Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 PM

Default First time Coyote's

Hey guys, new to the board and new to the Coyote game:

I have a couple coyote's in the garage drying, this is the process I did for them, looking for any other tips or suggestions.

Shot 2 coyote's
Skinned them, put them on a stretcher, washed both sides with garden hose and a little Dawn. Did my best with fleshing, (weak point). Dries skin out for 20-24 hours, turned them hide out, combed with a fine wire brush.

I had a guy tell me instead of removing the ear cartilage, he just puts 2 slices from the base of the ear to the tip of the ear, then he pins them towards the eyes. I have had people tell me, no this is wrong, make sure to remove the cartilage. This guy tells me if you just cut them they will dry without removing them.

I am also told the adjustable stretchers are not recommended now. is this true, I do have solid wood ones but I sure like the adjustable's??????

Below are my first 2 dogs, click on image to enlarge I guess, can anyone see anything wrong with what I am doing. The one on the right I thought was pretty big????????

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0758.jpg (183.7 KB, 1716 views)

Last edited by rbirnie; 11-19-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:10 PM

Here's some pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0760.jpg (162.8 KB, 785 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0759.jpg (175.6 KB, 623 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0758.jpg (183.0 KB, 715 views)
Old 11-19-2007, 08:05 PM

I don't remove the cartilages...just make sure there is no meat left on the ear butts. I pin the ears forward, as well. When you take them off the stretchers, snap them like you would a towel, it'll make the hair stand up better. And fleshing is a VERY important step. If you don't feel you did them good enough, you should try to improve on this particular step.

And I also use adjustable stretchers, just don't overstretch them, just pull the stretchers until they are taut.

Yours look fine.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 11-19-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:07 PM

I'm no expert, but the first furs I ever sent to auction last year averaged more than the auction average for western coyotes, so I assume I am doing something better than most.

I remove as much of the cartilage from the ear as I can. I then let the ears hang back flat. I used boards like yours. I also cut little boards to stick inside and pin down the front legs and to pin down the split tail.

I wash the hides after fleshing, in the laundry tub. I use cold water and dish soap. I keep hand washing until I no longer wring out pink water. After the hides are turned, I brush/fluff the fur with a pet brush.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 PM

AB2506, your coyotes look very nice. But a possible reason for higher than average price is the fact that you take them from Southern Alberta....they generally have better color from the south.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 AM

So in everyone's opionon, whats the easiest way to bag coyote's?????

Predator Calling
or
Trapping and snaring

I have been doing alot of calling, but I may consider setting some snares,pending on cost of supplies and equipment.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 AM

Snares...hands down...they are working 24/7. They are cheap, easy to use and very effective, in the right hands.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM

If your in it for the money, trapping is the way to go, if your in it for the port hunting then you have your answer, my philosophy is that you do a lot of damage to the fur when it's shot unless your a real good marksman.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbirnie View Post
So in everyone's opionon, whats the easiest way to bag coyote's?????

Predator Calling
or
Trapping and snaring

I have been doing alot of calling, but I may consider setting some snares,pending on cost of supplies and equipment.
Im new to your site and to trapping. I have hunted coyote's all my life and shoot 15 to 25 a year not trying hard . i just started trapping and had 25 coyotes in less than a month and a half. So i say snairing is the cheepest and fastest way to kill k9's.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:48 PM

very nice... great job
Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM

Default Coyote Ears

I learnt a good way to flesh out the ears a long time ago........when your skinning and get to the ears......use your fingers to get that little pocket/hole on top of the head....then use something cylindrical....like a larger screw driver...and put it through the hole and grab the handle and the end of the screw driver and apply steady pressure down wards.....you will flesh the ears out nicely.....

This method was past down from a trapper in eastern ontario..who traps hundreds of coyotes a year and it was past down to him from a trapping trip he took to Australia....those aussies skin a lot of foxes let me tell you

Hey any body got any good tips on calling...i've been using that yu-ti caller it sounds great.....to me.....not so much to the coyotes i guess cause i haven't called any in.......
Old 10-31-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Coyote trapping

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone would be able to take the time to show me how to build, set, and trap coyotes. I have a quarter section of land near Breton with about 70 acres of forrest with a ton of coyotes in the area. I will be shooting as many as I can this year but want to trap as well. Of course for the trade you can keep the dogs. The know how is all I want for now. In total I have 5 quarters to hunt on all in the same block with no worries of farm dogs getting caught. ( I hope ).
Old 11-01-2009, 09:56 PM

As for trapping, pretty sure you have to have a trappers license.Hunting them will probably be the most productive. A good predator call and the being smart about how you setting up to call.Also great practice. Good luck
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 PM

So... how long do we have to look at this post for???

I am quite bored with it. Lots more other animals to trap than coyotes.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM

well I wish I could be there to help you out. There's different ways to trap and hunt cayotes, I found the best way is to set a bait trap, find a heavy bush area that is open all around near a field or simillar, put bait in the middle, clean out about 6 to 8 trail about a foot wide, but not straight, make them look natural as much as you can, then about 10 to 20 feets from your bait set the snares, I prefer using power ram with the snares, it really does the job on them, but not neccessary. set you snare about 6 to 8 inches off the ground. in an area that you have I would set bout 10 stations and maintain them well everyday, you'll enjoy the results.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Default nice looking fur

Washing the pelts seem like a good idea. I always wash the area were most of the blood is but i think washing of the pelts is a better idea. comb them quite freq also. When i recieve my pelt assesment or rateing of my pelts i have never lost money because of ear cartlege. I leave it in. my uncle skins them out . I think its about preference. for flees i spry raid in a big black garbage bag then pull it up over the dog tieing it on top. this works well. I recently just joined this site love it alot of good ideas. good info. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM

Fleas i can handle, but what do you do with the mangey ones?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Fr Sask. the yotes around here are cannibals.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:35 PM

Default the removial of cartilge is vary important Iv had coyotes rot http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/angry3.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbirnie View Post
Hey guys, new to the board and new to the Coyote game:

I have a couple coyote's in the garage drying, this is the process I did for them, looking for any other tips or suggestions.

