Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 PM
barry01

Default Muzzle Breaks

I am just looking a few opinions on muzzle breaks. I hear they make the gun quite loud, how much louder really, and is it worth it?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 11:43 PM

Default muzzle Break

are you hunting? or shooting paper? What cal?
if hunting I say not worth it. if paper and you can use ear protection yes depending on cal and Personal preferance.

Brad
Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry01 View Post
I am just looking a few opinions on muzzle breaks. I hear they make the gun quite loud, how much louder really, and is it worth it?

Thanks
Muzzle breaks are great for reducing felt recoil...tis true.

Huh?...What did you say?lol...

Yeah....They are LOUD...lol...nasty type of loud..needle stuck in the eardrum kind of loud..

Had one put on my kids rifle when he was 14 and 90lbs in a rain strom..

.30-06 was just a bit much for him at that time..but..with a muzzle brake and ear plugs he was able to shoot pretty good..
Good enough to stop his flinch and good enough to get him his first moose when he was 14..

Also good enough to make any bystander deaf....yeah....it's loud..

Thank god junior out grew that damn thing..
Old 05-27-2008, 05:59 AM
stubblejumper

They make a gun load enough to cause permanent hearing damage from a single shot with no hearing protection.I know a person that is living proof of this.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
They make a gun load enough to cause permanent hearing damage from a single shot with no hearing protection.I know a person that is living proof of this.
If it is the same person I am thinking about, he also has had problems with a detached retnas!!
I talked to him a few years back, and he ws not sure if the two incidents are related or not.
However, the concussion from some of those braked rifles is simply stunning.
Braked rifles have been known to knock the insulation off the roof of our firing line, and blow stuff off the bench next to them.
Cat
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
Happened to a buddy of mine also. Ear is still ringing from last October.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 AM

Had one on my first 300WM, hated it. They are way loud, and as far as recoil reduction I found no big difference. I know there are a lot of different brake styles and they obviously must work if done right, but they aren't for me. I'm shooting a T-3 in .338 now, and all I did to it was add a sporting clays decellerator pad. I think if your rifle fits you well, have good eye relief on your scope, then you've got er made. My Whelen just has the plastic butt plate on it and I don't find it bad at all. Practicing with lighter loads will also help. Good luck with your choice.

O yah the other shooters on the range will appreciate it if you don't get one, I used to clear the range when I showed up with the 300 .
Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM

Default recoil reduction

I've been wondering, why is it that some shotguns have, or can be modified to have, a recoil reduction system in the butt, but I've never heard of it for a centerfire rifle?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've been wondering, why is it that some shotguns have, or can be modified to have, a recoil reduction system in the butt, but I've never heard of it for a centerfire rifle?
I put a mercury recoil reducer in the butt of a Savage 7mm RM. Just had it epoxied into it. Worked really well. The guy who has it now loves it.

If your thinking of doing this, do a google search and order it from the states. Considerably cheaper.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 PM

my ears still ring at times from getting "blasted" in africa in june so almost a year ago, i now will not hunt with someone if they have a brake on their gun its just too loud and it really isnt necessary, if you need to shoot a gun that big then get it mercury reduced or something else its just not worth it
Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 PM

My buddy has one on his 7mm he hates how loud it is but loves how much recoil it reduces. He can shoot his rifle all day without any discomfort now which ****es me off because im always at the range with him. I cant help but flinch waiting for the huge booooooooooooommm I can feel in my chest down to my feet!!
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
My buddy has one on his 7mm he hates how loud it is but loves how much recoil it reduces. He can shoot his rifle all day without any discomfort now which ****es me off because im always at the range with him.
I find the 7mmremmag mild enough to shoot all day without a brake.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:48 PM

Yea he must be delicate or sumthing
Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Yea he must be delicate or sumthing
And soon to be deaf.