Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 06:36 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Select-A-Catch Bear Power Foot Snare Now Available in Canada

https://www.selectacatch.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfohtNgZjb0

https://canadiancoyotecompany.com/pr...t-snare-system

HISTORY OF SELECT-A-CATCH™

Designed by 2 Wildlife Damage Control Professionals with over 72 years of combined experience
Our company started in 2009 in a small northwest area of Montana. Our number one goal when we began developing this product was to create an animal capturing system that would bring us into the 21st century. Most foothold devices on the market today have actually been around for a couple hundred years and have changed very little. Our product combines a variety of methods to make animal capturing as selective, effective and humane as possible!

Improvements implemented include utilizing a kink-less chain plus a breakaway S-hook that is designed to release most larger non-target animals once captured. We also have a pan tension that helps avoid capturing most smaller animals. We were convinced that we were onto something that would change the trapping industry, as we knew it. Patents were filed and granted in the United States and Canada.

The earlier prototypes were made of aluminum and proved to be too expensive to manufacture so we designed a product that produced via injection molding using a tough durable ABS material. In 2016 the injected molded products became available. With the business up and going we have shipped units to over 38 states, several Canadian provinces as well as Nepal, Russia and New Zealand.

Many Federal, State and Tribal agencies are using our product today to capture a wide variety of animals. After 72 years combined experience in the animal capturing business, we strive to improve on existing methods and our #1 goal is manufacturing the most humane, selective and effective foot snaring system available on the market today.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:59 AM
AO Sponsor

I believe the time has come for Alberta to consider allowing the use of power foot snare devices for registered trappers on their traplines to harvest their bear quota. The Select-A-Catch and other foot snare devices have proven to be both humane and safe, as well as effective.

Black bear populations in Alberta are very robust to say the least, and under-harvested, leading to an imbalance in our provincial wildlife management as black bears are truly the apex predator of much of the lands.

At the very least, I think it would be a very good idea for the GOA to allow/hire trappers in the caribou lands to harvest bears via foot snares to bring black bear populations into check at least on the calving grounds and give the caribou a break from the black bears in the bogs, whilst the wolves hang on high ground raising their pups.

Perhaps some of our registered trappers will consider this idea and pursue this idea by submitting a resolution at our fall meeting, at the very least, or send Billie and frenz to Edmonton to begin discussion on such with higher powers.

No doubt would be a fun game, to be allowed to go foot snaring black bears!
Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 AM

Didn't Stephan Forget sell a similar product? I seem to recall a foot snare for bears that was made to fit around the lip of a five-gallon pail. Bear snaring was legal in Kebec, maybe still is. Same with some of the northeast States (Maine, New Hampshire maybe?). Just imagine the catch circle.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:20 AM

It's legal in sask and yes everything in reach gets destroyed including most trees.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:44 PM

Would they have to legalize dart guns so sows with cubs could be released. Just asking.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:22 AM

Theres a market for all sizes of bears. Definitely save alot of moose and elk calves.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:36 AM
AO Sponsor

Wildlife officers have dart guns and perhaps would love something as such to spice up their day in the spring?
Old 05-28-2020, 03:20 PM

So asked a buddy of mine in Ontario how he releases sow bears with cubs in the spring.

Full sheet of plywood, cut a slot in the bottom to fit a bear paw. Attach a handle to each end of plywood on same side. Invite two friends (they cannot know what your doing). Two friends hold the plywood and walk forward, bear stretches away from approaching wall, foot goes into slot and you cut the cable off.

Next time it happens my friend says you do the same thing but need to invite two different friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 07:29 PM

Sounds like a good idea. I’m thinking I’d like to try that. No one say anything but I’m going to invite Marty and hunter Dave to hold the plywood. 🤫
Old 05-29-2020, 01:23 AM
AO Sponsor

Davey seems to have runned off
Old 05-29-2020, 07:16 PM

I told everyone not to warn him. 🤣
Old 05-31-2020, 03:06 PM
AO Sponsor

Trapping black bear with power foot-snares IS LEGAL in the following provinces:

Saskatchewan
Quebec - Legal/Open in fall season, not spring
Ontario - Note "Open Quota" on black bears in many areas

Might as well be legalized in Alberta at least away from the core grizzly habitat.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:05 AM
Banned

Taking a piece of plywood to release a bear sounds like a great idea. Please video it for posterity.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:07 PM

Dave I promise, if I can get you and Marty to hold the plywood we will make sure it gets videoed.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:50 PM

Default Select-A-Catch Bear Power Foot Snare Now Available in Canada

Bet you would get a Million views on you tube. What do they get paid per view?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk