Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 AM

Default New Gun Safe

Just looking for some feedback on what you guys recommend for a safe. Guns are older so nothing fancy just to keep my little guys fingers off them till hes old enough. All are long guns.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:27 AM

First post...so first off, Welcome to AO forum, you have come to the right place..
You can try places like Canadian tire, a Peavy Mart, wholesale sports, Cabellas...just to name a few. Also remember to have trigger locks on and ammunition stored separately locked up as well...with little ones around you can't shortcut anything when it comes to firearms no matter how long they are..
Others here may have some better ideas than me, but I wanted to welcome you here and thought I would give you some info at least...Your Welcome!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 02-24-2016, 08:46 AM

Costco has decent safes (first alert) for cheaper than anywhere else. I bought one there, no regrets. Thinking of buying another one for extra space. Way cheaper than a single safe with double the capacity.

This is the exact model: http://www.firstalert.com/index.php?...utive-gun-safe

Its about as full as it can get with 5 shotguns, 2 scoped rifles, a scoped 22, 2 scoped tactical black things with fore grip handles, and an sks with a red dot on it.

Last edited by Scotty454; 02-24-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Gone Fishing

I got mine at Costco, its a heavy bugger.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Banned

X3 but I use my first alert for ammo. Couldn't be happier with it and it has a fairly decent fire rating. The only down fall for me is there is no easy way to discreetly get the safe out of Costco, if that's a concern.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:39 AM

I basically have three thoughts on the matter. Since you asked, I'll provide them.

1. If you're simply looking for something which will keep small children's hands off your firearms, its tough to beat the Stack-On locker at Canadian Tire.

Its steel, has a three point locking system, shelf, has holes for bolting it down if so desired, should meet all your basic needs and regularly goes on sale for $99.00.
Pros: Cheap, light, good security from children.
Cons: There are alot, light, hinge is on the outside, small, basically won't keep anyone older than 14 out if they really want in.

2. If you want something a bit more secure, has somewhat of a fire rating, has more capacity, and a nice aesthetic finish, I would definitely go with the safe from Costco, believe Peavey Mart has them as well, but not unit they stock on the floor for $450.00 or whatever it is. It used to be branded as a Winchester, it may now be Granite. Anyways, its this safe:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=523577 That is obviously American pricing, and it may have changed since, but you used to be able to get them for $750.00.
Pros: Relatively affordable, nice interior and exterior finish, has a fire rating, better security and increased capacity vs the Stack On.
Cons: Won't keep an adult out who wants in.

3. I would never spend more on a Residential Security Container (RSC) than for the Winchester above, ever. Most lockers advertised as safes are actually RSC. Check the label on the door. Underwriters Laboratory's performance requirements for a RSC state that the locker must "successfully withstand 5 minutes of consistent prying, drilling, punching, hammering and tampering attacks by the UL technicians.". I'm not going to spend $1,500.00 on a bigger and "better" "safe" if it has the same UL rating as the Winchester. If I wanted more than the Winchester has to offer, I'd look into buying an actual safe, something like a Graffunder.
Pros: Excellent interior and exterior finish, excellent fire rating, excellent security.
Cons: Expensive.

Good luck on your purchase.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:56 AM

To me there are two thoughts on safes
First thought is do you want to protect your firearms, from thief, fire etc. If that is the case get a more reputable model from liberty etc.
Second thought is it the concept of safety that you what where you see it locked up and it gives you a piece of mind that you have been vigilent in secure your firearms then get a stack on type safe as it will give the visual appearance that all is safely stored.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
First post...so first off, Welcome to AO forum, you have come to the right place..
You can try places like Canadian tire, a Peavy Mart, wholesale sports, Cabellas...just to name a few. Also remember to have trigger locks on and ammunition stored separately locked up as well...with little ones around you can't shortcut anything when it comes to firearms no matter how long they are..
Others here may have some better ideas than me, but I wanted to welcome you here and thought I would give you some info at least...Your Welcome!
Zip
In my gun course the instructor told us in Canada we are allowed to store ammo with the guns, Yankies have to store it separately.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:06 AM
Banned

If I had looked into it years ago when I bought my current commercial safe I think I would have just purchased a couple from Costco. If I ever sell my house the new owner gets a pretty good safe with it, seeing as how it's built into the house now. They will pay for it in the cost of the house coarse
Old 02-24-2016, 11:13 AM

Einstein's theory of advertising states that you can never get as many guns in the safe as what the manufacturer claims. I have found this theory to be true.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Banned

I only have 2 comments...

1) Absolutely NEVER buy a safe with an electronic keypad... Tumbler only.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u3p5KUNfDG0

2) I don't own a safe, but if I did I'd make damn sure it was a good one. Graffunder !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

YMMV

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 02-24-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I only have 2 comments...

1) Absolutely NEVER buy a safe with an electronic keypad... Tumbler only.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u3p5KUNfDG0

2) I don't own a safe, but if I did I'd make damn sure it was a good one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

YMMV
This can't be replicated with the first alert from Costco, if anything I would recommend relocating the reset button to a different location. I have a large neodymium super magnet and couldn't crack it even with the interior panel removed trying to manipulate from the inside. First alert from Costco is a good buy
Old 02-24-2016, 11:37 AM

Agree !!! No digital, took me twice to learn.. Had a good welding buddy if know what I mean.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Gone Fishing

http://www.costco.ca/Honeywell-Fire-...100220300.html

This is what I have, and I have never used the key pad part of the safe. I just use the key and turn the wheel so the magnet trick wont work to open it.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Rumtan;3152936]http://www.costco.ca/Honeywell-Fire-...100220300.html

This is what I have, and I have never used the key pad part of the safe. I just use the key and turn the wheel so the magnet trick wont work to open it.[/QUOTE

Nice !

Last edited by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^; 02-24-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I would look at the internals better to verify that, the actuator is still the weak link and works the same using key or key pad. If you eliminate the actuator somehow and could still lock it you'd be safe. A reversed magnet with resisting side applied to the inner portion of the door would be enough to block even the strongest of magnets. Drill and tap a bracket to cradle the magnet would be sufficient. All of which is a waste of time for a career criminal
Im 1/2 Scottish so I never put any batteries in it in the first place.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:18 PM

I bought a stack on to be legal and easy. It's a sketchy system but it works. Keeps the kids out. Screw it to the wall though.

X2 with the key pad. My buddy recently had to pay through the nose to have his safe cracked and the pad replaced.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Banned

For those of you who ever have issues with your first alert from Costco PM me I'm sure can help out. I recently deactivated the sound with good results and found some other useful tips along the way.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
Im 1/2 Scottish so I never put any batteries in it in the first place.
Having battery's in it or not is not the issue with most pin pad safes. Until I relocated my reset button just a simple hack saw blade is all that was required to reset the pin. The ammo I keep inside of my small safe is worth more than my guns so at least there's a ten minute time frame instead of a couple minutes. Having two RCMP members living on my street with auto dial directed by my security company is a bonus.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Banned

Has anyone ever heard of cheaper quality safes damaging the finish on some guns? I also need a new safe and don't want this problem.. apparently something to do with chemicals in the insulation.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of cheaper quality safes damaging the finish on some guns? I also need a new safe and don't want this problem.. apparently something to do with chemicals in the insulation.
If you put the safe in the basement of some houses the guns may go rusty. Has to do with the moisture content of the basement. Some people keep a light in their safe in the basement to get rid of moisture problems. I know in my place I left a steel bar in the basement for a few years and the bar went rusty. I now keep my guns upstairs.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
X3 but I use my first alert for ammo. Couldn't be happier with it and it has a fairly decent fire rating. The only down fall for me is there is no easy way to discreetly get the safe out of Costco, if that's a concern.
Order it online and have it delivered.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:25 PM

I am looking at the Liberty Pro Vault 18 (Cabelas).

Hoping it goes on sale soon.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/39223/...ault-gun-safes

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -