Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 11:36 AM

Default Canada Post...legislated back to work order coming today?

Will the government do what’s right and order postal workers back to work today?

This is getting ridiculous. Sounds like they are at least considering it now.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-19-2018, 06:47 AM

Trudeau is still thinking about it... Sigh
They say no US or international parcels until 2019 now.
Apparently including the parcel I sent on September 22! They are still sitting on that one as well even when I shipped it a month before the strike....

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 AM

Mail is a dying industry. Why can't these unions see that? Take what you can, while you can.

Why does residential delivery have to happen daily? Make it every second day. There, I just saved 50% of their residential budget. Hell, Most businesses are on 90 day invoice cycles, cut their delivery cycle in half as well.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:08 AM

Letter mail may be decreasing but I think Canada Post is busier than ever. The amount of on line shopping is increasing everyday. Canada Post is competing with all the courier/ shipping companies and in my opinion we need them more than ever. If C.P. left the market UPS, DHL, Fed Ex etc. would put the boots to us Canadians hard. IMO
Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Letter mail may be decreasing but I think Canada Post is busier than ever. The amount of on line shopping is increasing everyday. Canada Post is competing with all the courier/ shipping companies and in my opinion we need them more than ever. If C.P. left the market UPS, DHL, Fed Ex etc. would put the boots to us Canadians hard. IMO
I get the online shopping, hell I'm a culprit. But It's about efficiency, and adapting.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Actually I think it would be the opposite. There is a monopoly law in effect for all Parcels of a certain size and smaller including letters and according to this law a courier has to charge 3 times what Canada Post does. That doesn't sound like it saves us any money does it?
Old 11-19-2018, 09:01 AM

Parcel business is huge and growing like crazy. Deliver and speedy delivery on top of that is the future. Canada Post is also only holding parcels not letters.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-19-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Actually I think it would be the opposite. There is a monopoly law in effect for all Parcels of a certain size and smaller including letters and according to this law a courier has to charge 3 times what Canada Post does. That doesn't sound like it saves us any money does it?
Always surprises me how few people understand the government mandated monopoly Canada post has. Remove the monopoly and see if they still strike.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Just found out today That Edmonton station is on strike Friday and Monday, no shipments out of Edmonton, Truck delivery people are in the same boat as the letter delivery so no mail from Thursday to possibly Tuesday for Us
Old 11-19-2018, 11:40 AM

This mail strike routine is getting pretty old... now people are scared their Christmas presents won’t arrive in time.. here’s an idea, instead of making the Amazones of the world rich, head on over to your friendly store, mall, family business of any sort.. we have lost touch with the right thing to do these days.. we put many small business out of business by shopping on line..let’s try that!
And yes I know everyone will say.. the stores have nothing in them..yet they used to have all we needed in them.. then came internet shopping!!
Your welcome
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
This mail strike routine is getting pretty old... now people are scared their Christmas presents won’t arrive in time.. here’s an idea, instead of making the Amazones of the world rich, head on over to your friendly store, mall, family business of any sort.. we have lost touch with the right thing to do these days.. we put many small business out of business by shopping on line..let’s try that!
And yes I know everyone will say.. the stores have nothing in them..yet they used to have all we needed in them.. then came internet shopping!!
Your welcome
Zip
For me internet shopping is just picking a more efficient middleman.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
For me internet shopping is just picking a more efficient middleman.
This^^.

As well as being more efficient with my time.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:50 PM

I am tired of postal worker strikes! I do not believe they are not being paid for certain work done. I have a friend that works for them and from the stories I hear from him, I have no time for there complaints. They are over paid and under worked. They should be thankful for what they have instead of this entitled attitude.
I know I am in the minority, but enough is enough.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I'm part owner of a courier company and no such law exists. We can charge as little or as much as we want.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
X2, they are easily the best courier service. Anyone that says otherwise doesn't use parcel delivery. Comparatively cheap and great service, what's not to like.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
We live about an hour from a major center so we buy on line quite a bit now. The small post office we have is half full of Amazon boxes, so I definitely would hate to see the postal service end. Purolator does not seem to bad here but the other Couriers rip us off big time now, without postal service the increase would be brutal. I rarely order anything from a company that only uses UPS or Fed Ex, I shop somewhere else or go without.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
X2, they are easily the best courier service. Anyone that says otherwise doesn't use parcel delivery. Comparatively cheap and great service, what's not to like.
Agree. I prefer Canada Post to any Courier service.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:27 PM

I use Amazon prime. I ordered a graphing calculator for my son on Sunday with 2 day free shipping, it was on my door step in less than 24 hrs. CP can stay out as long as they like.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
You have no IDEA how busy Canada Post has become because of on line shopping!!
Old 11-20-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
......according to this law a courier has to charge 3 times what Canada Post does. That doesn't sound like it saves us any money does it?
I don't care how much private couriers charge for any REAL IMPORTANT letters. I'll trust them before "Canada post". At least they'll get there in a timely manner!
My bad experiences with "the post office" for important stuff would be too long to list here. I just don't trust them anymore.

