Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 03:07 PM

Default Do You Guys Worry About Lead Poisoning?

I've been shooting for close to 2 months now; about 50 rounds/week at Calgary Shooting Center. The first time I went in, the range officer warned me to wash my hands after shooting. So I figured sure. After I got home I'd always wash with soap and water before eating.

Today I took enough interest in lead poisoning to Google it. Scary **** There's guys warning you to change your clothes and wear different shoes at the range. To be careful that your range bag doesn't contact eating surfaces. To worry about tracking lead dust across your carpet and all manner of crazy stuff.

I've been shooting with the same leather jacket, clothes, and shoes that I wear everywhere. I'm young yet, and I might even reproduce. If I'm going to develop good habits for shooting then now would be the time. What do you guys think about it?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Ever chewed on a lead pencil when you were in school? Probably stuck your fingers in your mouth after too. Lead exposure has toxic effects if you get enough of it but it's pretty hard to get to a dangerous level from reloading or shooting, it's way far down on the list compared to other things that are more harmful to us that we are exposed to everyday of our lives, car exhaust in city traffic, stuff you sprayed down your shower to clean it, the crap in all the processed food we eat is far worse than the almost non existent amount of lead you may be exposed to shooting or reloading. The stuff you clean your gun with is far more hazardous than the lead you just shot through it, etc, etc. As long as your not seasoning your steak with a couple ounces of number 9 lead birdshot you'll probably be fine.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Ever chewed on a lead pencil when you were in school? Probably stuck your fingers in your mouth after too. Lead exposure has toxic effects if you get enough of it but it's pretty hard to get to a dangerous level from reloading or shooting, it's way far down on the list compared to other things that are more harmful to us that we are exposed to everyday of our lives, car exhaust in city traffic, stuff you sprayed down your shower to clean it, the crap in all the processed food we eat is far worse than the almost non existent amount of lead you may be exposed to shooting or reloading. The stuff you clean your gun with is far more hazardous than the lead you just shot through it, etc, etc. As long as your not seasoning your steak with a couple ounces of number 9 lead birdshot you'll probably be fine.
Long as I die of something besides lead
Old 03-23-2013, 04:36 PM

If your so worried, a simple blood test will separate fact from fear.
If your so worried, go see your family doctor!

I've had cause thru other medical issues to have had full blood work done, and yes they will check for various toxins, lead included, surprise surprise, nary a blip from lead. Come to think of it that's even with the large amount of wild game I consume, most of it harvested with lead core bullets!

There are no absolutes
Old 03-23-2013, 04:43 PM

I'm not that worried; I just happened to read an article by an anti-lead fanatic. I figured it couldn't be as bad as he said.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
I'm not that worried; I just happened to read an article by an anti-lead fanatic. I figured it couldn't be as bad as he said.
I have been around guns, bullets,indoor and outdoor ranges etc since about 4 years old. I get a urine test every two years for heavy metals and a crap load of other stuff etc due to my job. Nothing, nada, zip.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM

No, there are a ton of other things trying to kill me and all are ahead of lead.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 PM

Not sure if it was due to working conditions or something else but my Father worked at an indoor range for many years and he developed a condition called neuropathy where he lost feeling in his extremities....this condition can also be brought on with exposure to certain heavy metals and such, mostly by inhalation I believe.

So it COULD have contributed to his condition.

LC
Old 03-23-2013, 06:54 PM

No.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

You're gonna die.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:05 PM

Ingestion of elemental lead is nothing to worry about. Huffing the lovely gasses from the powder and primer may be a different story.

With the amount of ventilation at CSC I would not be anywhere near worried.

Hell I've played with crocidolite asbestos in the lab, as well as uranite. And im sure a few of you have experienced mercuric primers.

Theres also fun things like benzene in your soda and all that. It's best not to think about some stuff.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 PM

How about when I was a kid my brother and I were markers for the spray plane, spraying DDT mixed with diesel fuel. Makes lead look like candy.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
You're gonna die.
I like your refreshingly profound sense of optimism.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 PM

I don't think your exposure is chronic enough to worry about. Working in it every day like Lefty's dad would be chronic though.

I remember once years ago my stepdad gutted a building that was over 100 years old and had lead pipes in the walls for water supply. He brought all the lead pipe home (like about a 1/4 ton of it) and my brother and I used to play with it all the time. We used to melt it down on the barbeque in mom's pots and mold stuff. We used to hammer it out into play daggers, etc. Stepdad always said he was gonna use it someday to make sinkers and jigs but never did. Mom got us to load it all up on the half ton and she took it to the dump. (back in the old open dump days) I'll bet the dump pickers scored that day!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Do You Guys Worry About Lead Poisoning?

Worry:No
Avoiding lead exposure and ingestion: Yes

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 PM

i smoke a pack of cigs a day , 2 if im drinking so no im not worried about lead poisoning,worried about whats coming if i dont quit smoking fairly soon but i wash my hands when im done loading and shooting though.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Don't quit your day job.

To begin with.... those pencils...weren't made with Lead.

As for the whole exposure in ranges thing... as someone that has actually conducted studies of ranges and their exhaust ventilation systems and surveyed for Lead... don't worry about it.

Indoor firing ranges have been subject to a standard for that for quite some time now.

But don't lick the walls either.

The guys that really need to be concerned are the cast bullets crowd and reloaders that are careless about how they do things.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 PM

I cast bullets , handle lead, and even shoot indoors at times - with proper precautions lead ingestion of any kind is not a worry.
Cat
Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 PM

Default use D-Lead soap sold at TSE

This above.

I do a fair bit of reloading and a fair bit of handgun shooting, which puts my hands real close to contaminants.

I have only shot indoors once, at TSE-Calgary for two full days of competition. The regulars were wearing face masks. I didn't know the ventilation system couldn't (at the time) fully evacuate the high volumes of smoke/lead styphnate residue generated by multiple IPSC squads. Felt really sickened by the experience. Almost like a hangover. Never again.

TSE sells a really good liquid hand-soap, designed specifically for lead and other heavy metal contaminants. This "D-Lead" brand soap suds up easily, washes off easily, and leaves hands ready to eat lunch. About $10/bottle, but a little goes a long way. D-Lead also makes handwipes, great if there is no water at the range.

So then I don't worry: I shoot outdoors and wash my hands.
Simple.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I cast bullets , handle lead, and even shoot indoors at times - with proper precautions lead ingestion of any kind is not a worry.
Cat
The key words being "with proper precautions".

My point was... a lot of hobbiests skimp on things like safety and ventilation so they can invest in something more fun.
Even guys that know better.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
The key words being "with proper precautions".

My point was... a lot of hobbiests skimp on things like safety and ventilation so they can invest in something more fun.
Even guys that know better.
Even my hearing is still great , I get tested every year.
The techs are always amazed that I run jet boats and and have shot rifles since a very early age, never mind 40 years of industrial construction.
Proper precautions are no joke and not a hassle in my eyes ( still have both of those as well!)
Was taught right off the bat that safety is mandatory.....
Cat
Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 PM

Unless you chewed on lead painted window sills as a child you will be fine. The solvents used to clean your gun are likley more dangerous through your skin than lead inhalation or skin contact.

Alba gu brath!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Don't quit your day job.

To begin with.... those pencils...weren't made with Lead.

When I went to school it was long before the lead based paint debate. At the time most pencils were coated with lead based paint, many students ingested lots of it daily for years. Wouldn't be surprised to hear even today that pencils coming from asia and china may still be coated with lead based paint.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Do You Guys Worry About Lead Poisoning?

I don't worry about it, I have a routine I follow sub consciously now that cuts down the exposure...
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM

I scrounge lead and cast with bone marrow cancer. Believe me I took the research seriously. It is something to be aware of and as Cat says take precautions and all will be well.

On a huge cast bullet site many fellows shoot many thousands of rounds of cast handgun reloads yearly and test regularly. Rarely does anyone have any problem. Primer residue is probably the worst offender. Jacketed bullets do not concern me much. I take the effort to make sure I can't ingest lead dust and use good ventilation. My blood is regularly analyzed and I have no contaminations of any kind. The cancer may be the outcome of decades of mechanicing and farming and oilfield chemicals and childish attitudes toward industrial safety.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Was taught right Cat
That you were.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 PM

Default Old Guy Mistakes

Us older guys make a lot of mistakes. Like tasting antifreeze to tell if its rich enough. Siphoning gas with our mouths and playing with lead. I used to let my daughter play with the brass as it swam around in the medium of my brass vibrator. I never gave it a second thought. I'm partial to Nosler Partitions. They're completely jacked with nylon tip. Where's the lead contamination? It was yrs before I learned that primers contained lead and spent primers coated brass with fine lead residue. Brass cleaning has moved to the shed.