Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Mini 14 Target

Hey There Looking At Getting A New Gun Heavy Barrel For Coyotes
Really Like The Look Of The New Ruger Mini 14 Varmint . Just Wondering If Anyone Out There Has One Or Has Read Any Reviews On Them.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 AM

Too new for much of a chance of any of us N of 49ers to have one, It sometimes takes well over a year for new firearms to hit the Canadian market.
Also you better hope Canada doesnt follow the UN rule about requireing country of origin marking,(Dec 07) it will likely reduce the amount of imported firearms to almost nil, and those that do come in will be so inflated in price it will be unbeleivable.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 AM

Wow Not Sure What Your Talking About But This Gun Is For Sale At Wholesale Sports And Has Being For A While.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 AM

well color me wrong, I was mistaken.
sorry for the wrong info.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-28-2007, 02:01 PM

Also at Canadian Tire on Macleod Tr in Calgary. Saw one in action at the CDTSA range in August.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:05 PM

By the way, if you intend to reload, I wouldn't buy one. I was about 20ft away, to the right of the gun, and the cases sometimes hit me, but mostly, they were ejected up over the shelter where they almost hit our vehicles. Never saw a gun with such a vigorous and inconsistent ejection. I noticed that there was no attempt to retrieve cases, would have been frustrating trying to find them all, scattered over such a large area.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:35 PM

Ruger Mini Barrel Conversions & New Rifle Packages
PRICE LIST FOR RUGER MINI 14® & RUGER MINI 30®
∗All conversions have an Accuracy Guarantee when Bedded∗

∗ Rifles pictured with available options toward middle of this page. ∗

Hello and welcome to our Ruger Mini conversion page. This page is long but filled with a lot of information about our accuracy conversions. Back in the 90’s when we started, we made it our goal to achieve the most accurate Mini conversions on the planet, bar none. We saw what other companies had to offer and thought to our self’s, we can do better. This didn't go over well with some companies, as you can see in their adverse advertising. We will be up front with you. We are not cheap! If you want a cheap conversion remember you get what you pay for. Do you want a Smith that does a few Mini’s a year with a prefabricated barrel, then installs the barrel and hopes it delivers the accuracy? Or do you want a company that makes the Mini their business and guarantees accuracy?! Cheap is not always better when it comes to accuracy. We know what the Mini’s weaknesses are through trial and error, you can't cut corners when it comes to accuracy! The Mini is well built and is worth every penny you spend with us to upgrade the rifle to match grade accuracy. We will review some comparisons between the popular AR 15 system and the Mini 14® system below.

The Mini 14® rifle system is a close copy of the Grand’s receiver, bolt and trigger group system. I don't have to tell you that it ends there, but they are still very similar. The Mini is a very tough, well built system as it is. It will take all the abuse you can dish out and still be depended on to function when you need it. Here is a quote from General George Patton:"The M1 is the best battle weapon ever developed." The outcome of WW 2 proves this rifle to be battle worthy. That is also why even to this very day our troops in Iraq & Afghanistan prefer the dependability of the M14 which is the M1's predecessor over the AR 15! But you say to yourself, why put $600 plus dollars into a rifle I only paid $500 for. Well below are some good reasons. Not to mention, have you priced a new M14 lately? Yes, it does shoot a 308 Winchester compared to a 223 Remington. But it also weighs more, cost more and doesn't come with an accuracy guarantee unless you pay extra. Don't feel stuck with the 223 caliber either, we do offer other calibers to suit your needs.

MINI 14 & AR15 Comparisons
Mini 14 - No hot gases are dumped into the bolt. So the bolt is not over come by excessive heat! Also there is no carbon to build up and lock up the bolt!

AR15 - Hot gases are dumped into the bolt to say the least and carbon will build up if not regularly cleaned causing a malfunction and or cease to operate condition.

Mini 14 - All steel receiver and case hardened to a thickness of at least .020"

AR15 - 75% aluminum alloy with the critical parts steel

Mini 14 - Open bolt design is a close copy of the M14. The open bolt is very forgiving when it comes to dirt, dust or sand. The rifle clean or dirty just keeps ticking and ticking.

AR 15- Closed bolt design. Just ask our troops about the plastic baggies they need to use to keep the sand from jamming up there rifles.

Mini 14 - Self cleaning gas system no buffer tube to collect moisture or dirt and lock up the buffer system.

AR 15- Must be field stripped to clean trigger compartment, Buffer system, Bolt & carrier and gas tube system.

Mini 14 - compact, versatile, and doesn't take up much space.

AR15 - Large bulky

Mini 14 - Field strips in seconds. Pop the trigger guard and the rifle practically dismantles it self.

AR 15- Definitely slower to disassemble.

Mini 14 - Now here the AR has an advantage over the Mini. Out of the box ACCURACY!

AR 15 - Out of the box ACCURACY!

Mini 14 - But here we can help! We can turn your Mini 14 into a rifle that will shoot right next to an AR15 after one of our conversions is completed. Now that we have discussed the pros and cons of the rifles you would have to say the Mini definitely has some advantages and we can take care of the disadvantages!

