Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 08:03 AM

Insist on 4 wire.
A 3 wire fence is lame.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:08 AM

Consider as well letting her know you will walk away, does not mean you cannot do it next summer. Set your price at what you can "afford", let her know that you cannot absorb the risk of getting stuck with the entire cost and will revisit next year. She may want the fence just as much as you do.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:14 AM

Shipping pallets are free all over the place. Look up photos of Mexican & Brazilian ghettoes for design inspiration. Note how cool & environmentally friendly it is because it’s re-using materials and build it tight to your side of the property line. No pink paint, just a wall of pallets stacked two high.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:02 AM

If you do come to a agreement with your neighbor, ensure your contractor quote is for fence boards finished on both sides, otherwise your in for more headache on who gets the good side. Had this in BC was at work when came home fence completed during the day with the rough side facing me.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Thanks

For all of you guys. I was thinking last night, OK i will put the fence on my side and paint it multiple weird colors, Red/Yellow/Pink/Orange followed by Red/Yellow/Pink/Orange . Now my question is

1. Can she repaint it back to other color even though fence is in my property?

2. If i build the fence totally in my property, am sure she is going to build the third side(facing the alley) and she will join with my corner posts (6X6)...can she touch my fence which is within my property line?

3. If i do this totally inside my property, first of all should i let her know about this? if not how can i finish the fence without going in her side?

Thanks,
OS
Old 08-17-2018, 10:10 AM

ask the municipality in writing not here we are not municipal lawyers duh

Cement Bench
Old 08-17-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnisap View Post
For all of you guys. I was thinking last night, OK i will put the fence on my side and paint it multiple weird colors, Red/Yellow/Pink/Orange followed by Red/Yellow/Pink/Orange . Now my question is

2. If i build the fence totally in my property, am sure she is going to build the third side(facing the alley) and she will join with my corner posts (6X6)...can she touch my fence which is within my property line?

3. If i do this totally inside my property, first of all should i let her know about this? if not how can i finish the fence without going in her side?

Thanks,
OS
no
no
no leave room to walk/mow

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-17-2018, 10:19 AM

Default Thanks Cement

Are you my neighboring lady under this screen name.. this is exactly how she talks. For every sentence i talk, she talks contradictory..

Last edited by Dijon1975; 08-17-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 08-17-2018, 10:40 AM

Saw these guys mentioned in today's Herald. Maybe give them a call.
http://www.communitymediation.ca/

At the cost of a city lot, my last course of action would be to build the fence on my side. Do you know the answer to the question in post 23?

Possible options.
1) You pay the whole shot and build the fence on the property line. Additional cost to you at 1/2 of $32 per foot = $800 to $1000.

2) Depending on the quality of her brother's work, hire him as the contractor and build the fence on the property line. Tell you neighbor that your budget is equal to 1/2 of your contractor's costs. She can pay the 'brother premium'.

3) Split the cost of having her brother as the contractor and build the fence on the property line. This would be cheaper than you paying the entire cost with your contractor.

IMO, these options allow you to live in peace with your neighbor. I would pick one of these. If this neighbour ever needed their walk shovelled, lawn mowed, etc, I would decline due to my bad back.

Build an adversarial fence if you choose, but know that you will never have a good relationship with this neighbour.

And again, I would never give up an inch, let alone a foot of my property.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:42 AM

U can make this into a huge deal and make it miserable and you live next to her for how many more years? If it were me i would build my fence i want to at the price you got. For the headache get her relative to build the shared fence only at higher price. Being you only pay half cost is probably negligible and u get your fence done. There are times to dig in. Don’t think this is one of them. Life is too short.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:46 AM

Default Thanks Bigsky

If a person is willing to cooperate we can talk. She do not want to cooperate..basically her brohter is charging double ($43-45) so she dont have to pay....Whatever i ask she talks contradactiory and i dont feel is right. I am leaning more towards pay and build on my side and different colors on her side.

----------------------
2) Depending on the quality of her brother's work, hire him as the contractor and build the fence on the property line. Tell you neighbor that your budget is equal to 1/2 of your contractor's costs. She can pay the 'brother premium'.
----------------------

I clearly told her i can pay the market rate and she can pay her brother premium...she refused.

