Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 11:10 AM

Default Tracks for side by side

Wondering if anyone had tracks for the machines for snow and how do you like them and have much problems. What is a good model to get for a machine.
Thx
Old 11-19-2018, 12:00 PM

I've got Apache 360 tracks on my Can-Am Commander 1000.
They work really well.
I had to buy the heavier duty tie rod and bolt kit from Super ATV in the USA (as was suggested by a local dealer because they didn't sell them).
Had to drill out a bit to make them fit but wasn't hard to do.
The tracks work awesome in the snow but sure make a fine powdery mess if you don't have any doors or rear windows.
You become a big abominable snow monster in little time .

As was mentioned by the same dealer...these machines weren't engineered for the heavy torsion exerted by the weight and width of tracks.

So with that in mind, the tracks are fun, but keep care of abrupt obstacles (logs, rocks) that you could normally travel over relative worry free with tires....that same abrupt impact or adjustment on a track = much more direct shearing strain on the entire linkage so any weak point will break.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:06 PM

I have Camoplast Tracks on a Polaris 900 for 3 years now. Never a Problem.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:22 PM

You will wish you didn't. Gas mileage in half. Braked downs when you don't need it. Great on groomed trails. Not so much when exploring. If all you will be traveling is flat Alberta fields then go for it. But if you happen to venture off road or off flat fields then expect breakdowns. Do your research/reviews. It will pay big time.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 PM

When the Snow is deep I use the Tracked Polaris, it has a Cab and a Heater. My Second Polaris has Wheels I use this one 8 months of the year, no cab no heater. The tracked vehicle allows me to go where I have not in the past because of deep snow. I have not had a break down on any of my side by sides. When spending $40 000 on a side by side gas should not be a consideration. Without the Tracks in the Winter I would just not be able to access the land I own. If you can afford Tracks go for it!
Old 11-19-2018, 06:58 PM

Camso UTV 4S1 are the best out there. Depending what you want to do, they work well. But often not as good as a dedicated unit ie Argo, sled, tire rig
I run them year round and put many many hrs on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2018, 07:18 PM

Camo Plast all season, 3Rd season with nill for issues.

The trick is to tap it kool since things "could" be trouble-sum if the operator gets rammy.

Pack a small set of snow shows as back-up.

Our Nordegg group of friends have put on alot of winter miles,,, I'm closing in on the 10.000 k mark of tracks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RZuzTSWZAfgxE5ZC8

Lots of Alberta and about 1/2 of BC with this rig,,, they work best on packed snowmobile trails so long as the hills aren't to steep,,, I darn near got into a pickel in Catter Creek, Silent Pass, Key Stone, Crow Foot, Hunters Valley, Mackenzie, Chetwin, Pembeton, and 27 wild cat areas...

Tracks won't go where sleds will go,,, but they are a close 20% of. Lower valleys where the cats run is gooder.

Alway head to the highest Cougar population areas of good times.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cbzAZrB8QLXkBtAg6

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 11-19-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:05 AM

Should add :

Weigth is a consideration when tracking up, and there are a few options in that category.
All season tracks,,, or the winter only tracks.

If I was going to support more than 1000 to 1100 lbs plus,,, I'd be looking at the winter set since the unit will have more flotation,,, larger foot print in the snow.

The all season tracks on my Onda 420 work a bit better then the Green Cat unit,,, a 1/3 lighter as it stays on top of the crust instead of braking threw,,, of course there are advantages and disadvantage to each.

Next is icey hills and frozen River shoots, I have 4 lite weight custom track chains along with escape planks,,, lots of rigging, chain saws. Best to be prepared if things go south.

Lots of pre season scouting / terrain prep before the snow flys,,, that way your good to go,,, we look after our area as our friends take care of the BC stuff,,, downed trees are the most challenging,,, icy shoots,,, cliff edges,,, and dropping into lower bowls,,, just like a sled,,, always go up,,, never think down. LOL.

We tried SxS for 2 years, they have advantages,,, the quads also,,, +'s and -'s on both units,,, busting through the top layer crust sucks goats milk,,, lots of work getting out of that pickle. Ha.

Don't do this is the sled areas in early season,,, some times we're talking 4' to 20+++ feet and deeper up there, or in the Lower valleys.

We've been in valleys of 100 +++ feet deep,,, it would be late summer time to get the unit if you go down.

Where UTV tracks shine,,, semi flat grounds, 2' to 4' ish feet of snow, places where sleds have been, and sheltered treed-in areas of bush trails,,, along with farm lands,,, we use ours everday on the farm. Frugal on costs since our sled days are gone.

Why own a $20 G sled when our tracks benefit our units to be used all season long,,, big savings for farm operations "so long as we tap it kool."

We're in North Alberta testing out a few different set-ups out,,, no plans on trying them out in the heated bogs. Ha... Real easy getting around up here this year since the snow pack is 10" to 16" deep in most spots,,, the trails will remain good all season long if we keep packing them down,,, not so much for other areas when the 4' to 6' drifts blow in,,, the snowmobiles will be running by that time as they pack down those trials.

I'm closing in on year 4 coming up, my friend is into year 5 going on 6,,, about 12 units tested so far,,, the endless learning curves of good times.

Cross threaded and stuck adds to the adventures,,, its all about being late, lost, and lighting lots of bon-fires while enjoying the great out doors.

Ain't no time for TV when there's lots of things to do in the wilds.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TvjsACCDEewHidxSA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Roba8FYKtyGZnNxJ6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TsLncvr3ALHbkpef9

Kimbasket Lk Region rocks,,, a world of endless in all of BC,,, Ha.