Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 10:52 AM

Default Hunting tip #1 through .......

Here is something I do that works well. Add something to the list if you have a neat trick or idea that you use.

If you notice the Gatorade bottle in my pack you can see the orange handle of my knife. I usually cary a Gatorade bottle or three for drinking water or Gatorade. So when I am successful and make a mess of my knife I throw it in an empty bottle rather than the sheath. It keeps the sheath clean and keeps the blood and meat on the knife from drying out. That makes it easier to clean back at home or camp.

It works well for the used havalon razor blades as well.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-15-2018, 10:54 AM

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 12:10 PM

To start, nice kit Chuck....I think this will be an interesting thread, good idea...

Tip:

1/ I put two wraps of electrician tape around my recoil pad / where the stock meets/joins the recoil pad. No more fumbling for a roll of tape.
Once a shot is taken I tear some tape off to re-do my muzzle.

Once the season is over, it gets removed.

2/ Squeaking nylon back pack.
I bought some fall and winter white polar fleece from a fabric store and my wife made a bag to put over my pack..... No more noise.

She made it in the same fashion as a pillow case and added a draw string at the top. Cost about $3 and took her about 10 minutes.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 11-15-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:27 PM

1-hockey tape is the solution for most noises created by buckles, straps, tree stands that bang together.

2-The yellow fibreglass driveway markers that peavey mart sells are the same size as your ground blind/ice fishing tent hub poles
Old 11-15-2018, 02:47 PM

I carry a piece of double-sided Velcro so if I have to take pictures by myself I stick it to a tree or whatever .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM

Zip lock bag of baby wipes. Those things clean off the hands really really well.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:11 PM

I use a collapsible plastic water container (nalgene) in my day pack. As I drink I can reduce the air in the container which reduces the amount of space it takes in my pack and reduces the sloshing as I'm trying to sneak up close.

Also I use a neoprene stock protector/cartridge carrier. I put a small eraser between it and the stock right where I want a certain part of my face to be every time for a consistent anchor point. I find it's helped reduce the time it takes me to get on target.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:33 PM

Keep your variable scope on minimum power! Zoom it in from there if needed.

Practice shouldering your rifle over and over until you can do it with eyes closed and then open and be looking squarely thru the scope, at the correct eye relief to get a good sight picture. Adjust comb height and length of pull if needed. Lots of high rings out there to accommodate large scope bells, and I find the cheek weld is horrible if the comb is not adjusted.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:38 PM

Ziploc bag of baby wipes - Now that's a good suggestion.

Wet leaves and grass didn't work as well as I would have liked this year.

How come I always manage to kneel in the blood somehow?

Shoulder length disposable vet gloves help to keep clean, if you are smart enough to put them back in the hunting bag ( I wasn't smart enough).
Old 11-15-2018, 03:43 PM

I carry a couple pairs of AI gloves from peavy mart. Go right up to ur armpits and keep u clean when gutting an animal.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:55 PM

I like the idea of a gator aid bottle to help clean a knife, thanks for that idea.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:13 PM

Wipes in zip lock work great and you can buy unscented wipes at the Dollar Store for much less than at the grocery or outdoor stores.
For example: Dollar Store, $1.49/40 wipes. Large outdoor store, $7.99/24 wipes.

Can also buy unscented deodorant at Superstore for much less than the large outdoor store.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:29 PM

Tip:

1/ I put two wraps of electrician tape around my recoil pad / where the stock meets/joins the recoil pad. No more fumbling for a roll of tape.

What is the tape being used for in the first place? Covering the muzzle and keeping water out?
Old 11-15-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Tip:

What is the tape being used for in the first place? Covering the muzzle and keeping water out?
You bet...I always tape my gun barrel and keep a it wrapped around my barrel in case I actually shoot something.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:42 PM

Plastic bowl covers = redneck scope protector
Old 11-15-2018, 04:45 PM

I cut the finger off a black latex glove and use that for my Barrel works good

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 05:35 PM

I carry a small piece of carpet rolled up and strapped to the bottom of my pack. That way when I stop for a break, I pull it out and lay it down to sit on it, prevents me from getting a wet ass if the grass or log I'm sitting on is wet.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:39 PM

If you are struggling to get a good grip while skinning big game use the pliers on your multi tool to not only get a better grip but to also hold the hide back if you don’t have an extra set of hands to help with the dirty job!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:40 PM

Folded up piece of thick poly in my pack for skidding a deer out , anc a Kevlar glove for the other hand while field dressing .
Cat
Old 11-15-2018, 06:11 PM

I always carry Fire paste tube with me any time of the year, never know when you need to start a fire, if you have a coleman fuel stove put some fire paste under you generator to warm it up then open your fuel valve, nice flame, also matches or sparker
Old 11-15-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I carry a couple pairs of AI gloves from peavy mart. Go right up to ur armpits and keep u clean when gutting an animal.
A further use for the AI shoulder length gloves .. you guys that keep the heart and liver , take the liver in one hand and peel the glove down over it while holding on and tie the top .. repeat with the heart on other hand and the glove acts as a carry bag . If you are careful , your hands will remain clean .
Old 11-15-2018, 07:32 PM

Great thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:05 PM

When hunting alone I like having a small compact 8 to 1 block and tackle with 50 feet of 3/16" nylon rope (rope rated at 880 lb.) in the bottom of the pack. Wrapped up it is minimal in size and weight. An 8 to 1 block makes 400 lbs. feel like 50. If an animal goes down in a gully or weird place that block and tackle takes the struggle out of moving the animal. Can easily lift the game if needed too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-15-2018, 08:08 PM

Default My tip of the day

Is my homemade packable meat drag/pulk. Straps to my pack when not in use hauling meat bags. Board 1 ties to board 3 for the toboggan shape. then pull rope go through board 2 directly onto the meat bag(s). Works great

Old 11-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Here is something I do that works well. Add something to the list if you have a neat trick or idea that you use.

If you notice the Gatorade bottle in my pack you can see the orange handle of my knife. I usually cary a Gatorade bottle or three for drinking water or Gatorade. So when I am successful and make a mess of my knife I throw it in an empty bottle rather than the sheath. It keeps the sheath clean and keeps the blood and meat on the knife from drying out. That makes it easier to clean back at home or camp.

It works well for the used havalon razor blades as well.

Good idea but why not just carry water in one of the bottles and wash the knife?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:32 PM

I carry an old simple tree stand harness with me. The simple webbing type. Packs super small and is much nicer to just tie a deer or sled to in order to pull it out and just walk forward with the weight on your shoulders instead of awkwardly pulling by hand.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Good idea but why not just carry water in one of the bottles and wash the knife?
I drink the water. It is a precious commodity.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 PM

Default TP....

....don’t forget the Toilet paper!

however if you are hunting a very cold climate put TWO pairs of socks on because if you forget the TP you still got one pair of socks for your feet and something to wipe your Azz with....
Old 11-15-2018, 09:28 PM

More of a survival tip, but if kindling is an issue take a look for old mans beard, that stuff burns like a satanist in a church and is everywhere in Alberta!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 PM

I have a 12’ piece of cotton ASAT material, it’s invaluable to make a quick ground blind.

I always have a few elastics kicking around, they seem to work for lots of stuff.

I also carry (always) 2 LED headlamps in case one conks out

A piece of closed cell foam (rolled up) strapped to the outside of my pack is good for sitting on but also makes a superior mono pod for shooting off of

An extra pair of wool socks can have a thumb hole cut out of them and used as mitts when you forget yours- found that out the hard way.