Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
The regs say only non motorized bikes can be used on the bike trails so I guess there goes my idea about using these new electric bikes they are selling.
I think this is a bit of a grey area, I've heard of guys using E-bikes in a lot of the 400s where motorized vehicles are prohibited, not sure how this is being enforced. Anyone on the forum have any insight?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk63 View Post
I think this is a bit of a grey area, I've heard of guys using E-bikes in a lot of the 400s where motorized vehicles are prohibited, not sure how this is being enforced. Anyone on the forum have any insight?
E-bikes are illegal,same as any other fuel powered engine.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:56 PM

100% you can have quad in/on the designated trails in bob creek so from the staging area if you head west then yes 100%. But on the black creek side the only person allowed on Ohv are the local trapper ken hilderbrand and one other fellow. But it is all grazing lease and the rancher doesnt like people around his cattle so he trys to stop alot of people.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
E-bikes are illegal,same as any other fuel powered engine.
I could be wrong, but the way that I understand it is that e-bikes that are self propelled are not permitted. However, e-bikes that are assist only (as is you need to be physically pedaling for the electric motor to operate) are permitted as they still require muscular power to move.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
I could be wrong, but the way that I understand it is that e-bikes that are self propelled are not permitted. However, e-bikes that are assist only (as is you need to be physically pedaling for the electric motor to operate) are permitted as they still require muscular power to move.
Pretty sound logic, anyone on here know who would be the best regulatory body to contact to confirm this?
Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk63 View Post
Pretty sound logic, anyone on here know who would be the best regulatory body to contact to confirm this?
Good luck. A buddy tried and could not get a firm answer from any one. In the end was told its non defined (okay....) he used his and was apparently not a issue but I would guess a different CO could have very different opinions on it.

not sure what agencies he tried.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:48 AM

On another note, the southern access to to much of Bob Creek Wildland now lies within grazing leases. It appears that to access Bob Creek Wildland you've got to pass through a GRL of some sort. Have people been contacting the leaseholder here? How's this process been?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
On another note, the southern access to to much of Bob Creek Wildland now lies within grazing leases. It appears that to access Bob Creek Wildland you've got to pass through a GRL of some sort. Have people been contacting the leaseholder here? How's this process been?
You are correct, I had no issues when I contacted him, he's a good guy.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:48 AM

I too have been thinking about getting out to Bob Creek this fall for a 4-7 day camp, i confirmed that the designated ATV trails are active so hauling a camp in should hopefully not be an issue. Plan on checking out the trails in the next week or two but was wondering if anyone has had any experience hauling in a camp? Judging by everyone;s post seems like there is a fair amount of elk in the area, just a matter of locating the bulls?

Cheers.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 AM

I've actually seen more cougars then elk while scouting this summer in there, pretty crazy.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:53 PM

So the staging area is in a grazing allotment now? South side
Or is it after you leave?
I am planning a trip this fall with the horses and want to double check before
I have looked but my map is not detailed enought to tell if it is or not.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2018, 06:40 PM

Down load MD Ranchlands to your I- hunter app and you won’t have any confusion when you proceed on foot/horse/quad.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:32 PM

The GRL says no motorized vehicles allowed..
Old 11-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The GRL says no motorized vehicles allowed..
Call the lease holder, they will allow OHV on designated trails for access to Bob Creek, just not for access to the rest of their lease.

I just hope they never change their mind and try to limit access to the public land behind the lease.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
308 is a great area to hunt elk. It is primarily crown land, but the mixture of a few grazing leases and reasonable restrictions on OHV use reduces hunting pressure relative to say, 402 next door.

I'd suggest starting your hunt at the south end staging area. You'll have to get access via the GL contact though, because the south end has GL's all along the boundary. You can walk in from the north of the WMU, but its far more pressured due to access off of 532 highway and proximity to the city. I've never accessed via Waldron, sounds like alot of people do but again that requires contacting the ranch and it always looks busy.

The south end is far more open and rolling. Depending on what you see for scouting you can spot and stalk from high points, then use the topography to close distances to get close for a bow.

Good luck, sounds like a great time with family.

what are GLs?
Old 08-31-2020, 08:57 PM

Grazing Lease