Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 11:18 PM

I am going to be ordering some tooth of the arrow 125 gr. Heads very soon. Should I stick to the 1" heads or go with the 1 3/16th heads? I will be going after elk and mule deer with them mostly.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I am going to be ordering some tooth of the arrow 125 gr. Heads very soon. Should I stick to the 1" heads or go with the 1 3/16th heads? I will be going after elk and mule deer with them mostly.
I am using 1" 125's. I think they will be more than adequate since they are a 4 blade. I have used fixed blade 4 blade muzzy before and have taken several elk and moose with great effectiveness. They were 1" broadheads.

Jmo

Norm
Old 06-23-2018, 08:57 AM

Hey Lefty, got a question for you.

I'm a huge fan of the Reapers as well. They've always worked very well for me for deer. Going after elk this year. Would you recommend sticking with the Reapers for elk or do you shoot fixed for them? Like the giant that you posted last season strung up on that front end loader, did you shoot that with a Reaper or a fixed?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This one drew plenty of blood

So did this one...

LC

I'm a huge fan of the Reapers as well. They've always worked very well for me for deer. Going after elk this year. Would you recommend sticking with the Reapers for elk or do you shoot fixed for them? Like the giant that you posted last season strung up on that front end loader/tractor, did you shoot that with a Reaper or a fixed?
Old 06-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodeemus1 View Post

I'm a huge fan of the Reapers as well. They've always worked very well for me for deer. Going after elk this year. Would you recommend sticking with the Reapers for elk or do you shoot fixed for them? Like the giant that you posted last season strung up on that front end loader, did you shoot that with a Reaper or a fixed?
I used an original mechanical Razor Tip 100gr 1-3/8”. I have never had good luck tuning a fixed blade until recently.

Stay away from big bone and always pay attention to the animals body position and angles.

I used to shoot muzzy 3 and 4 blade fixed. When I started Shooting “speed” bows I had a tough time tuning broadheads...so I went mechanical and Grim Reaper were recommended by a couple guys I trust. I have used those for about 7-8 years now and not had an issue other than once taking a shot off my knees in standing wheat. The head caught a couple wheat tips and it pulled the arrow down. Animal was recovered after a follow up, see mule deer above . IF you can get a fixed head to fly true and tune it is a better choice IMHO than a mechanical...the only down fall could be size of wound channel. It’s a balance however...a 4 blade fixed should penetrate further than a three blade mechanical all else equal. Also a four blade low profile should leave a big enough wound channel to create a large hole for solid bleed out and visible blood trails. I refuse to use a 2 blade mechanical head, I want a hole not a slit in the animals I shoot.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-26-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I used an original mechanical Razor Tip 100gr 1-3/8”. I have never had good luck tuning a fixed blade until recently.

Stay away from big bone and always pay attention to the animals body position and angles.

I used to shoot muzzy 3 and 4 blade fixed. When I started Shooting “speed” bows I had a tough time tuning broadheads...so I went mechanical and Grim Reaper were recommended by a couple guys I trust. I have used those for about 7-8 years now and not had an issue other than once taking a shot off my knees in standing wheat. The head caught a couple wheat tips and it pulled the arrow down. Animal was recovered after a follow up, see mule deer above . IF you can get a fixed head to fly true and tune it is a better choice IMHO than a mechanical...the only down fall could be size of wound channel. It’s a balance however...a 4 blade fixed should penetrate further than a three blade mechanical all else equal. Also a four blade low profile should leave a big enough wound channel to create a large hole for solid bleed out and visible blood trails. I refuse to use a 2 blade mechanical head, I want a hole not a slit in the animals I shoot.

LC
Thanks. Ya I've been using the same Razor Tips 1 3/8" for the last few years. They have been working great. I have been able to get Muzzy MX-3's to tune good out of my setup but I still like the bigger cutting diameter of the Reapers. Think I'll stick to the Razor Tips for our elk hunt this year. Thanks for the tips!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:29 PM

Anyone have any any experience with the Grim Reaper Razorcut? I picked up a couple packs based after seeing Lefty's success and the price was too good to pass up...
Old 06-28-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
Anyone have any any experience with the Grim Reaper Razorcut? I picked up a couple packs based after seeing Lefty's success and the price was too good to pass up...
I haven’t used the Razor Cut myself, but if you put it in the proper place I have no doubt they will leave a big hole and a good blood trail.

LC
Old 06-29-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
I've got them (125 gr) and along with my 125 Steelheads, that's all that reside in my quiver. The Razorcuts do their job. Shot one into an offside front should socket of a heavy Mule Buck - only had to replace one blade. Went through the next deer like hot knife through butter.

It'll do the trick for sure if you do your part...

J.