Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-05-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Has anyone contacted F&W?

but I'm sure the outfitter has friends on here and is freaking and already contacted those bozos to make sure they get their stories straight.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:15 PM

Default Does f&g watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Absolutely agree. Exactly the kind of guy that gives hunters.bad name. He should NEVER be allowed on T,V,
Yep, he’s a pathetic excuse for a hunter.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:33 PM

Wow what attitudes. The eye roll when the Argo broke down. The cameraman bad luck crap. The unbelievable wolf comments. Constant complaining about the “cold” weather. He sounded like he hates hunting the whole time until that moose was actually down. Brutal
Old 10-05-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Agree fully with your comments and is the video is another great example of how far down the scale this show has slid. However IMO it would be difficult to prove in a court of law without additional footage. While the motor is clearly running (approx 10:15 in the video) while the "hunter" lines up the shot, there is no clear evidence that the rifle is loaded (it most likely is however that is conjecture on my part and would probably be the legal argument if it went to trial .... and no, I am not a lawyer). When the shot is taken (at around 10:42) in the video the boat he is occupying does not appear to be moving however the motor is clearly still in the down position. It will be claimed that the sound of the motor running is the chase/camera boat. I will let the court of AO debate and decide the relative merits of this one
Yeah, at 10:15 it certainly looks like he's all excited trying to get a shot off. And if he wasn't shooting, he was scoping something lol. But the most offensive part for me was the closeup shot of the overcooked tenderloins.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:56 PM

Default Wild TV

What a bunch of drama queens!! As bad as that show was, there was nothing illegal shown. You may suspect something happened but there is no conclusive and factual evidence that an offence happened. It would be a waste of everyone’s time and the taxpayers money to investigate this. The chance of a prosecution would be almost zero based on that video. I’m no fan of F&G but this would be waste of time and money!

The host is clearly a tool but seriously hunters vs hunters is a big reason why the anti’s have so much success with their sick agenda. We have to stop attacking each other!

Seriously, most of you whom-posted are so blinded by your hatred of outfitters that you have lost all common sense! Be better, for the future of the sport!
Old 10-05-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
What a bunch of drama queens!! As bad as that show was, there was nothing illegal shown. You may suspect something happened but there is no conclusive and factual evidence that an offence happened. It would be a waste of everyone’s time and the taxpayers money to investigate this. The chance of a prosecution would be almost zero based on that video. I’m no fan of F&G but this would be waste of time and money!

The host is clearly a tool but seriously hunters vs hunters is a big reason why the anti’s have so much success with their sick agenda. We have to stop attacking each other!

Seriously, most of you whom-posted are so blinded by your hatred of outfitters that you have lost all common sense! Be better, for the future of the sport!
Most of the posts are against the host, and feeling bad for the guide putting up with it. Not against the outfitters as you said... anyways what was the host like off camera, did he help you with the moose after?
Old 10-05-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Most of the posts are against the host, and feeling bad for the guide putting up with it. Not against the outfitters as you said... anyways what was the host like off camera, did he help you with the moose after?
No clue, I don’t know any of the folks in the video. I would like to go up there fishing one day!
Old 10-06-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
No clue, I don’t know any of the folks in the video. I would like to go up there fishing one day!
I went up there a long time ago. It was self guided and the fishing was awesome! The lake itself is very treacherous with lots of reefs, and shallow water with regard rocky bottoms. There was a very large collection of busted props in one of the sheds.

Oh and I feel bad for the poor guide in this episode. Loved the moose call from a beer box though. Lol
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-06-2020, 08:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

at the end of the day...yes...we are watched constantly...post a pic...show a vid...eyes are on it....idiots like to brag and are easy picking!

ohhh and with editing and multiple shots to make a clip well things don't always look like they are....trust me been involved from the guy getting filmed...a 10 minute blurb took 8 hrs,,,,,whew....that was the end of my acting career

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:

See post #24.
He clearly shot from a boat that wasn't at anchor or under manual power.
It's pretty simple actually.
But go ahead and defend away.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:40 AM

Default Boat shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
See post #24.
He clearly shot from a boat that wasn't at anchor or under manual power.
It's pretty simple actually.
But go ahead and defend away.
How do you know the boat wasn’t anchored? Maybe it was tied to the bow ring or maybe off the back of the boat. I suspect the engine noise is the camera guys boat as well, the guide would know to kill the engine so the hunters scope reticle wasn’t jumping all over the place. Have you ever shot from a boat, I have lined up (looked thru scope at a target) when the engine was running and it’s almost impossible to aim until the engines off and the boat is still. I’m just saying there’s nothing conclusive and it would be a waste of time and money, I doubt a prosecutor would take it to court anyways.

Last edited by Sportsman; 10-06-2020 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-06-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
How do you know the boat wasn’t anchored? Maybe it was tied to the bow ring or maybe off the back of the boat. I suspect the engine noise is the camera guys boat as well, the guide would know to kill the engine so the hunters scope reticle wasn’t jumping all over the place. Have you ever shot from a boat, I have lined up (looked thru scope at a target) when the engine was running and it’s almost impossible to aim until the engines off and the boat is still. I’m just saying there’s nothing conclusive and it would be a waste of time and money, I doubt a prosecutor would take it to court anyways.
I explained my point of view in post #17.
Have you read the thread? A lot of good points made.
Whether this gets pursued or not is of no relevance to me. But the fact is, he broke the law and the guide is to blame.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Actually most posts were sympathetic to the outfitter/guide. Did you even read what people wrote? He whined about his safety from wolves (there have only been two verified deaths attributed to wolves in North America in recent decades – one in northern Saskatchewan in 2005 and another in rural Alaska in 2010. According to a 2002 report, no verified wolf-caused deaths had occurred in North America since 1900 prior to those two)
He whined about the guides "winging" it. He whined about the weather. He whined about the argos. It was non stop until he shot something. I don't mind not associating or endorsing these types.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:50 AM

There is a BIG difference between being an butt wad privately versus filming it and showing it to the whole world as being representative of hunting's elite levels. I don't care if he is a hunter, I will not condone the behaviour he demonstrated.

As far as wasting Fish and Wildlife's' time investigating, that is what they are here for and it is what they enjoy doing. It will not take long reviewing the reams of video that exists to determine if there was a violation or not. All I can say is is sounds like a Duck, Swims like a Duck, it probably is a Duck. I hope the OP called the Tip line, then it is in F&W's hands to pursue or not.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Actually most posts were sympathetic to the outfitter/guide. Did you even read what people wrote? He whined about his safety from wolves (there have only been two verified deaths attributed to wolves in North America in recent decades – one in northern Saskatchewan in 2005 and another in rural Alaska in 2010. According to a 2002 report, no verified wolf-caused deaths had occurred in North America since 1900 prior to those two)
He whined about the guides "winging" it. He whined about the weather. He whined about the argos. It was non stop until he shot something. I don't mind not associating or endorsing these types.
Clearly the host is a tool and everything about that show was awful!
Old 10-06-2020, 11:05 AM

Just checked out the episode I couldn't even handle 15 minutes when that guy started complaining about how cold it was, had a few clients like that in my day thank God not too many of them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
That was my reaction as well, holy cant flinch. Host seems like a tool.
Dude, I read your comment and could tell without even looking at your location that you’re from PA. Feels good to read something from my hometown haha.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:59 PM

Default Does f&g watch

Back in my guiding days I once had a guy something like the tool from the show. First morning I rattled a book deer into him at 18 yards and he missed it. Second morning rattled another buck in the 155 class to within 40 yards for him, and he missed that one too. He then accused me of not knowing how to hunt whitetails, and that I was just wasting his time. The third morning I put him in a tree stand and he shot a 145 class buck at 30 yards. He almost missed, but managed to just clip the bottom of the bucks heart, and killed the deer. As soon as that happened, I all of a sudden became the best whitetail guide he had ever seen, and he was the best hunter in the world. The guy was a goof and it was nice to see he go. I will give him credit though, because when he was done he left me a $20 tip.....

