Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2019, 07:57 PM
Banned

I only fly fish, but certainly don't have any problem with gear fishermen. They, for the most part are just guys like me trying to enjoy an outing.
However, my experience has been that I have never seen any fly fishermen poaching while I have seen gear guys poaching many, many, many times.
It sickens me.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
There is no such silly distinction on rivers in BC --Three days ago I counted 27 anglers on one pool--about equal number of fly and spin,nobody cared it was about catching salmon.One couple from Paris released over 20 pink and chum and 5 coho,in one day, on fly rods,the spin fishers also did well----And then the heart break,the natives put out a net across the river and caught over 200 coho,That was just one net,the river cant take this.To add insult to injury they came door to door selling the salmon for $10.00 ea.There great grand children will most likely only know coho by there pictures.
BC is no different you just need more experience in different areas
Old 08-29-2019, 09:08 AM

Default fly--spin

The way I see it you want to hook and release,fly rod with barbless hooks--You want trout for the pan,fly or spin.No need to complicate a simple matter.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:57 AM

The last few years of my life I have forced myself to ask the question, is this a time to learn or a time to teach? Even an old seasoned alcoholic will look upon his junior peers as just drunks. I think in my time I have been surprised and enlightened to learn something from a new experience. Bessiedog's old 6wt will catch way more fish than the 1000 dollar rigs you see that only get used once every 2-3 years. Why is that? Bessiedog goes out fishing and makes time for his passion. That in my guess and his posts involve himself, and often his family. Who is anyone to look down his nose to see a person out pursuing his passion? Sometimes the new person doesn't need any guidance, he may need to be asked to help the seasoned fisherman out. That may be his chance to emphasize his beliefs. In my belief, you have to make time for whatever puts a grin on your face. As well as giving back, it is selfish to not impart experience and help those who need it. It sometimes involves not helping them and letting that person learn his experiences on his own. My ranching profession has taught me that it is way easier to chase a cow from the front. That means, let her follow a chop pail to a new pasture. When you get behind them and get to hollering and whistling, she usually just picks up her tail and buggers off. Let her get a little hungry and she will follow you wherever you want her to go with a little reward at the end. But sometimes, you have to know when to 'give her a kick in the butt'. Those times are harder to know or understand.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
The last few years of my life I have forced myself to ask the question, is this a time to learn or a time to teach? Even an old seasoned alcoholic will look upon his junior peers as just drunks. I think in my time I have been surprised and enlightened to learn something from a new experience. Bessiedog's old 6wt will catch way more fish than the 1000 dollar rigs you see that only get used once every 2-3 years. Why is that? Bessiedog goes out fishing and makes time for his passion. That in my guess and his posts involve himself, and often his family. Who is anyone to look down his nose to see a person out pursuing his passion? Sometimes the new person doesn't need any guidance, he may need to be asked to help the seasoned fisherman out. That may be his chance to emphasize his beliefs. In my belief, you have to make time for whatever puts a grin on your face. As well as giving back, it is selfish to not impart experience and help those who need it. It sometimes involves not helping them and letting that person learn his experiences on his own. My ranching profession has taught me that it is way easier to chase a cow from the front. That means, let her follow a chop pail to a new pasture. When you get behind them and get to hollering and whistling, she usually just picks up her tail and buggers off. Let her get a little hungry and she will follow you wherever you want her to go with a little reward at the end. But sometimes, you have to know when to 'give her a kick in the butt'. Those times are harder to know or understand.
Well thought out and said... as a shot @ those on the fly fishing pedestal of elitism ... I know of a # of kids including myself in the day who learned to fly fish with a spinning rod off the rack at Woolco and Mitchel 300 spin reel with Sears $1.49 day 10lb test bulk line with hand tied mosquito patterns and Abu Garcia fly dope. Some of these kids caught upwards of 300 fish a year in the Bow below Wildwood in Calgary, and if the fish wern't jump'n then a split shot above and a maggot on the fly below caught fish. That Mitchel on those old 10' plus cheap bamboo fly rods in the day worked magic as well.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
The notion of an 'elitist' is generally not propagated from the top-down, but rather from the bottom-up. Something is generally perceived as elitist if it takes more money, more knowledge/intelligence, and/or more privilege in general.

Fly fishing is more expensive than conventional gear. I know conventional gear can get pricey, but a fly angler walking down to the river in a cheap pair of waders, an entry fly combo, and vest is still sporting $500 worth of gear.

Fly fishing tends to require more knowledge. It tends to require more knots. And to be good at fly fishing, it is also important to understand basic entomology. It takes a great deal of grit to learn to even cast the rod on your own. This can be circumvented by spending some money on a class/guide/teacher, but this puts us back up to the first point of 'more money'.