Accuracy Systems, Inc.
MINI 14 TARGET
MAKER: Sturm, Ruger & Co.
1 Lacey Place
Southport, CT 06890
(203) 259-7843
www.ruger.com

ACTION TYPE: Gas operated, semiauto
CALIBER: 223 Remington
CAPACITY: 5
OVERALL
LENGTH: 42.5"
BARREL
LENGTH: 22", 1:9" twist
WEIGHT: 9.5 pounds
STOCK: Laminated wood
FINISH: Matte stainless steel
SIGHTS: None, 1" rings provided
PRICE: $995

FULLFIELD II TACTICAL 4.5-14X42MM
Maker: Burris
331 East 8th Street, Greely, CO 80631
(970) 356-1670, www.burrisoptics.com

MAGNIFICATION: 4.5X to 14X
OBJECTIVE
DIAMETER: 42mm
EYE RELIEF: 3.8 (4.5X), 3.1 (14X)
INTERNAL 40" elevation and
ADJ. RANGE: windage at 100 yards
CLICK VALUE: 1/4"
TUBE
DIAMETER: 1"
WEIGHT: 18 ounces
OVERALL
LENGTH: 13"
RETICLES: Ballistic plex
PRICE: $674

ACCURACY TEST RESULTS

Group Size (inches)
Load Velocity
(brand, bullet weight, type) (fps) 1 2 3 Average

BLACK HILLS 40 BARNES 3,516 2.13 2.04 1.57 1.91
BLACK HILLS 52 MATCH 3,137 1.61 1.41 1.21 1.41
FEDERAL 69 GOLD MEDAL 2,808 1.29 1.34 1.27 1.30
REMINGTON-UMC 55 FMJ 3,002 2.16 2.53 -2.84 2.51
WINCHESTER RANGER 69 2,964 1.21 0.91 1.21 1.11
WOLF 62 FMJ 2,915 1.82 2.07 2.49 2.13
Average of all groups: 1.73"

Notes: Accuracy measurements are of 5-shot groups at 100
yards from a benchrest. Velocity is the instrumental
average of 10 shots at 15'.

When extreme accuracy is the goal, the New Mini-14® Target Rifle, is the only choice. With its heavy barrel, adjustable harmonic dampener and target stock, the Target Mini can be tuned to shoot one-inch groups at a hundred yards.

The heavy barrel Mini-14® Target Rifle delivers minute of angle accuracy when tuned using the adjustable harmonic dampener. The Target Rifle's new grey laminated target stock features a wide, flat forend for easy holding or resting on sandbags and a non-slip grooved rubber recoil pad with three spacers to change the length of pull by up to 1-1/2 inches. Like all Ruger Ranch Rifles, the New Target Model comes from the factory set up for scope use with patented Ruger scope bases machined directly into the receiver. A set of stainless steel Ruger scope rings is included free with each Ruger Mini-14® Target Rifle.

Mini-14® Target Rifle

Laminated black target stock chambered in the popular .223 Rem. cartridge. Scope not included.
NEW! Now available in Black Hogue® OverMolded™ stock.

Last edited by gsteeves; 11-28-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:48 PM
jrs

I have lots of experience with one of the older mini-14's and i would not reccomend them for accuracy. I think a 1 foot group is about the best it can do, i wasted a bit of money getting bases and a scope for it. Cool looking, fun to shoot, not really great for hitting stuff. The bolt shooting back is supposed to be pretty hard on optics as well (or so the guy at wholesale sports told me when i bought the bases). If the new ones are accurate that would make for a fun gun.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:57 PM

When the Mini-14 originally came out, Ruger advertised it as the "worlds most expensive Plinker" . Mine certainly lived up to that slogan.
Grizz
Old 11-29-2007, 03:50 PM

I picked up a Mini .30 this summer. Shoots tight 2 shot groups (almost touching.), but one of the three in a three shot group wanders 2 to 3 inches off. Might be something to that mention above about the bolt recoil being hard on optics. Last time out I took the scope off and got more consistant results with the open sights, although I had to bring the rear peep almost full deflection left to be on target. Thought that was odd. Also throws spent brass way out there. I don't shoot it with anybody or anything to my right. Lots of fun to shoot though. I even took it out after deer this fall when I was hunting in the thick stuff. Blew a chance at a nice White tail at about 35 ft. but that wasn't the guns fault. Kinda hard to find ammo for these days. Saw an article in one of the Mags this fall where an Alaskan (I think) bear guide was using a Mini 14 as his backup gun when with his clients. I like these guns and am a big Ruger fan but.....
Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 PM

I have a target mini 14 and it is exceptionally accurate, and for sale as I need xmas cash. This one will easily do 5 shot 5/8 inch. I agree on the brass flying around but a brass deflector /catcher is easy to make. When whacking coyotes .... probably not an issue. If you want a semi auto .223 this is a great one for the non restricted crowd. Also, I have had 3 mini 14s and I have NEVER had one that failed to feed. Very dependable.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Mini 14 Target

P.M. Sent
Old 12-28-2007, 07:45 PM

Sportsmans den has one in Red Deer and has moved a few talked to Dale and he has had good feedback on them also read a review says sub moa at 100 just barely but sub non the less I sure like it but I would be finding a cheap military round that shot well rather than trying to reload I bet they love ammo
Old 06-01-2008, 03:52 PM

They do love to be fed. I bought one from Dale and its fun but I can't afford to feed it. I'll have to find some bulk surplus ammo some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Sportsmans den has one in Red Deer and has moved a few talked to Dale and he has had good feedback on them also read a review says sub moa at 100 just barely but sub non the less I sure like it but I would be finding a cheap military round that shot well rather than trying to reload I bet they love ammo
Old 06-03-2008, 11:52 AM

The Target model has a regular barrel under the handguard and a heavy barrel after the gas block. Interesting.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 PM

Ive never been able to get consistant groups with any of the three I used to own, always get a flyer in a 5-7 shot group. Thay are fun to shoot and fairly accurate the flyer dosent fly by much. I noticed the barrel would get hot really hot and fast thats most likely why i got flyers im sure if I let it cool down it would hold a tight group. Hey its a plinker let em fly