Last edited by trigger7mm; 10-06-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old 10-07-2020, 01:15 AM

[QUOTE=tromanowski87;4243663]Dude, I read your comment and could tell without even looking at your location that you’re from PA. Feels good to read something from my hometown haha.[/QUOTE

lol your poor anyways ahhh.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=kingrat;4244044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromanowski87 View Post
Dude, I read your comment and could tell without even looking at your location that you’re from PA. Feels good to read something from my hometown haha.[/QUOTE

lol your poor anyways ahhh.
You’re loose then? Just deadly late night chat cuz.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:43 PM

Yup its confirmed your from pa. You can take the man outta pa but... I like when your in another city and you dont realize how your talking and people look at you like wtf. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:35 PM

Don’t know if F&W watch hunting shows but they could sure hand out a lot of tickets to all who are selling mounts of deer, elk, moose ,antelope and birds of prey in Alberta.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Just checked out the episode I couldn't even handle 15 minutes when that guy started complaining about how cold it was, had a few clients like that in my day thank God not too many of them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I quit watching most hunting shows when the hosts started acting like they were going to war instead of playing or doing something enjoyable.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I quit watching most hunting shows when the hosts started acting like they were going to war instead of playing or doing something enjoyable.
That is spot on and tremendously funny. Never though of it like that but it really is accurate.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:

No-one was attacking anyone until you weighed in to stir the pot.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
Caught a few minutes of a show called "Outdoor Release TV" yesterday they were moose hunting in Alberta and shot a small moose from a boat, and you could clearly hear the motor running.
Nothing bothers me more than people making money while exploiting our wildlife in an unlawful manner!

found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-W_5ovR3ZQ
look at around minute 10.

What do you think?

the regs :
have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from
a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting, or
any kind of aircraft or vehicle whether it is moving or stationary.
While I can’t comment on Alberta CO’s I can on my views as a Game Warden. The Problem with tv shows is the editing. What I mean by that is what you see on tv may not be chronologically correct or even from the same hunt. You go to ask them and they can say nope didn’t happen that way, it was just the edited product. Ask to see unedited film, they say pound sand. I doubt a judge would give you a warrant for the film based solely off of a heavily edited strip of film. Chances are you would spend a great amount of investigative time to get no where. It’s sucks when that happens especially on smaller violations. Sounds bad but with how few of us there are, a lot of the minor violations go unaddressed because your working major cases. Definitely a lot of prioritizing cases. Depending on your prosecuting attorney and some may not want to take the time to work them and plea them out or dismiss them because there’s bigger fish to fry. Not necessarily right but is the reality of the system.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:07 PM

Default Stirring the pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
No-one was attacking anyone until you weighed in to stir the pot.
Not surprised by that comment at all. I don’t want to make this personal in anyway but aren’t you the fellow that had an issue with Jim Shockey's guide stopping on a gravel bar in the Yukon for a shot of bourbon to honour a friend who passed away there? Didn’t you say he should be “taken to task” for that? That’s pretty weak and exactly the point I was trying to make. Things like that don’t help advance the sport, especially when broadcasted on social media or a message board trolled by antis. My 2 cents anyways....good luck this hunting season!
Old 10-07-2020, 10:26 PM

I had a look at the video and my thoughts are as follows:

- no clear evidence of shooting from the boat with motor running
- abundant evidence of a poor host. He lacks woodsmanship, has poor shooting form, horrible attitude and is all around a pretty disagreeable fella. His 2 year old bull is a fitting end to his hunt, amongst a couple nice 40 plus inchers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Twice now I've been in a hunting camp while there is a crew (c/w hunter) filming for their show. Both times I can tell you that the footage you see on the show of the kill isn't what went down in real life.

There's a lot of editing, splicing and re-shooting of lead up segments before it's all put together.

Can't speak for the show in question, but I do know it does happen.
This, a lot of the filler shots are likely filmed after the fact, especially of the shot I would suspect.

Whenever you see a shot taken on a hunting show there is usually footage from several different angles of the guy lining up (often including from in front of him) and the weapon going off... take a minuet to consider how many camera men the guy likely has with him at that point, and the fact that every camera he has is likely focused on the animal when the shot is actually taken.

I came to the conclusion long ago that a good deal of the footage on your average hunting show is most likely filmed after the kill, I suspect lots of it is even filmed in entirely different locations and spliced in.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:49 AM

I dunno, I’m sure some guys from the Fish and Game Association probably do watch hunting shows on TV.

It seems you’re wanting a Fish and Wildlife officer to intercede. Is that correct?

Perhaps using the Report a Poacher hotline, may steer some attention to these obvious transgressions you’re so worried about. 1-800-642-3800.

There are no absolutes