Fly fishing tends to happen in beautiful places that take the privilege to get to. Also, most fly fishing is catch-n-release and conservation is a embedded aspect into much of fly fishing. Let's face it, fly fishing does not always catch more fish, but people will choose to do it because they enjoy it. I fully admit that I will always choose to fly fish over fishing bait, even if it means catching far fewer fish.

So, it is totally understandable that some people without the money and resources could see fly fishing as 'elitist'. And in many ways, they are not wrong in their perception. To change the perception, just be a decent human being and do not puke dogma.
^this is very well said...and I agree. I've been fly fishing for 30 years...but started with spinning gear 15 years before that. I've fished fly gear almost exclusively for most of the last 30 years if I'm being honest, but that had to do with being enthralled with it..and I kept trying to push the boundaries of what I could do with sink tips...when spinning gear would have been a far better choice. I've seen good and bad behavior with both, more with the guys using spinning gear (and float gear/centerpin). I don't think that's a slight on gear guys...I just think more people USE gear so the incidence will be greater. Life has taught me that fly/spin, city/country, eastern/western Canada~there are good/not-so-good people in all cases. lol

As a "fly guy"...it's tempting to look at what's required to do that effectively and not think the spinning guys have it easy...but...the choice TO fly fish is a decision to catch your fish the way you want to, injecting challenge where it doesn't always need to be. lol It DOES work better at certain times and on certain types of water...but the opposite can be said as well. Like the person who picks a canoe over a motorboat~both will get you across the lake, it's what you want out of the experience that sets them apart.

I'm heading north soon to target steelhead, pink salmon and chinook salmon (great lakes) on both Lake Huron, and Lake Superior tributaries. There will be a walleye component (interior lake) towards the end, but the others are the focus. Wasn't that long ago I'd have taken 2 fly rods, 2 reels, 2 extra spools with sink-tip and full sinking lines. Since (in recent years) I've decided to use the "best gear for the job no matter what"...I'll have a fly rod, an 11' float rod with a centerpin reel, a heavy spinning rod for lobbing spoons..and a lighter spinning rod for walleye. I'll have a ridiculous # of my hand tied flies, a small tackle box with spoons/spinners/crank baits, some plastics....and roe bags. Having fished up there a number of times, I believe I'll have all the bases covered for a shore-bound angler.

Would I prefer to hook/land everything on a fly rod? Yes.
Is hooking/playing a fish as much fun on spinning gear? Yes.
Is hooking/playing a fish as much fun on float gear? No, but it's too effective on migratory fish to leave it out of the equation. lol
Old 09-06-2019, 09:12 PM

I confess.
Some of my flys have propellers (Nordegg Gas Bar). I may have even put a maggot on a royal coachman.....more than once.

And furthermore.

1) The Latin name for green drake is Vertus duckus bessieii
6wt = 3006 ....I fail to see the problem.

2) Ugly flies? No body has ever shown me an Elk Hair Caddis that didn't look like belly button lint. You can't make them pretty...and if you did they probably wouldn't catch.

3) I took up spey last year....wouldn't be caught dead with a lowly dry fly fisherman. Those guys are just plain uncouth!
Old 09-09-2019, 01:46 PM

I've tied willow leafs and small spoons and foam on mine to make them act like a rapala and to make them do a herring roll, I have some propellers I think, don't recall having tried those yet. Tried wiggly tails and rattlers and a few other things that are probably far more related to gear fishing than fly fishing, so to speak.
I did run into one flyshop owner who thought giving a kid a thumbcaster with a worm and a bobber on the end was no way to teach a kid anything about fishing. I didn't buy much of anything off him after listening to that rant. One thing being biased, because that is your business, that part I could have lived with, but, he was adamant and pretty condescending about it, he was pretty much a dick about it.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
There is no such silly distinction on rivers in BC --Three days ago I counted 27 anglers on one pool--about equal number of fly and spin,nobody cared it was about catching salmon.One couple from Paris released over 20 pink and chum and 5 coho,in one day, on fly rods,the spin fishers also did well----And then the heart break,the natives put out a net across the river and caught over 200 coho,That was just one net,the river cant take this.To add insult to injury they came door to door selling the salmon for $10.00 ea.There great grand children will most likely only know coho by there pictures.

Was that the KitimAt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 04:48 AM

Years ago, when I was new to fly fishing, I was visiting family in northern BC. I went to Tchesinkut lake out of convenience to fish from shore for a few hours. It wasn't going well, I had misread the wind, I wasn't very good to begin with and really had no idea what presentation to use.
Then a guy appeared just down shore from me. He opened the bale and fired a lure out into the surf. BANG! He was winching in a beautiful 20" rainbow. Then on his second cast; BANG again. I believe it only took him six casts to reach his limit of five.
I was jealous, too jealous to talk to this guy. My dad was laughing fairly persistently and went over to the guy. They talked, the guy gave him a rainbow, then tossed his lure in and BANG again.
Apparently that guy fly fished that same spot I was in on a calm day, but if it got choppy a Crocodile was the only way to go.
We got to eat a delicious Lakes Country rainbow and I learned that I should be prepared to use every arrow in my quiver.

-Will
Old 04-06-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
Years ago, when I was new to fly fishing, I was visiting family in northern BC. I went to Tchesinkut lake out of convenience to fish from shore for a few hours. It wasn't going well, I had misread the wind, I wasn't very good to begin with and really had no idea what presentation to use.
Then a guy appeared just down shore from me. He opened the bale and fired a lure out into the surf. BANG! He was winching in a beautiful 20" rainbow. Then on his second cast; BANG again. I believe it only took him six casts to reach his limit of five.
I was jealous, too jealous to talk to this guy. My dad was laughing fairly persistently and went over to the guy. They talked, the guy gave him a rainbow, then tossed his lure in and BANG again.
Apparently that guy fly fished that same spot I was in on a calm day, but if it got choppy a Crocodile was the only way to go.
We got to eat a delicious Lakes Country rainbow and I learned that I should be prepared to use every arrow in my quiver.

-Will

I know that lake well and actually lived a 20min away from it. There is tricks to that lake for both gear and fly fishing. If you know where to go and what to use according to the conditions gear or fly doesn’t matter unless it’s Lakers. I actually used to catch Lakers on my fly rod near the island. There is way better things to use than a croc in that lake

Personally I use both gear and fly there is definitely times one out shines the other. But in my opinion most fishermen handicap them self through limiting their techniques no matter if it’s fly or gear fishing

If your fishing in the bulky valley again there is way better places to fish. Also don’t get two caught up with what most of the locals use they think an apex or T50 are the best things for everywhere
Old 04-06-2020, 07:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I will fish any style anywhere anytime to catch!....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-06-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I know that lake well and actually lived a 20min away from it. There is tricks to that lake for both gear and fly fishing. If you know where to go and what to use according to the conditions gear or fly doesn’t matter unless it’s Lakers. I actually used to catch Lakers on my fly rod near the island. There is way better things to use than a croc in that lake

Personally I use both gear and fly there is definitely times one out shines the other. But in my opinion most fishermen handicap them self through limiting their techniques no matter if it’s fly or gear fishing

If your fishing in the bulky valley again there is way better places to fish. Also don’t get two caught up with what most of the locals use they think an apex or T50 are the best things for everywhere
Where's the bulky valley, one of your secret places
Old 04-06-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I will fish any style anywhere anytime to catch!....
OMG, and you probably drink AGD if offered
Old 04-06-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Where's the bulky valley, one of your secret places
You love my Typos lol

Bulkley valley take highway 16 and go west
Old 04-06-2020, 09:27 AM

Almost 40 years ago, I took a one-day 'Learn to Flyfish' course from Country Pleasures Fly Shop in Calgary. I had never held a fly-rod before that. At the end of that day, I bought their 'beginners package' with a cheap Browning rod and Pfleuger reel, and that started my addiction! Some people golf, some spend all their money at the bar, I spend it on my fly-fishing. Fly tying, rod building, fishing destination vacations - the works. But I'm still happy to take a spinning rod out for a troll, chase salmon on my beautiful mooching rod, or drag halibut off the bottom with my trust 'pool cue' and Penn reel - especially if there's kids involved. I find it interesting that although I've never had an adult ask me to teach them how to spin-fish, I've had plenty of adult friends and aquaintances ask me to teach them how to fly fish, and have been responsible for starting more than few addictions. The guys I fish with don't seem to look down on gear-guys, or up to fly-guys. Some of us prefer Chevs, some Fords. I see the odd elitist in both camps out there - usually younger, competitive guys with something to prove, but we older farts are generally past that, and just enjoy seeing others enjoy themselves.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You love my Typos lol

Bulkley valley take highway 16 and go west
I knew that, just seeing if your spell check still works! A drift on the Bulkley is still on my bucket list; just to watch a >10 lb steelie swirl after a skated Steelhead Bee would be enough! Any suggestions for guides?
Old 04-06-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I knew that, just seeing if your spell check still works! A drift on the Bulkley is still on my bucket list; just to watch a >10 lb steelie swirl after a skated Steelhead Bee would be enough! Any suggestions for guides?
No worries I have thick skin and can take some friendly abuse lol

Don’t know any of the guides well enough to recommend. The only steelhead fishing I did when I lived there was a little on the Skeena and Morice. Only fished the bulkley once for coho and did not do too well. The few diehard steelhead guys I met out there were mostly about the skeena

Never been big on steelhead they just don’t do it for me. I fished mostly Lakers and rainbows when living there
Old 04-06-2020, 11:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
OMG, and you probably drink AGD if offered
Cold....served in a cold mug on a hot summer day......maybe

