almost cooked, add the meat and cook all that together. When the meat is ready, add salt and pepper to taste and then dump a good cup of port wine on top of all that.
Cook for an extra couple minute and serve in your fajita bread with grated cheese and srirasha sauce.

Enjoy!
Old 11-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Banned

recipe name special fred dinner gourmet

1 can tuna
1 can spaghettios
meat from animal
pretzels
orange or lemon
turkey meat
potatoe
vegetable medley

cook all ingredients however you like them to be done
put them on a plate or do what you like to them
serve food
Old 11-19-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by special_fred View Post
recipe name special fred dinner gourmet

1 can tuna
1 can spaghettios
meat from animal
pretzels
orange or lemon
turkey meat
potatoe
vegetable medley

cook all ingredients however you like them to be done
put them on a plate or do what you like to them
serve food
Sounds more like slop in a pot
Old 11-29-2015, 12:33 PM

Looking for a kick butt elk sausage recipe - one you have actually tried.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:28 PM

You guys really have to try soaking your deer, or moose in a bud limerita, with onions. Soak for at least 4 hrs, throw on grill. I did this and the 8 people I was with could not believe what they were eating!!!
Old 01-01-2016, 07:47 PM

Default Hare in sesame oil

One of my students gave me a few meat rubs for Christmas (obviously a boy who pays attention to my interests!). As oil for he rub ("Beer can chicken," but any chicken rub would do), I used sesame oil. De-boned a hare and then coated the pieces with the rub/oil, then dusted them with flour before a slow simmer in sesame oil. After letting the pieces sit on paper towel for a few minutes, the result was delicious.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor