Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 11:32 PM

Default Is attacking an Albertan or there property in BC a hate crime?

Hearing lots of anecdotal information on vehicle vandalism against Albertans in some areas.

Given these are discriminatory attacks against Albertans ... it would be nice for are methe me to get charged with a serious crime and stop attacks on fellow Canadians.

Hogan needs to strongly and clearly denounce attacks on Albertans. BC businesses should be standing up for Albertans and all we bring to BC from significant tourism dollars, buying of goods such as wines, woods, seafood, energy, fuel, art and the fact we welcome the, with open arms.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/...t95_11/p2.html
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-29-2020, 11:38 PM
Banned

Yep, that needs to be nipped in the bud, considering that we see many B.C. plates here in Alberta. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the possibility of retaliation against B.C. visitors, with far reaching effects. Remember in the '70s the reaction some Albertans had when seeing Quebec plates here?
Old 05-30-2020, 07:16 AM

Still lots of BC plates parked at an Alberta Walmart , beating the HST.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:23 AM

Default Is attacking an Albertan or there property in BC a hate crime?

That is a very interesting question .
Old 05-30-2020, 07:35 AM

Only if the Albertan is non-white or LGBQT LMNOP would it be a hate crime. Hating on straight white folk is plenty well accepted in Canukistan these days.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:38 AM

I recently sold a item on kijiji and it was a guy from BC that showed up, I didn’t slam him for being here, seeing lots of Saskatchewan plates around too. Good thing we don’t start protesting we could see a riot
Old 05-30-2020, 07:51 AM

I was in Home hardware the other day, guy ahead of me, picking up materials had Ontario plates. Given the number of cases in Ontario and their problem dealing with them, I was tempted to raise a stink. Nah, some things are best left alone. Saskatchewan plate in the No Frills lot. Guy in the store and wife , ignoring social distancing, handling everything in sight, dragging bottled water across the floor, probably Calgarians headed West. Screw the rest, I look after myself.

Grizz
Old 05-30-2020, 08:07 AM

Default yes

I believe an argument could be made that it IS a hate crime. A licence plate provides a possible targeted group.

https://hatecrimebc.ca
"Hate crimes and incidents are any crime or incident which is targeted at a victim because of the offender's hostility or prejudice against an identifiable group of people.

"

The problem with targeting a "vehicle plate" is there is no knowledge of the people and the circumstances which cause them to be associated with the vehicle. Human nature often does not make sense.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
I believe an argument could be made that it IS a hate crime. A licence plate provides a possible targeted group.

"Hate crimes and incidents are any crime or incident which is targeted at a victim because of the offender's hostility or prejudice against an identifiable group of people.

"

The problem with targeting a "vehicle plate" is there is no knowledge of the people and the circumstances which cause them to be associated with the vehicle. Human nature often does not make sense.
Good Luck selling that to the cops, especially BC cops.

Grizz
Old 05-30-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post

"

Yup. I know some people who were from Alberta but in BC at the start and isolated there.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-30-2020, 08:22 AM

I have an RPAL and recently experienced a group attacking me for it (truth be told, the attack is sustained and ongoing), shall I contact the human rights commission?
Old 05-30-2020, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I have an RPAL and recently experienced a group attacking me for it (truth be told, the attack is sustained and ongoing), shall I contact the human rights commission?
There are people that have. I think it’s still to early to see any results from it, but yes, the more resistance and “push back” they see on the issue, the better the chances that they will actually have to deal with it.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Yep, that needs to be nipped in the bud, considering that we see many B.C. plates here in Alberta. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the possibility of retaliation against B.C. visitors, with far reaching effects. Remember in the '70s the reaction some Albertans had when seeing Quebec plates here?
Time to get the ab gov to close the border on both sides to all out of province workers until every Alberta is working. Union or no Union.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
RPAL - Redneck Plumbing Albertan - Yes you are part of the targeted group. Keep one in the chamber

Dodger.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:23 AM

Resist the urge! Tell yourselves you're better then them and don't even think about retaliation when you see that brand new BC car parked in walmart.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-30-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Resist the urge! Tell yourselves you're better then them and don't even think about retaliation when you see that brand new BC car parked in walmart.
Worst I would do would be a note under their windshield wiper with a sincere smiley face saying “Welcome to Alberta, neighbor!”
Old 05-30-2020, 09:37 AM

White people can never claim hate crime in any violent act.
They are privileged, dont you know.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-30-2020, 09:41 AM

I plan on buying land in BC in the next 5 years and eventually moving there, in 40 years I will retire there. It is a dream of mine and I hope it’s not impossible in the future. Landowners I know in BC hate Albertans fishing their rivers... but let’s remember it’s not too different than Saskatchewan residents hating Albertans in places like meadow lake and battleford. We’re all Effin Canadian. I love western Canada, let’s all “identify” as western Canadians, make peace, and effin protect our natural resources and develop proper infrastructure...
Old 05-30-2020, 09:44 AM

Please try and keep in mind that a few morons in a few towns do NOT reflect the hearts of all of the people in BC.

We all know that "bad apples" saying... it applies to everyone.

Maybe I need a notepad in my truck so I can leave "Thanks for coming back to BC" on some windshields.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I plan on buying land in BC in the next 5 years and eventually moving there, in 40 years I will retire there. It is a dream of mine and I hope it’s not impossible in the future. Landowners I know in BC hate Albertans fishing their rivers... but let’s remember it’s not too different than Saskatchewan residents hating Albertans in places like meadow lake and battleford. We’re all Effin Canadian. I love western Canada, let’s all “identify” as western Canadians, make peace, and effin protect our natural resources and develop proper infrastructure...
Welcome to the club!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-30-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post
Please try and keep in mind that a few morons in a few towns do NOT reflect the hearts of all of the people in BC.

We all know that "bad apples" saying... it applies to everyone.

Maybe I need a notepad in my truck so I can leave "Thanks for coming back to BC" on some windshields.
It sure as hell wouldn't hurt because there are a lot more than just a few bad apples spreading the other message.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Worst I would do would be a note under their windshield wiper with a sincere smiley face saying “Welcome to Alberta, neighbor!”
A group within Calgary is targeting you? How did they figure out the RPAL?
Old 05-30-2020, 09:48 AM

You want to see out of province plates, check out Walmart and Costco in the Hat. Lots of Sask plates, for the most part we are very welcoming to them.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-30-2020, 10:03 AM

Last time I checked a Canadian didn’t have to show ID when crossing a provincial border which is essentially an imaginary line that somebody put on a map one day. We are all Canadian and have rights to travel all over Canada.

We are planning to drive a SK plated motorhome to Fernie this summer to see a best friend and do some fly fishing. Then carrying on to Fairmont to spend time with other AB friends at their property they have owned for over 20 years. I couldn’t care less what some locals think and I wouldn’t care if I saw BC plates here. What does it bother me? It just gives a reason for arseholes to be arseholes. These same people will be whining when all the tourist dollars dry up and they are begging for people to come spend money in their towns.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
I took it to mean Trudeau and his gang of gun-hating thugs...
Old 05-30-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
They're from all over, but convene in Ottawa. At least they used to anyways... It's an organized hate group (they even maintain a members list!) that uses the usual tactics, spreading misinformation to indoctrinate others into their twisted mindsets, active aggression against a group that is 99.98% innocent of their numerous exaggerated claims.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-30-2020 at 10:33 AM.