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-07-2020, 11:36 PM

I started out ishing with a spinning rod and fished that was into my late 20s. The thing I love about fly fishing is the real. Using my fingers as the drag. Nothing like a good knuckle smack when that fish takes a good run. But this spring might have me cronimid fishing with a spinning rod . I might have fish from shore where a back cast is to difficult. Kind of tough to haul my boat into the lakes I fish if the gates are closed. Was thinking about a switch rod for croni fishing from shore but spending money on new gear might be foolish right now. Not sure if that’s even a practical idea. Hopefully things ease up by the end of May.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:19 AM

I agree. I'm mostly a fly fisherman but occasionally spin cast depending on the situation. Some fly fisherman need to relax with their elitist attitude.

I know a lot of fly fisherman that dislike SOME spin fisherman in particular. The spin casters I'm referring to are the ones who go to catch and release only backcountry rivers with big treble hooks and then chuck the fish like a football back into the river. I've seen it myself and despite the fact that it legal, it's definitely not in the spirit of proper catch and release. Not uncommon to see this and then walk past an hour later to see a dead trout lying sideways at the bottom of a pool.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishClimbHunt View Post
I agree. I'm mostly a fly fisherman but occasionally spin cast depending on the situation. Some fly fisherman need to relax with their elitist attitude.

I know a lot of fly fisherman that dislike SOME spin fisherman in particular. The spin casters I'm referring to are the ones who go to catch and release only backcountry rivers with big treble hooks and then chuck the fish like a football back into the river. I've seen it myself and despite the fact that it legal, it's definitely not in the spirit of proper catch and release. Not uncommon to see this and then walk past an hour later to see a dead trout lying sideways at the bottom of a pool.
Poor fish handling is not exclusive to any form of fishermen. I have crossed paths with my fair share of fly fishermen with extremely poor habitat too. Fly fishermen using too light of a leader breaking of multiple fish in a day or over playing fish during hot summer periods is just as common

I would like to see an improvement in C&R fishermen of all styles and the issues are prevalent within all fishing styles
Old 04-08-2020, 12:05 PM

I could care less except when people run gear down that others are using , or the way they fish.
I've run #20 gnats with 2weight rods on tiny streams, trolled big white polar bear streamers for lakers with a 10 weight, chucked and ducked massive steamers and weighted nymphs for giant jacks, fished custom steamers for walleye, fished for roosterfish and Dorado in Mexico and quite often the same day used gear ranging from light spinning to heavy bait caster and trolling reals.

Who cares as long as you are having fun, be it with a cheap fiberglass CT 8weight , Top shelf custom shop ordered graphite, or an Ambassador 6000 and a medium weight bait caster, and yoou treat the fish with respect, follow the regulations and leave the water the way you found it.
Cat
Old 04-08-2020, 12:05 PM

It's amazing how well a good spey rod will throw out a worm baited pickerel rig....
Old 04-08-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I could care less except when people run gear down that others are using , or the way they fish.
I've run #20 gnats with 2weight rods on tiny streams, trolled big white polar bear streamers for lakers with a 10 weight, chucked and ducked massive steamers and weighted nymphs for giant jacks, fished custom steamers for walleye, fished for roosterfish and Dorado in Mexico and quite often the same day used gear ranging from light spinning to heavy bait caster and trolling reals.

Who cares as long as you are having fun, be it with a cheap fiberglass CT 8weight , Top shelf custom shop ordered graphite, or an Ambassador 6000 and a medium weight bait caster, and yoou treat the fish with respect, follow the regulations and leave the water the way you found it.
Cat
Your last paragraph is bang on
Old 04-08-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Poor fish handling is not exclusive to any form of fishermen. I have crossed paths with my fair share of fly fishermen with extremely poor habitat too. Fly fishermen using too light of a leader breaking of multiple fish in a day or over playing fish during hot summer periods is just as common

I would like to see an improvement in C&R fishermen of all styles and the issues are prevalent within all fishing styles

Very true, I've seen some poor fish handling from fly fisherman as well.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishClimbHunt View Post
Very true, I've seen some poor fish handling from fly fisherman as well.
Yeah, like boasting about landing a >18 inch trout with a 3 wt rod... "took about 15 minutes but got it to the net...whoops, looks not to good here"
Old 04-10-2020, 10:03 AM

What's wrong with AGD?? I like that stuff!!!

I actually think its just a re-labelled Co-op Gold... which I also like.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:22 PM

I recently picked up fly fishing (2 years) now and I have respect for both styles. There is nothing like bringing in a nice fish on a fly after you have matched the hatch. Both ways are fun, and like some have said "Whatever floats your boat" and gets you outside enjoying the water. Cheers & tight lines.