Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 12:44 AM
AO Sponsor

Default No Value Pelts... Doin it right!!!

The best thing you can do to a No Value pelt!

No value pelts have absolutely no commercial value, occasionally they get shoved down somebody’ throat or up somebody’s rear, and you gain a couple dollars, but the most humane thing you can do with a pelt that has ZERO value, is burn it!

This is not to say that all lice or mange coyotes need to be thrown away, but the absolute worst do. The coyote depicted in the fire was a very heavily matted lice coyote, the whole pelt covered in fur that was completely matted with about a 1/2” thick of fur matts under the fur... worthless.

Pelts that are 100% shed of guard hair or over 75% affected by lice, or completely rubbed... throw the away.

Lots of the lice coyotes however do have a value, of which a percentage even have a significant percentage of high quality fur cover unaffected by the lice, they were very nice quality coyotes and now have a portion of the fur wrecked

Damage 1 - 25% affected, 75% still useable
Damage 2 - up to 50% affected 50% still useable
Damage 3 - up to 75% affected, 25% still useable

IV- beyond 75% affected/ruined - No commercial value

The drawback of skinning lice coyotes is that they smell repulsive, your fur buyer may be affected negatively by the sickly stench. In this event, it may be more profitable to have burned the lice,and fur buyer stays in a good mood

Happy furbuyers put more money in your pocket!

Happy Furbuyer
Happy wife $$$
Happy life!!!
Old 04-01-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

The best thing you can do to a No Value pelt!

No value pelts have absolutely no commercial value, occasionally they get shoved down somebody’ throat or up somebody’s rear, and you gain a couple dollars, but the most humane thing you can do with a pelt that has ZERO value, is burn it!

This is not to say that all lice or mange coyotes need to be thrown away, but the absolute worst do. The coyote depicted in the fire was a very heavily matted lice coyote, the whole pelt covered in fur that was completely matted with about a 1/2” thick of fur matts under the fur... worthless.

Pelts that are 100% shed of guard hair or over 75% affected by lice, or completely rubbed... throw the away.

Lots of the lice coyotes however do have a value, of which a percentage even have a significant percentage of high quality fur cover unaffected by the lice, they were very nice quality coyotes and now have a portion of the fur wrecked

Damage 1 - 25% affected, 75% still useable
Damage 2 - up to 50% affected 50% still useable
Damage 3 - up to 75% affected, 25% still useable

IV- beyond 75% affected/ruined - No commercial value

The drawback of skinning lice coyotes is that they smell repulsive, your fur buyer may be affected negatively by the sickly stench. In this event, it may be more profitable to have burned the lice,and fur buyer stays in a good mood

Happy furbuyers put more money in your pocket!

Happy Furbuyer
Happy wife $$$
Happy life!!!
Mine all go to the dump
Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 PM
AO Sponsor

I thot you sold all yers???
Old 04-01-2020, 09:29 PM

I bet that smells nice.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:03 AM
Banned

The fur burns pretty good with a little chainsaw gas while it’s still on the coyote. Just sayin.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:49 AM
Banned

Get out the marshmallows...
Old 04-02-2020, 09:04 AM

I sneak into my Brothers setups and hang them in his snares! LOL
Old 04-02-2020, 09:24 AM

Chinese restaurants. Lol
Old 04-02-2020, 10:03 PM
AO Sponsor

Them lice kiyutes sure smell better when they are on fire than when they are not!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:14 PM

Might sound weird but I am just going on what I learned back in the day.

Back when I was young in the 60's an 80 year old craftsman I knew would soak coyote, wolf and skunk skins in wood ash water to remove the hair. Then he would use those raw skins for hand drum skins. He swore that they made the best drum skins. And he said skunk skins were the most durable skins. The oldtimer's drums sounded great.

So maybe don't burn the hides but make some rawhide with the pelts. The raw hides can be cut into strips and braided into functional lines or used for binding material too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-18-2020, 05:03 PM

Just curious on this. I am not a trapper but have shot Wolves and Coyotes with lousy pelts.

Regs say no fur bearing pelt may be wasted or destroyed.

So what should one do?
Old 04-18-2020, 11:29 PM
AO Sponsor

Read the regs some more...
Old 04-18-2020, 11:34 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Might sound weird but I am just going on what I learned back in the day.

Back when I was young in the 60's an 80 year old craftsman I knew would soak coyote, wolf and skunk skins in wood ash water to remove the hair. Then he would use those raw skins for hand drum skins. He swore that they made the best drum skins. And he said skunk skins were the most durable skins. The oldtimer's drums sounded great.

So maybe don't burn the hides but make some rawhide with the pelts. The raw hides can be cut into strips and braided into functional lines or used for binding material too.
Guy as in good friend and worlds best canine trapper used to sell a bunch of yucky flat ugly American coyotes for leather.

But lice and mange kiyutes gots thick skins often and might wreck the drum tones and make for horrible music, worse than they stink!

Told young feller today to take thick matted fricking stinking yucky filth coyote home...

He even suggested burning the skin... without any encouragement... go figure!
Old 04-18-2020, 11:45 PM
AO Sponsor

Don’t get me wrong, some lice kiyutes good, skin the ones that are 3/4 or half coyotes if you can stomach the price cut... and the stink, we buy them if they got a nice half to them.

Mind you now with the coming depression skin everything... but please sell yucky filthy stinking fricking yuck kiyutes to the other buyers, or send them to auction and spread the joy all over the continent, even the world when they take a boat ride... and please don’t sell them to poor old Jimmy! For unspoken obvious reasons. Please take them to Ted or my goodest bestest buddy Bruce, I think he really really likes those kind.

Last edited by Marty S; 04-19-2020 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:22 PM

So you are saying they stink Marty?

Just teasing ...... interesting thread - just reading along.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:30 PM
AO Sponsor

Hmmmmmmm............

And to think the poor lad that owned it believed he could get money for it!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Another poor young delusional fellow believes these two coyotes may have a value to them. His buddies dropped his 9 coyotes off or something for him, but he/they failed to disclose to the receiving party that there were two WET coyotes in the box, lined beautifully with black garbage bags to ensure package could surely not breath whatsoever, causing the whole package to dampen a little.

I did dry his coyotes for him, even the two rotten wet things, bought the saleable stuff but the last two I should have thrown them outside for the flies to eat, but i did not want to have to rake them up after, and smell them all over!

So two rotten dried out kiyutes for the little feller in the event he is able to ever get a ride to my place.

Beware Darcy!!!! Oh ACCLAIMED ONE!!!
Old 04-30-2020, 09:00 PM
AO Sponsor

They are now fixed in the likely event that they show up here again. Id much rather they be Darcy’s problem!
😆

Old 05-03-2020, 08:14 AM

I heard tan coloured long coyote fur can make great salt water bonefish flies.

The type of fur around winter coat hoods.

Just reading the thread and wondering if anyone is cutting squares, curing and selling to fly tying stores?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-04-2020, 09:15 AM
AO Sponsor

I did with a small local sports shop 25 years ago plus, was a few hundred dollars a year, I’m sure the big outlets have their contacts/suppliers in order. Niche market for the odd guy.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:47 PM

Tried with both fox and coyote fur. The results didn’t make it worth the effort.