Shot 2 coyote's
Skinned them, put them on a stretcher, washed both sides with garden hose and a little Dawn. Did my best with fleshing, (weak point). Dries skin out for 20-24 hours, turned them hide out, combed with a fine wire brush.

I had a guy tell me instead of removing the ear cartilage, he just puts 2 slices from the base of the ear to the tip of the ear, then he pins them towards the eyes. I have had people tell me, no this is wrong, make sure to remove the cartilage. This guy tells me if you just cut them they will dry without removing them.

I am also told the adjustable stretchers are not recommended now. is this true, I do have solid wood ones but I sure like the adjustable's??????

Below are my first 2 dogs, click on image to enlarge I guess, can anyone see anything wrong with what I am doing. The one on the right I thought was pretty big????????

Thanks
Old 03-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Hey guys. I just read this thread and will try to answer a bunch of questions I seen posted.
Fleas: Hang them up by a hind leg and spray the whole animal. If you are spraying them in a bag, make sure you spray both sides, not just into the bag. All fox and coyotes have fleas and the healthier the animal, the more fleas it has. Fleas are actually a good thing on coyotes and fox, they're just a pain in the butt for us. Yes the canine fleas WILL bite humans and your domestic dogs.
Carcasses: Coyotes are not typically cannibalistic, but during the dead of winter they will eat whatever they can, including themselves. It's not their first choice buy beggars can't be choosers.
Skinning, fleshing and boarding canines: I can type thousands of words and never explain it properly. Watch my videos on YouTube on skinning, fleshing and boarding coyotes. There are 3 videos, each dealing with each aspect of putting up coyotes. My channel is 5911ryan
Catching coyotes: Again, I have videos up showing how I bait, where I set and what type of cover I'm looking for.
Hopefully I've added a few constructive thoughts to this. Ryan
Old 05-29-2014, 08:53 PM

Smile Trapping Coyotes

There's a lot of good talk about the use of snares which I will have to get more knowledge of setting better, but can any one tell me if they know someone or use the J.C Conners Heavy Duty T-Bar Shock Spring on their trap chains . I am thinking of purchasing some instead of a smaller type spring . Wondering how they work . Thanks
Old 01-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Banned

Default selling whole coyotes legally?

my neighbor has a feed lot and i see 5-10 coyotes everytime by his "buffet" he calls it,I have permission to shoot. How can I sell them legally and how much can I expect to get for them?
Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK View Post
my neighbor has a feed lot and i see 5-10 coyotes everytime by his "buffet" he calls it,I have permission to shoot. How can I sell them legally and how much can I expect to get for them?
You need to find someone with a fur buyer's license. I have one and buy whole dogs but I'm in Morinville. I'm pretty sure that there's a guy buying whole dogs in Bonnyville but I don't know his name. Don't expect to get a lot of money for a shot dog, maybe enough to pay for your ammo and gas. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:05 AM

Default new to trapping an fleshing

Hey I was just wondering if anyone has some advice 4 me. I'm just starting 2 get set up 2 stretching an fleshing my own hides. Where in central alberta can I go to purchase a knives? Or online I guess will work too. I know ppl say go with a cheaper knives to start with so I don't slice my hide in half lol. Any suggestions? ? Thanks k
Old 02-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyisit73 View Post
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has some advice 4 me. I'm just starting 2 get set up 2 stretching an fleshing my own hides. Where in central alberta can I go to purchase a knives? Or online I guess will work too. I know ppl say go with a cheaper knives to start with so I don't slice my hide in half lol. Any suggestions? ? Thanks k
Paul, pick yourself up an inexpensive paring knife for $7 and a steel to sharpen it with and keep it sharp. Except for the initial cuts, the front legs and the head, most of your skinning should be done just by pulling the pelt down. You can buy a cheap fleshing knife from Halfords for about $25.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:10 PM

Great... thanks. I been hunting 4 30 some years so I have lots of knives an I do know how to skinn stuff lol so it looks pretty easy that way. I have a GOOD little bunny knife that I will probably use. Just need to know WHERE to go to buy a fleshing knife. Thanks 4 the info Dave
Old 03-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Banned

I'm not a Trapper, but this was the first coyote I (managed to) save the pelt.

I made a mess of this guy, two entry holes / one 8" exit across the neck&shoulder area and one 1" exit hole / and blew 1 of his back legs off. I even managed to catch the last 3" of his tail, shot it off too !

I sewed his neck up, but initially missed the 2nd exit hole on the opposite side. It's about an inch wide hole.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Banned

Wow... Came to check this thread out to find a fur buyer near Calgary. Didn't realize I was the last one to post here, and almost 18 months ago !

I've got 5 (good) dogs skinned & hanging, about to process another one... 2 of them are 4ft nose-to-base of tail, everything else is over 34".