Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pete View Post
Deerguy is correct tax payers own lease land just as much as the lease holder does....technically you are supposed to contact the leaseholder. If a lease is accessed without contact there is a chance that you may get a fine under the petty trespass act but definately not any criminal charges.
The petty trespass act clearly exempts grazing leases and agricultural leases.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/P11.pdf
Old 11-09-2015, 04:33 PM

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...d/default.aspx

What contact information must be provided?

To ensure that recreational users contact leaseholders before they use the land, leaseholders must provide the Department with the name of a contact person for recreational access. The contact information must include a telephone or fax number, or e-mail address.

Leaseholders can also specify some conditions on access, such as whether leaseholders allow motorized vehicle access. Alternatively, leaseholders can specify that they don't want to be contacted prior to a visit, but leaseholders must inform the Department of that choice.

The Department will place this information on a public website at:
Recreational Access to Agricultural Public Land Contact and Access Condition Information

Before going onto the land, the recreational user must get in touch with the person leaseholders have named as the contact person for the grazing or farm development lease. If this information is not provided, the recreational user can come on the land without contacting the leaseholder.

If there are NO conditions stated, such as "Call Three (3) days before accessing the lease", then there is No need to contact the leaseholder before accessing the grazing lease.

Some leaseholders do not want to be contacted by people accessing the lease. This is how the system allows for them to not be bothered.

Those grazing leaseholders that Want to be contacted before people access the lease MUST provide contact information and request contact be made within a stated timeframe, thus making a condition.

For grazing leases.
No Contact information or No conditions stated = NO Contact required before access.

Ugh.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-09-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
The petty trespass act clearly exempts grazing leases and agricultural leases.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/P11.pdf
Correct.

However, not following the rules for accessing grazing leases,

A person could be charged with a contravention of the Recreational Access Regulation, and a fine of $250.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-09-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
That's a completely different thing, of which I agree with you.

However, when in the conditions of a lease it states no contact is required to access a specific lease, then....... no contact is required to access the lease.

This whole lease thing is actually really simple. Read the conditions on ESRD/iHunter, follow directions. No wonder lease managers go bonkers this time of year...

Don't always go by what ihunter says. I had this experience this year. I found a lease with no contact required info and it turns out the guy wants to be notified. I'm sure he will be taking it up with esrd.
Thankfully he still allowed us to hunt. But under the lease holder in the app it says unknown. He wasn't impressed that the info was wrong.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Don't always go by what ihunter says. I had this experience this year. I found a lease with no contact required info and it turns out the guy wants to be notified. I'm sure he will be taking it up with esrd.
Thankfully he still allowed us to hunt. But under the lease holder in the app it says unknown. He wasn't impressed that the info was wrong.
That's why you use this, they told me it's updated twice a week.
https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/RecAcces...ewer=RecAccess

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-09-2015, 05:42 PM

The leased land merry go round... Seriously guys, if you have any questions, many can be answered here. Problem is, you'll get many different answers.

I have excellent relationships with many leaseholders but I've had a few issues with leaseholders denying us access that have escalated all the way to the top. I've won each and every time. I only say this because I didn't find the correct answer here so I called the government and found the right answers.

Do not rely on an app or this forum, rely on ESRD. Get in writing via an email if your unsure. These people have been awesome to deal with.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Banned

All this talk of "ask for permission always" implies a lease holder can deny you if he feels and gets to pick and choose who goes on, no truth there. You ask landowners for permission to access, you TELL a leaseholder when you will be there, big difference.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I agree. We have also purchased all the necessary county maps, and spend way too much time on ESRD (According to my wife). We also spend numerous days visiting the lease contacts in person (typically ranchers) to build those relationships in the off-season.

I have zero concern with how our group conducts our business with accessing leases for our hunting purposes.
My actual concern lies in the numerous people that continue to misunderstand the rules, and ill-advise others who don't know any better but to believe what they read.

Back the woods tomorrow. Good luck everyone.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:16 PM

I used the ESRD access site and contacted a bunch of lease holders. My question is this:

What responsibility does the leaseholder have to respond to you?

One of the lease has a condition stating that to get access, you must submit an email to such-and-such address stating your request by such-and-such date. Okay...fair enough....so it was done. That was almost a month and a half ago.

I have been met with the sound of crickets.

So now what?

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 11-09-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
I used the ESRD access site and contacted a bunch of lease holders. My question is this:

What responsibility does the leaseholder have to respond to you?

One of the lease has a condition stating that to get access, you must submit an email to such-and-such address stating your request by such-and-such date. Okay...fair enough....so it was done. That was almost a month and a half ago.

I have been met with the sound of crickets.

So now what?
Go hunting
Old 11-09-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
You guys can do whatever you want. But when fish and wildlife shows up and charges you with hunting on occupied land without permission... dont create a thread about it. Numerous members have warned you. But hey lol you don't have to listen to us....trust the ihunter app. ; )
What part of "No contact required" on ESRD (!) website generated report is not clear to you???
Old 11-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Go hunting
Had a strange one today, ran across a couple quarters last night that are a grazing lease. Got the laese holders name off the map, and checked the website, no special conditions other than if cattle at large, foot access only etc. On one gate was a piece of vinyl siding with "no hunting" scrawled on it...not really out of the ordinary, as a certain outfitter out here delights in putting up signs on every gate and corner post in the zone it seems. So the lease holders name is female , call and talk to her and she doesn't see a problem, "will just tell my husband when you are going in there", asked her about the sign , she knew nothing about it- All is good, gave her all the contact info etc. A couple hours later, my wife calls me to say the lease holders husband calls and says he doesn't want anyone hunting in there , that's why he put up the sign...?????. I think I will go and talk to him before taking it further, it's only 2 quarters...but, it's the principle of the matter
Old 11-09-2015, 08:57 PM

Hopefully you make some headway. I find it odd that leaseholders and hunters can't follow the simple rules regarding these leases.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
.... A couple hours later, my wife calls me to say the lease holders husband calls and says he doesn't want anyone hunting in there , that's why he put up the sign...?????. I think I will go and talk to him before taking it further, it's only 2 quarters...but, it's the principle of the matter
I don't want anyone hunting on the Crown Land that I like to hunt neither......too bad so sad for both me and this landowner.....errrrr,I mean CROWN LEASE holder.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Go hunting
hahaha...well played, sir.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 11-10-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
You guys can do whatever you want. But when fish and wildlife shows up and charges you with hunting on occupied land without permission... dont create a thread about it. Numerous members have warned you. But hey lol you don't have to listen to us....trust the ihunter app. ; )
Chqarged and convicted are 2 different things
Old 11-10-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Chqarged and convicted are 2 different things
Both involve lawyer fees, copious amounts of time away from work and hunting, stress.......go for it seems like a great time...
Old 11-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Both involve lawyer fees, copious amounts of time away from work and hunting, stress.......go for it seems like a great time...
I'm sure there are plenty of outdoorsmen in this province that would donate a few dollars to a good cause.
After all that's the only way to get some of these ridicules laws off of the books.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 PM

Default lease

I have one area with lease pasture I have problems with. Guys leases 5 quarters under three different land numbers, and a wildlife quarter near it has no access unless I trespass on the lease land.

2 of the leases have stipulations for access but the last lease (3 quarters) have no stipulations but has no hunting signs on the gates...grrr.. I call the guy every year and he doesn't want hunting on the land he tells everyone. I tell him that I'm just courtesy calling him as there are no ESRD stipulations on the one package and that I'm going hunting/trespassing anyway. He mumbles and grumbles, doesn't say yes or no. I'm surprised he doesn't add stipulations to it? Perhaps he isn't computer savvy? Who knows...

I haven't had any issues with the law yet but I know he isn't happy with me and he doesn't hunt so it's more of he just doesn't want people on 'his' land. I would like to just have a good relationship with him but he wants no part of it.

It's frustrating because its always some excuse and I know damn well he keeps one moo bull out there until Dec just to say there are beef on the 800 acres if it ever comes to a court.

Oh well I'll keep keeping on out there, damn good Moose spot either way....lol
Old 11-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Banned

Road allowances should get you to where your going without issue.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Road allowances should get you to where your going without issue.
Usually for sure, in this case a weird shaped lake makes it impossible. Perhaps a boat but more effort than I want.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:27 PM

The lease quarters out where I go have deadfall packed up against the cutline accesses. The road ends half way up the eastern lease so the North Crown quarter and the one to its west are not accessible directly from the road. The neighbour across the road (not the actual lease holder) piles the dead fall from his private clearings there ( I saw him doing it). I have never seen a cow on this bush quarter.

From https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/RecAcces...ewer=RecAccess

Specific Access Conditions for this Disposition:
No recreational management plan, restrictions, prohibitions or terms and conditions of use have been established by a Local Settlement Officer or Director.

Leaseholder Conditions as Approved by the Minister:
• Camping by permission only.
• Please contact between 8 AM and 8 PM.
• Please close gates.
• No access in a fenced pasture in which livestock are
present.

They have laid deadfall along the old oil lease access road through the lease itself to prevent people from getting quads in to the two crown 1/4s north.

They piled deadfall where there used to be a bit of a parking area where the road ended so you can't park there.

They have scrawled No Access, Trespassers will be prosecuted, No ATVs etc and yet also have the orange Use Respect/Contact sheet posted. They also have put up no parking signs on the entire RR as well as at the dead end

I am a walk in guy but that dead fall makes for a tough slog in and I feel like I am breaking some law even parking along the road now. Without a quad, getting in from the East is tough.

The irony is the quad parties all come in from the West (county land) where there are no signs or deadfall "walls" to prevent them. The cutlines are a mess of mud and deep trenches now.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
The lease quarters out where I go have deadfall packed up against the cutline accesses. The road ends half way up the eastern lease so the North Crown quarter and the one to its west are not accessible directly from the road. The neighbour across the road (not the actual lease holder) piles the dead fall from his private clearings there ( I saw him doing it). I have never seen a cow on this bush quarter.

From https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/RecAcces...ewer=RecAccess

Specific Access Conditions for this Disposition:
No recreational management plan, restrictions, prohibitions or terms and conditions of use have been established by a Local Settlement Officer or Director.

Leaseholder Conditions as Approved by the Minister:
• Camping by permission only.
• Please contact between 8 AM and 8 PM.
• Please close gates.
• No access in a fenced pasture in which livestock are
present.

They have laid deadfall along the old oil lease access road through the lease itself to prevent people from getting quads in to the two crown 1/4s north.

They piled deadfall where there used to be a bit of a parking area where the road ended so you can't park there.

They have scrawled No Access, Trespassers will be prosecuted, No ATVs etc and yet also have the orange Use Respect/Contact sheet posted. They also have put up no parking signs on the entire RR as well as at the dead end

I am a walk in guy but that dead fall makes for a tough slog in and I feel like I am breaking some law even parking along the road now. Without a quad, getting in from the East is tough.

The irony is the quad parties all come in from the West (county land) where there are no signs or deadfall "walls" to prevent them. The cutlines are a mess of mud and deep trenches now.
A horrible example of how someone can abuse the system. I hope you challenge this and he makes it right