OS

Last edited by Dijon1975; 08-17-2018 at 10:49 AM. Reason: missing info
Old 08-17-2018, 10:54 AM

If my lot was 1 foot wider, I could fit my utility trailer beside the fence.

This thread has given me a great idea.
When our shared fence needs to be replaced, I'll get difficult with the neighbour.
When he says he is going to build the fence on his own property, with his own money and paint my side pink, I'll tell him to go for it.

When the fence is done, I park my trailer on my new parking area.
Then I repaint the fence to a more appropriate colour. When he objects, I'll tell him to pound sand.
But first, I'll practise saying "Get off my lawn", evoking Clint Eastwood's character in Gran Torino.

What is the answer to the question in Post 23?
Old 08-17-2018, 11:03 AM

Default Thanks

I have no idea what is Adverse possesion?

OS
Old 08-17-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what is Adverse possesion?

OS
IIRC from the real estate law class I took, adverse possession in Alberta is the occupied use of another’s parcel of property for 10 years with the owner’s knowledge of you being there. So in this case, if you build your fence 1’ inwards on your property and your neighbour begins using that 1’ of your property on their side of the fence for a garden/whatever for 10 years, they may have a case for adverse possession of that stretch of property.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Not even sure if it’s possible to take a 1’x40’ strip of your neighbour’s property even like that.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:34 AM

If you are at all concerned about resale, building a fence not on the property line would be a huge red flag to me as a buyer. Painting the fence all crazy colors as well is a pretty bold move and I would be reading the bylaws inside out to ensure that this cannot come back to bite you. If your side is not crazy colors as well you are going to look like the aggressor and might need to consider more than just fence bylaws.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
IIRC from the real estate law class I took, adverse possession in Alberta is the occupied use of another’s parcel of property for 10 years with the owner’s knowledge of you being there. So in this case, if you build your fence 1’ inwards on your property and your neighbour begins using that 1’ of your property on their side of the fence for a garden/whatever for 10 years, they may have a case for adverse possession of that stretch of property.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Not even sure if it’s possible to take a 1’x40’ strip of your neighbour’s property even like that.
There was a huge fight here not long ago just like that. A neighbor though his land included a massive area and tended it for close to 20 years. When the house next door sold it was surveyed and he found out he had 1/3rd of the land he thought. The screaming was epic but he lost.

It's not all the time cut and dried.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-17-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Saw these guys mentioned in today's Herald. Maybe give them a call.
http://www.communitymediation.ca/

At the cost of a city lot, my last course of action would be to build the fence on my side. Do you know the answer to the question in post 23?

Possible options.
1) You pay the whole shot and build the fence on the property line. Additional cost to you at 1/2 of $32 per foot = $800 to $1000.

3) Split the cost of having her brother as the contractor and build the fence on the property line. This would be cheaper than you paying the entire cost with your contractor.

IMO, these options allow you to live in peace with your neighbor. I would pick one of these. If this neighbour ever needed their walk shovelled, lawn mowed, etc, I would decline due to my bad back.

Build an adversarial fence if you choose, but know that you will never have a good relationship with this neighbour.

And again, I would never give up an inch, let alone a foot of my property.
Excellent advice

#3 appears to be by far the best option providing her brothers work is satisfactory to you. Paying 22 or 23 bucks for your half, compared to the 32 a foot if you go it alone on a 40 ft fence is a considerable saving. As well she will be more inclined to stain/paint her side saving you additional labor and cost.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:31 PM

Just in the midst of building the fence in the front yard. I did find out the City owns 2.28m of the front yard, likely a utility right of way as I have no sidewalk out front. And the front yard fence can only be 4ft high , irregardless of grade. I am doing it myself. I am using 4x4 treated posts, deckboards, may have 1500.00 into it, for about 90ft of fence, I had to buy a post hole shovel, 12 4x4's and 40 or so 8ft treated boards, and I will build the gate out of leftovers.. I started with some sheet plastic lattice as an experiment on 3 board build on one side, don't much like that, so, I'll take off the lattice and build it as a 5 board. That is tight enough to keep the hound in and easy to build. I set it up that it is inside the property line by about 1/2" on the face of the boards. I may put some brick on the edge to make it less work to trim on the inside.
The back yard has a 6ft fence both sides, all treated wood. I wouldn't have bothered with the front one, except I have a new neighbour that doesn't like the dog anymore. So be it, that's life. Digging the holes wasn't bad at all, only had 3 with bigger , obstinate rocks in them. Although I did find out I am old, fat and out of shape, and the heat wave didn't help. Just taking my time at it, it is up now, have to trim the posts and put in the other two boards on each section still.
And the new neighbor had to go buy their own lawnmower and trimmer now. Never even offered to help. So, they can pound salt for whatever help they need in the future, which I provided in the past.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Banned

