Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 02:07 PM

Default Staying Positive

Well, wmu 208 is killing me. Every buck in archery season moved to Manitoba. Tough sledding out there. Couple of cool bucks to date but overall no shooters. I go out, hunt a full day hard then quit, say to heck with it. Then sit on couch 5 mins and cant wait to get back. Beautiful country and theres still hope.
The highs and lows eh? I am allergic to big bucks anyways. Hahaha. Good luck everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0AF8D132-369C-4ED8-83E4-6862B54391C8.jpg (12.1 KB, 576 views)
Old 11-18-2018, 03:12 PM

I feel ya, been out around 14 days in the mountains looking for my first buck. Have been doing some overnighters and on Sunday I am ready to head back... that lasts until I drive away and immediately start planning the next trip. Now I am looking at archery so I can get an extra month!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Banned

The best part of the month is in front of you. That zone has tremendous deer, they'll move more now. Watch lots, it will happen for you!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
The best part of the month is in front of you. That zone has tremendous deer, they'll move more now. Watch lots, it will happen for you!
Awesome, thanks deerH.

And please any tips, suggestions or what have you I am not too proud to learn. 39 yrs old and dont know anything yet🤣
Old 11-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Banned

November 23.
That's when the whitetails run hard. Based on over 15 years of killing them in that zone.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:49 PM

I was in the same boat as you until I closed my mulie tag yesterday morning. Hadn’t seen any of my target bucks in November that I saw and had pics of during bow season, I was getting a bit frustrated as well. I decided to get to the highest ground in the area for first light and spotted him leaving some does and heading for a patch of bush, intercepted him after a rushed stalk. As said already, the best part of the month is coming. Stick to the areas you know there are good bucks around and hunt the does, the bucks will show up eventually. I ended up seeing one of the other bucks I was pursuing minutes after I shot, he was following a group of does that decided to vacate the area. When it rains it pours.....
Old 11-18-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Awesome, thanks deerH.

And please any tips, suggestions or what have you I am not too proud to learn. 39 yrs old and dont know anything yet🤣
Lol...

Rd, I’d bet you know your share. Deer hunting requires a s**tpile of persistence.. Keep at it!!
Old 11-18-2018, 08:09 PM

I passed on a solid whitetail buck last week because I wanted to keep hunting the rest of the season. The chase is better than the catch. My only suggestion is to keep doing what you are doing and remember it can all change in a second when you see that big boy.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
I was in the same boat as you until I closed my mulie tag yesterday morning. Hadn’t seen any of my target bucks in November that I saw and had pics of during bow season, I was getting a bit frustrated as well. I decided to get to the highest ground in the area for first light and spotted him leaving some does and heading for a patch of bush, intercepted him after a rushed stalk. As said already, the best part of the month is coming. Stick to the areas you know there are good bucks around and hunt the does, the bucks will show up eventually. I ended up seeing one of the other bucks I was pursuing minutes after I shot, he was following a group of does that decided to vacate the area. When it rains it pours.....
Congrats. Got a pic? Love success stories.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Doing that right now for whitetails.....3 days ten bucks.....too picky.....but cold sits and snow storms blowing still,sitting, rattling.....grunting.....results are there just no shooters from my perspective....tic......toc........

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-19-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Congrats. Got a pic? Love success stories.
PM sent
Old 11-19-2018, 02:01 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

And in came a eight point and then he left....two rifles up....and a solid nope....great times.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-20-2018, 05:41 PM

Default Big one spotted

So a nice buck pic is sent to me via txt by my buddy who I set up on that huge elk last year. Very nice buck.
I get permission. Head out. The guides ask me what I am doing there, flip out to landowner so he kicked everyone off but the quiet guy with a helpful friend.