Quote:
......here’s an idea, instead of making the Amazones of the world rich, head on over to your friendly store, mall, family business of any sort.....Zip
I always try and deal with local businesses - hole-in-the-wall and family operations, etc. I like to keep everything "local" as much as possible. At least most of 'em aren't "anonymous" and "faceless" and you can actually talk to a human who is there in front of you!

JMO
Old 11-20-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
I always try and deal with local businesses - hole-in-the-wall and family operations, etc. I like to keep everything "local" as much as possible. At least most of 'em aren't "anonymous" and "faceless" and you can actually talk to a human who is there in front of you!

JMO
I prefer local as well but the quality needs to be there and the experience (i.e. seller needs to be willing and knowledgable). Unfortunately I have more and more the experience that local sellers aren't interested (?) or just too wish-washy to sell me stuff. For example, no I can't show up every week at your store to see what colours you have. Also, if you can't get back to me in a timely manner, I am shopping somewhere else.
And yes, I do run my own little side business and customer service is key.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your welcome
Zip
Have you actually used Amazon Zip?
I just ordered this book https://www.amazon.ca/Extended-Momen...xtended+moment $39 at Amazon.
At Audrey's (one of Edmonton's popular book sellers) it is $63
That's a $24 difference...on one book. I don't know about you but I don't need a well paid salesperson to show me how to turn the pages.
Lots of stuff like that on Amazon. On the other hand anything I think I will need help in setup or after sales service I will purchase locally....but as I said I can figure out how to turn the page.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:23 PM

Default Not dying, Evolving

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOB
]L;3874807[Mail is a dying industry. Why can't these unions see that? Take what you can, while you can.[/B]

Why does residential delivery have to happen daily? Make it every second day. There, I just saved 50% of their residential budget. Hell, Most businesses are on 90 day invoice cycles, cut their delivery cycle in half as well.
I wouldn't say it's dying, online shopping will keep it alive, but it is definitely evolving into a new beast. And the union needs to realize this, I like the idea of cutting it back to every second day.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Have you actually used Amazon Zip?
I just ordered this book https://www.amazon.ca/Extended-Momen...xtended+moment $39 at Amazon.
At Audrey's (one of Edmonton's popular book sellers) it is $63
That's a $24 difference...on one book. I don't know about you but I don't need a well paid salesperson to show me how to turn the pages.
Lots of stuff like that on Amazon. On the other hand anything I think I will need help in setup or after sales service I will purchase locally....but as I said I can figure out how to turn the page.
yes I have used Amazon, not my first choice ever...but yes I see some good pricing on there as well..i get that part, the part I don't get is we are headed to everything on line eventually...or at least more than we should. I get what your saying...but yet I still feel sorry for those poor little stores trying to eek out a living from this mess..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-20-2018, 05:41 PM

postal workers are a joke, they play sick day bingo, bob phones in sick monday, bill does bobs monday job, gets double bubble, next week bill calls in sick bob takes his route gets double bubble and the cycle keeps continuing.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
postal workers are a joke, they play sick day bingo, bob phones in sick monday, bill does bobs monday job, gets double bubble, next week bill calls in sick bob takes his route gets double bubble and the cycle keeps continuing.
I am sure you have some evidence that will back up your claim, post it up.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-21-2018, 08:08 AM

I had to get a letter in regard to Licencing/Gaming to Edmonton quick. The local post office was backed up with strikes. Used UPS instead for second-day service for only $3.00 more than Can Post

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 11-21-2018, 10:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
Hmmmm are local staff are awesome, friendly, funny and are there every time I walk in......perhaps you should join up with that rogue team and instill better morrows....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-22-2018, 06:55 AM

Trudeau says he may or may not introduce legislation today to end the strike.

I wish there was stronger leadership on this.

I feel for small businesses.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-22-2018, 07:39 AM

I think the big chunk of revenue is from flyers and online shopping packages..