Not to put too fine a point on it, but 30' of my fence is my garage wall; the eave hangs over my neighbors yard by 2'. The remaining 100' is about 3' tall and has a gate in it to allow passage between the two yards. The new owner put a couple of screws in it to prevent his little guy from wandering onto my driveway but he's a nimble fellow and can hop over it with ease. The third portion of fencing is along another alley, a standard 5' board fence left to age in the sun.

The back fence is an 8' wall due to the proximity to what used to be the beer parlour. A properly made (friendly) fence has the good side facing the house that didn't pay to put it up, particularly with a 6' fence. You don't want your unlikable fellow citizen to have a perch on which he can stand to watch you.

Free (and therefore worthless advice)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
U can make this into a huge deal and make it miserable and you live next to her for how many more years? If it were me i would build my fence i want to at the price you got. For the headache get her relative to build the shared fence only at higher price. Being you only pay half cost is probably negligible and u get your fence done. There are times to dig in. Don’t think this is one of them. Life is too short.
^^^^THIS^^^^
I had an issue 20 years ago with a neighbor similar to this...as in I made a big deal over something that really wasn't.
We get along fine now...but for two years I put up with having by-law called when a vehicle of mine was sticking a foot into the alleyway (lots of room for even a F350 to easily get through)...or when we had a backyard party that went til 11:30...and numerous other incidents.
As Pixel Shooter says...this doesn't sound like an issue big enough to warrant a war over.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:36 PM

The last time I checked with bylaw on this topic, they confirmed they allow for some +/- deviation off the property line.

I don't see any reason to build the fence on your side and give up any square footage to your neighbor.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:16 PM

Default Thanks

But if i build the fence in the property line she is going to use her side...how can i go on the other side?
Old 08-17-2018, 02:28 PM

I share a fence with my neighbour. Who’s
responsible for it?

Fences on residential property are the responsibility
of the property owner. If the fence is located within
your property boundaries, you are responsible. Any
cost for construction and/or maintenance of the
fence is a private issue between neighbours.

https://calgaryarea.com/content/arti...ary_fences.pdf
Old 08-17-2018, 02:48 PM

I do not what your rules are, but in this city your neighbor is obligated to a chain link fence and they MUST pay half of what a chain link fence is worth, PERIOD, if you build a fence that is six feet high and made of gold, they are obligated to half of a chain link fence. Check this out in your area and check thoughly, because it can be hidden. They just added to her taxes and pay you back.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Why not get the contractor to write up a contract for both of you with half the cost going to each of you. Let him deal with her and place a lien on her home if she doesn't pay the bill. If she refuses to sign the contract then you know that she's just dicking around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This ^^^^. Even though both neighbors were great, and I chose the contractor, I still did this.
Lien is no good if she is not selling and it has to be renewed, he would have to sue. With you knowing she probably will not pay, why put the contractor on the hook??
WDF
Old 08-17-2018, 06:30 PM

Why not tell her that she can pay her brother to build on her side and she can pay him.
When we built ours my neighbor was not much help , didn’t pay and then asked for the receipt so he could get that home improvement rebate they had when harper was still in. I told him he could go find his hat and what to do with it when he found it .
Old 08-17-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
Lien is no good if she is not selling and it has to be renewed, he would have to sue. With you knowing she probably will not pay, why put the contractor on the hook??
WDF
Also you can't just throw a lien on property. Lol

Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Round up

Water

10 ice cube trays

Mix well

Toss 2 trays every evening

Refill

Repeat

Like this one
Old 08-18-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

OS

Personally I wouldn’t give up a foot of my own property, unless you have a huge back yard. All your doing is giving her another foot of back yard space for her to use. And basically a free fence. All she has to do is fence in the other sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2018, 07:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

First world issues.....peoplekind....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Tags
fence