Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Right or wrong what I do is I値l try to contact and leave message or email once. If no reply I値l try to contact once more by phone or email and tell them I will be accessing there lease on such a date, what I知 driving, why I知 accessing it, my contact info etc. Of course I abide by the conditions. If there is cattle or a fire ban. That usually gets there attention pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^^this, I don't play games, read what the access conditions are and follow them. Keep a running list of when called etc. Once they know that I'll be on the lease in the next few days I usually get a response quite quickly.
WDF
Old 05-31-2020, 08:45 AM

I think its the second biggest ranch in Alberta and all they do is let the internal gates open during hunting season. This way technically the cows could access all lease land if some of them where inclined.
They dont answer phone calls either.
The father that isn't active anymore used to herd the elk onto the ranch with his airplane.
If you have enough money you can do whatever you want.
Its also funny how some who have made their millions in oil and gas won't allow oil and gas on their ranch.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Right or wrong what I do is I値l try to contact and leave message or email once. If no reply I値l try to contact once more by phone or email and tell them I will be accessing there lease on such a date, what I知 driving, why I知 accessing it, my contact info etc. Of course I abide by the conditions. If there is cattle or a fire ban. That usually gets there attention pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup.

The access rules don't require "permission", they require notification.
The leaseholder has the onus to respond to notifications of access if there are conditions not stated in the publicly accessible access plan that he/she has a concern with.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-31-2020, 06:01 PM

Next time I try for permission on a difficult leaseholder I may also send the e-mail to the lands officer. It just may work.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Yup.

The access rules don't require "permission", they require notification.
The leaseholder has the onus to respond to notifications of access if there are conditions not stated in the publicly accessible access plan that he/she has a concern with.
Very true W.B.. You'll note that in the government notices regarding Grazing Lease access aimed at hunters, they never use the word 'Permission'
Old 05-31-2020, 09:48 PM

I imagine that it can get onerous for some leaseholders to respond to many requests. They didn't become ranchers to spend their time managing people! However, it's onerous for the recreationalist too, - we didn't pursue our hobbies in order to sift through a computer program and then fruitlessly attempt to secure "permission" to access public land. But, - it's the system we both have to work with.

IMO, as leases come up for renewal, they should be reassessed at 'fair market value', and all non-leaseholder access requests/notifications be handled by the Provincial Land Managers. Everyone calls one provincial number/website, during regular business hours, to access our provincial property under Grazing lease. Fair access conditions are dictated by the land manager. Recreationalists (mushroom pickers/hunters/birdwatcher), outfitters, energy companies - everybody would deal with the Land Managers. If any lease-holders have concerns with anyone accessing their lease, they too, can call the Land Manager to ensure that person has followed the access rules, and pass on any possible complaints to the Land Manager to deal with. There need be no direct communication between the recreationalist, and the lease holder. Any 'trespass fees' paid by oil/gas, power, utilities - would go back to the land owner - the taxpayer. As is done in other provinces.

Extra revenue generated would more than cover the land managers required, and also some agricultural inspectors to annually audit the leases to ensure that they are actually being used for what was intended - grazing, but not over-grazed, fences in good order, best environmental practices being used... just generally that the conditions of the lease are being followed. Think of it as a 'landlord inspection', looking after the public's interest in their land.

As 'Meateater' is fond of saying, " I am a PUBLIC LAND OWNER'
Old 05-31-2020, 09:52 PM

i have called before, with no answer. I follow up a few days later with an email and the dates, how im accessing and my vehicle info. In my mind I have done my part to notify them, and it is now on them to get back to me.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:56 PM
Banned

Cows feed people. They're an essential service. Best thing is to stay home, pay your taxes and eat beef during this crisis.
It isn't possible for cows and people in camo to coexist. Last time I was on a lease I was tempted to ride one. And beer cans. Cows must like to drink beer. When they're not cutting the fences to get out.