Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-28-2008, 09:42 AM

Default scope help

ok i just mounted my new bushnesll trophy 3x9 on my marlin mod 60 .22. took it to the range yesterday...and i am a bit confused...so i could use some advice.

i could get to where the scope (shooting off sand bags) was bang on....for one maybe 2 shots...and then it would just be waaaaaaay off...like not even hitting paper off.....so i would go through the process again....and the same results. this was at 100 yards and on 7x-9x magnification. the weather turned a bit cold and i didn't have time to try on the lower magnifications.

all the fittings are tight and the scop is not moving or sliding.....is it my optics inside that are screwed??...or is it just me?

help!!

thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 09:51 AM

Semi automatic 22 a fairly rough on scopes you may have to get a proper 22 scope.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Default Scope

T C most fellows sight in 22's at 50 yards, its Ok once you are sighted in at 50 to try and shoot 100 yards. Most 22 ammo isn't all that accurate at 100 yards esp. if you have any kind of breeze. Make sure that the screw that holds your rifle to the stock is good and tight. If your rifle is brand new, some guns require a fair number of shots down the barrel before the accuracy becomes consistent. Another consideration you may not be aware of is that not all 22's like all brands of ammo. Most of mine do all right with the American Eagle 38 gr hollow points. You might want to pick up 4 or 5 different brands in 36gr, 38, and 40 grain and then see which one groups best in your rifle, and do all of your testing at 50 yards. FS
Old 05-28-2008, 10:44 AM

thanks fasteel i appreciate the advice...it is not brand new, all is nice and snug......removed the old scope that was dead on at 50 and 100 yards, now the new scope is acting up....and my marlin loves federals and cci's