Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 02:55 PM

Default What new Sage 5 wt??

I'm a big fan to this day of my old Sage VPS 590-2. It was my first fly rod 20-odd years ago and has been there and back with me. It's starting to show its age, missing an end butt cap, and some abrasions in the finish here and there.

I just replaced it with a Sage Pulse 590-4 when I dropped into the W2W sale at The Fishing Hole. I was mostly just there to browse, and this ended up being a impulse buy of sorts, though I really do want a new 5 wt. Now I'm thinking I probably should do some actual research and get it right. It's going to wear either an Islander LX 3.4 or an IR3, both of which I grabbed at the same sale LAST year, lol.

So, I'm not nearly up to speed on current and recently retired Sage models. Should I stick with the Pulse, or a Mod, or a Bolt, or an Accel...? You get the idea. I do own a new Bolt 6wt that I've yet to actually fish, so can't say if it truly fishes well for me or not. All feel pretty good in hand, but until you're strung up and casting it's hard to get a feel for it. I can get a similar deal as the Pulse on a 5wt Bolt or Accel, the Mod will run a bit more.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:45 PM
Banned

Depends on what you want to use the rod for. Myself, unless I'm lake fishing or fishing big rivers, I pretty much use 3 or 4 wt. rods. Since you already have a Bolt 6 wt. I think you could go with a 4 wt. rod. The 4 wt. Accel is a nice dry fly rod but also strong enough for smaller subsurface stuff. Nowadays I think we put too much stock in the big brand names. There are a lot of good rods available that are much less than $500 or $1000+.
Can't say anything bad about your selection of reels, although I try not to put a reel on a rod that cost less than the reel. Hahahaha! Hard to beat the look and sound of an Islander.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:08 PM

Go for the 5 wt, probably the most versatile wt for trout in lakes and rivers.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:14 PM

Find a Sage Z-Axis 5wt and throw your other rods out. Greatest rod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk