Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2018, 10:07 AM

Have lived in Sherwood Park for close to 10 years. Folks lived east on RR 214 for 15 years. I have yet to see anywhere in Strathcona county where you can shoot safely without being close to a dwelling with the exception of the Cooking Lake Blackfoot area where you have to get a discharge permit to hunt in their legally.

You were pushing your luck. Its 2018 not 1980. Alberta is full and so is Strathcona County...
Old 11-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Have lived in Sherwood Park for close to 10 years. Folks lived east on RR 214 for 15 years. I have yet to see anywhere in Strathcona county where you can shoot safely without being close to a dwelling with the exception of the Cooking Lake Blackfoot area where you have to get a discharge permit to hunt in their legally.

You were pushing your luck. Its 2018 not 1980. Alberta is full and so is Strathcona County...
Hmmmm I just hate the idea of a fellow Outdoorsmen being pushed around. Thin edge of the wedge and all.

Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 11-01-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Becouse
Old 11-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Hmmmm I just hate the idea of a fellow Outdoorsmen being pushed around. Thin edge of the wedge and all.

Jamie
Why do you keep ignoring the fact that his neighbors have rights as well?
Old 11-01-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
$80 donated on the GoFundMe page, of $20,000 requested. I'm surprised it's that high. It's a noise complaint. You are aggravating your neighbors. It's like the jerk who lives down the street with the chipped, straight piped Cummins who blasts through every morning at 5 AM, and again at 8 PM. He's a jerk. So people complained, he got tickets. If he starts a GoFundme page I suspect he won't get much sympathy. Except maybe from other inconsiderate jerks who like getting off by rattling windows with their Big worker Boy truck....

It's about being considerate and respectful, as opposed to entitled. You may have spent a bunch to have your own land and feel entitled to shoot. But your neighbors also spent a pile to live there, and apparently don't like your noise. The local bylaw favors them. You maybe should have bought land elsewhere. Hopefully you can sell it for a tidy profit, and go someplace where the nearest neighbor won't be bothered by you.
Extremely well said. I have 15 acres where shooting is permitted and my closest neighbor is 400 yards. I rarely shoot there except a few times with my boy and a 22 and a few deer with my 270. I assume it would annoy them as their shooting would annoy me. I have a range a few km from my house in town and am annoyed by the shooting. I however am a dick and am annoyed by everyone.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Why do you keep ignoring the fact that his neighbors have rights as well?
I would put ownership rights ahead of most anything. We all have to get along, I get that. Living in the country comes at a cost and a benefit. There must be a way to make this work to the satisfaction of everyone. The idea of just saying NO to one aspect of living someplace doesn't ring as a something I am happy with. Why are you so quick to give away another outdoorsmens right to enjoy HIS property the way he sees fit? Lots of room for all of us.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I would put ownership rights ahead of most anything. We all have to get along, I get that. Living in the country comes at a cost and a benefit. There must be a way to make this work to the satisfaction of everyone. The idea of just saying NO to one aspect of living someplace doesn't ring as a something I am happy with. Why are you so quick to give away another outdoorsmens right to enjoy HIS property the way he sees fit? Lots of room for all of us.
I get what you are laying down and all, but it all boils down to the op failing to do his homework. The rules were already in place at time of purchase. Now..... if the op had purchased the place and then these rules were brought in, I’d be the first to throw 100 bucks in the pot for the op. But in the end, the op failed. Big time. Due diligence.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I get what you are laying down and all, but it all boils down to the op failing to do his homework. The rules were already in place at time of purchase. Now..... if the op had purchased the place and then these rules were brought in, I’d be the first to throw 100 bucks in the pot for the op. But in the end, the op failed. Big time. Due diligence.
Thats a understandable explanation. I really don't know the ins and outs of that area. It still irks me you can't do something legal/safe on your own property though.
I also would be interested if he passed his want of shooting along to his Realtor when he bought the place. His Realtor should have been helping him look into that.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Thats a understandable explanation. I really don't know the ins and outs of that area. It still irks me you can't do something legal/safe on your own property though.
I also would be interested if he passed his want of shooting along to his Realtor when he bought the place. His Realtor should have been helping him look into that.
Strathcona County, try to imagine his land is like a large park in the city surrounded by bungalows Not quite that tight but acreage owners everywhere. The further out you get comes the farm land but the development is right to the farm base.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

That is too cool.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-01-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately it would probably be a prohibited device, seeing as our suppressor law doesn’t state the device has to be attached to the barrel
Old 11-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Living in the country comes at a cost and a benefit. .
Seems urban folks believe living on acreages is living in the country. Strathcona county isn't the country, it is a series of bedroom communities and acreages with a bit of farmland remaining, a few parks and such, in reality its an "urban sprawl" area. It's part of the Edmonton Capitol Region, its far from being "out in the country".
Old 11-01-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Seems urban folks believe living on acreages is living in the country. Strathcona county isn't the country, it is a series of bedroom communities and acreages with a bit of farmland remaining, a few parks and such, in reality its an "urban sprawl" area. It's part of the Edmonton Capitol Region, its far from being "out in the country".
Exactly. Lol...
Old 11-02-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
Unfortunately it would probably be a prohibited device, seeing as our suppressor law doesn’t state the device has to be attached to the barrel
Really? Can you elaborate? Looks like a great idea to me.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
Really? Can you elaborate? Looks like a great idea to me.
attach that sucker to your wooden blinds.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-02-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
attach that sucker to your wooden blinds.....
Sorry, don't understand what you are saying.

If noise is the problem, why not try to lower the noise level?
Old 11-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
Looks like you are right as far as I can tell ...

Definition of Prohibited Devices

Under Canadian law, a prohibited device is any device designed or intended to muffle or stop the sound or report of a firearm. This means a silencer cannot be used in Canada for any purpose. However, in some cases you can own and transport a silencer if you meet certain requirements.

https://legalbeagle.com/6802569-cana...ncer-laws.html

Too bad, I was all ready to send to the shop this morning.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:17 AM

That doesn't look like a silencer to me, that looks like a safety device that protects other shooters in the event of a barrel failure.
It also looks like a safety device that stops unwanted barrel swing onto other lanes

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Good point Ken, I never considered the safety aspect.
It will be interesting to get some "theoretical" number to see how effective it is.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That doesn't look like a silencer to me, that looks like a safety device that protects other shooters in the event of a barrel failure.
It also looks like a safety device that stops unwanted barrel swing onto other lanes
OMG Ken, I pray the CFO doesn't see this. Next thing you know it will required at all ranges
Old 11-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Banned

OP post your story on one of the Canadian gun forums. A bigger audience might have more/better advice for you. I grew up in strathcona county. I'd never move back. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
OMG Ken, I pray the CFO doesn't see this. Next thing you know it will required at all ranges
Well OMG I sure hope you dont lose any sleep over it!!! Now I am going to be unable to sleep worrying about your worrying about this!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-02-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Looks like you are right as far as I can tell ...

Definition of Prohibited Devices

Under Canadian law, a prohibited device is any device designed or intended to muffle or stop the sound or report of a firearm. This means a silencer cannot be used in Canada for any purpose. However, in some cases you can own and transport a silencer if you meet certain requirements.

https://legalbeagle.com/6802569-cana...ncer-laws.html

Too bad, I was all ready to send to the shop this morning.

I'm not sure if you are going sarcastic or not, but I don't think they'd be coming after you anytime soon. One of the benefits of indoor ranges is the noise suppression, I don't think those building are classified as prohibited.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are going sarcastic or not, but I don't think they'd be coming after you anytime soon. One of the benefits of indoor ranges is the noise suppression, I don't think those building are classified as prohibited.
I am going to make one and try it. Not sure when I will have time, maybe not until next summer. Thanks for posting the idea.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
$80 donated on the GoFundMe page, of $20,000 requested. I'm surprised it's that high. It's a noise complaint. You are aggravating your neighbors. It's like the jerk who lives down the street with the chipped, straight piped Cummins who blasts through every morning at 5 AM, and again at 8 PM. He's a jerk. So people complained, he got tickets. If he starts a GoFundme page I suspect he won't get much sympathy. Except maybe from other inconsiderate jerks who like getting off by rattling windows with their Big worker Boy truck....

It's about being considerate and respectful, as opposed to entitled. You may have spent a bunch to have your own land and feel entitled to shoot. But your neighbors also spent a pile to live there, and apparently don't like your noise. The local bylaw favors them. You maybe should have bought land elsewhere. Hopefully you can sell it for a tidy profit, and go someplace where the nearest neighbor won't be bothered by you.
Or like a girl goes to another country, breaks their laws by defacing an ancient 800 year wall and ends up arrested. Her mom starts a go fund me page so she can go hang in the country where her daughter broke the laws. Oh wait, that happened.

So many people see Go Fund Me as a free for all now.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:04 AM

If buddy had bought a couple sections, and had a good range with backstop, it would be a bit different....but 80 acres in Strathcona County? That's actually a really tiny piece of land, and the area is fairly densely populated around there. I wouldn't feel safe shooting in those conditions, it's one of the reasons I have a range membership. I'm sure it seems like a huge farm parcel when you are paying for it, but really, it's not. I'd like to see photos of his shooting range, how safe is it really? Berms? Curious.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-03-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Sorry, don't understand what you are saying.

If noise is the problem, why not try to lower the noise level?
You would just shooting through that contraption, wooden ground blind with attachments to muffle the sound......

Old 11-03-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
If buddy had bought a couple sections, and had a good range with backstop, it would be a bit different....but 80 acres in Strathcona County? That's actually a really tiny piece of land, and the area is fairly densely populated around there. I wouldn't feel safe shooting in those conditions, it's one of the reasons I have a range membership. I'm sure it seems like a huge farm parcel when you are paying for it, but really, it's not. I'd like to see photos of his shooting range, how safe is it really? Berms? Curious.
Exactly, bullet travels a hell of a distance after the bang.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Banned

Exclamation

*crickets*

New member with 4 posts and asking for money....that's how I see this post.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FQ2 View Post
*crickets*

New member with 4 posts and asking for money....that's how I see this post.
So your calling our new member a bald face liar?
Old 11-04-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of things to consider. Layout, terrain, where the neighbors are but you could most definately have a safe range on 80 acres. 80 acres is 800m x 400m. No reason you could not have a 1 bench 100M range with 700m of extra safety behind your backstop. Proper berms, backstop, layout, I have shot on ranges on 10 acres in the US... CHAS Genesee range is only on 160 acres so 800m x 800m and they have 5 ranges and can have 100 people there. Why do you think the long range is 800m? It's the same 800m you have to work with on 80 acres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Exactly, bullet travels a hell of a distance after the bang.
No ... no they don't. They travel until the hit the backstop and then they stop. They do not have a mind of their own, they can only go where you send them.

Almost everyone is assuming the OP is operating in an unsafe manner. I am assuming he is operating in a safe manner. Either could be wrong I guess but if the CFO, RCMP, county and neighbors want him shut down and they had a safety angle to accomplish that, do you not think they would take it? That would be pretty easy, unsafe use of a firearm, criminal charges and that would be the end of it. Instead, they are trying to beat him into submission with noise violations??? Makes no sense if he is being unsafe.

OP, I would try CGN as already suggested, no love here