Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
I've always found the opposite. Since on a quad you stand up when going over rough trails, you can bend your limbs to absorb shocks. On a SxS, I feel like I'm getting tossed and banged around the whole time. Might depend on the person though. For me, my spine gives out far before my muscles do.
that's what I think as well...... riding a quad you have an extra set of shocks. less fatigue at the end of the trail.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I've always found the opposite. Since on a quad you stand up when going over rough trails, you can bend your limbs to absorb shocks. On a SxS, I feel like I'm getting tossed and banged around the whole time. Might depend on the person though. For me, my spine gives out far before my muscles do.
Some sxs's are brutal, mostly big heavy utility ones that aren't made for comfort. My rzr has fox shocks, took me a bit to dial them in but now they can soak up almost anything I throw at them, almost. I will put down my rzr Pom poms for the night now.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
You need a ranger .. "hardest working ,smoothest riding" SXS out there

Now I will set my Pom Poms aside for the night too
Old 04-24-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
You need a ranger .. "hardest working ,smoothest riding" SXS out there

Now I will set my Pom Poms aside for the night too
I know I wont be selling mine anytime soon.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 PM

IMO, if just the 2 of you going hunting, I would say 2 quads. If you have troubles, a second machine will be handy. Hauling in camp, and kids want to ride/drive as well. Depends on your boy's age I guess.

I just recently bought a used mint Rhino (with over $10G in accessories) over a new quad. Main reason, my 2 boys want to come with dad....one is almost 8 the other is 6. Cant take both on a quad. As for Rhino not making it down tight cutlines, I guess if you like driving through overgrown, then yes its an issue. We have had at least one Rhino a moose camp since they come out....now our camp is up to 3 and 3 Vikings for this upcoming year. Some of my buddies upgraded from the Rhino to a Viking...larger families, something newer.

I still kept my old quad for a backup and for use when the boys are older...wont get much for it so better off keeping.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:02 AM

having had a couple quads for a few years and seeing what a sxs is capable of both quads will be for sale shortly, dont see much point in maintaining and insuring 2 of them when the sxs will take the place of both.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:54 AM

Default Sms ?

I think you should take a look at the A.C. Wildcat trail edition just came out fits in the back of a truck and 700 cc goes head to head and beats the razor,s 800 . My buddy just picked one up last week and I am seriously considering making the switch . Nice unit tons of power can tow 1500 lb he claims, is under 1000 lb unit. For $13000 out the door. Just a thought because I don't most people have heard or seen of a wildcat trail model.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:33 PM

I have both - a Rhino and a Kawasaki Brute force 650 - the quad has not had much use for a while now. The UTV has quite a bit more utility, is not quite as hard on the body and is just plain easier and more forgiving to drive. I can get down most trails a quad can wrt width. The weight and size of the UTV has not been a problem so far. Also, my wife prefers the Rhino!!!

Good luck.

Alba gu brath!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 PM

Try out both and decide. Only you can determine what you like to ride or drive!! To each their own.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 PM

The ATV trails I've come across in Alberta so far seem suited fine to a UTV. In Alaska where all my ATV/UTV experience is from, there's a lot more really rough and rooted single track, which IMO is where the ATV especially shines. I think it depends a lot on the area OP wants to hunt and what the trails are like there.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
The ATV trails I've come across in Alberta so far seem suited fine to a UTV. In Alaska where all my ATV/UTV experience is from, there's a lot more really rough and rooted single track, which IMO is where the ATV especially shines. I think it depends a lot on the area OP wants to hunt and what the trails are like there.
Great point. One day I will make it to Alaska with my utv. Then I will try to prove you wrong lol
Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilidh69 View Post
I have both - a Rhino and a Kawasaki Brute force 650 - the quad has not had much use for a while now. The UTV has quite a bit more utility, is not quite as hard on the body and is just plain easier and more forgiving to drive. I can get down most trails a quad can wrt width. The weight and size of the UTV has not been a problem so far. Also, my wife prefers the Rhino!!!

Good luck.
Try a rhino with electric power steering and Fox Float shocks.....what a dream to drive. I am sure glad in buying my friend's rhino late last fall.

The new Vikings have the EPS from factory.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpilefsj View Post
Great point. One day I will make it to Alaska with my utv. Then I will try to prove you wrong lol
If you make it there before I manage to graduate and get transferred there, let me know and I'll lend you my Go-Pro to document the occasion . Although if I get there or to Norman Wells (Jackpot!) first, you're on your own....
Old 04-26-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1948 View Post
I have a Rhino, will never go back to holding on to handlebars.
Got a rhino myself way better then a quad. I ve hauled a moose and 2 people out no problem
Would never go back to a Quad
Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 AM

I have a Rhino as well and have used quads before...I much prefer the Rhino over them...especialy now that my knees are shot...Riding in as aposed to riding on has made life in that area a whole lot easier. I like I can just toss stuff in the Rhino too and not have to strap everything on to it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim
Old 04-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Banned

I have both grizzly quads and a ranger xp 900 and I have to say if I could only have one it would be the ranger xp 900. Once I put a little bit of a lift on it, it'll be the perfect hunting rig. The reason I bought a side by side was because we were a family of three, with a quad for each of us, then surprise! Now we are a family of 4. So we figured we would sell the two big grizzly quads and keep the little grizz for the oldest boy, this way all 4 of us can go riding safely. The added bonus of being able to just load up the box of the ranger instead of strapping everything down is great. I'm getting older and the need for wheelies and mud bogging has ebbed so a side by side is a no brainier for me. One thing to consider is a side by side is only one machine, if something goes wrong there is no other ride out!

If you want to go the two quad route I'll sell you my 2007 grizz 700 and 2005 grizz 660 for $10,000 for both.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:18 AM

Redundancy is a big consideration when in the back woods with just a couple people. Makes for a long walk when stuff goes wrong and was my reason for selling an old YJ Jeep jacked up and done out for trails and moving to a newer quad.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:35 PM

They're both great. depending on what YOU want. I've had plenty of both, lots of quads, a rzr s and standard, commander 1000. Sold em all and back on a quad, 2011 outlander 800. At the end of the day, I got more enjoyment out of my quad, and it does what I need it for. Also in my experience, quads are much lower maintenance. Could be my misperception tho, due to the 2 polaris units I owned, lol