Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-09-2018, 07:41 AM

Nice looking package GH, it looks like you have things working out in your corner of the world.

We put together a 22 caliber rimfire shoot this weekend, 22 Mag, 17, and the old school 22.

Savages, Rugers, Winchesters, Remingtons, CZ's, and the world famous Cooeys. Ha.

Lots of 25 meter sight inns, then the 50 to 200 meters, the CCI Stingers work the best at this distance, not so much for the Winchester frugal ammo,,, the T-22 Target ammo worked pretty good from 75 to 150.

It was fun to try out the magnum rimfires, but the $7 to $10 per box starts to drive the costs up,,, this is not saying that the quality 22 ammo is expensive which it can be,,, but the selection of fair quality target ammo at $3.65 to $4.50 adds a fraction of value over the days shooting.

$40 to $50 bucks worth of shooting is alot fun when chasing the V ring in the Grand Prairie winds and rain, Ha. Gusts up to 20 /30 kpr made things challanging.

We finished up the day with the big bores, it's always fun throwing a few things into the mix of good times,,, the plinking rifles fill this gap of good times.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Was out Friday eve with the mkll ringing the 8" gong at 400 from prone was fun. Hit 65 out of 100. Federal HV target ammo
Old 09-09-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Was out Friday eve with the mkll ringing the 8" gong at 400 from prone was fun. Hit 65 out of 100. Federal HV target ammo
I thought about it, and am amazed. Nice shooting!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-09-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Specs of scope & rail?
Barrel length?
Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Specs of scope & rail?
Barrel length?
Lol you will laugh at my set up.....stock heavy barrel mkll. Bedded,and epoxy/ shot added to the stock to increase weight.accutrigger tuned to lowest setting ( dont rember weight off hand but its pretty light)Old tasco 6-24 with mil dot reticle.( got lucky it tracks 100% correct) in Burris z rings with 40 moa added. Scope is quite blury on the outer edges but what do you expect from a 120$ scope. I shot off a harris bipod with rear sqeeze bag and i sorted ammo based off weight and rim thickness. Friday was perfectly calm with gusts below 2mph from 6 o'clock.

I'll be out again when conditions are favourable...hope to have a better run...im kinda off and on again as the last time i was out I went 20/100 @ 400yds. My goal is to get closer to 50% hit rate 100% of the time at 4 and 500 yds on an 8" gong. Some days I have it some days I dont:-)

Last edited by obsessed1; 09-09-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:50 AM

I have an un-fired, Mark II TR with 22" heavy varmint barrel, which I am currently rebuilding for LR.

I would use Burris Z rings if they were available with tip-off mounting, but do not want to permanently mount rings to the receiver, as I prefer ability to use any of my quality NXS scopes, which have good vertical range of adjustment.

I would prefer to mount a 30 moa P-rail to match the Ruger Presision Rimfire, but AFAIK only the EGW 20 moa is available. I suspect I can modify it to 30 moa with a dremel before epoxy bedding to the receiver.

I have modified the Boyds Pro Varmint stock for better fit, but have not completed epoxy bedding the action.
Did you epoxy bed the complete action? install custom pillars & screws?
Do you have any suggestions for bedding?

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Nice looking package GH, it looks like you have things working out in your corner of the world.

We put together a 22 caliber rimfire shoot this weekend, 22 Mag, 17, and the old school 22.

Savages, Rugers, Winchesters, Remingtons, CZ's, and the world famous Cooeys. Ha.

Lots of 25 meter sight inns, then the 50 to 200 meters, the CCI Stingers work the best at this distance, not so much for the Winchester frugal ammo,,, the T-22 Target ammo worked pretty good from 75 to 150.

It was fun to try out the magnum rimfires, but the $7 to $10 per box starts to drive the costs up,,, this is not saying that the quality 22 ammo is expensive which it can be,,, but the selection of fair quality target ammo at $3.65 to $4.50 adds a fraction of value over the days shooting.

$40 to $50 bucks worth of shooting is alot fun when chasing the V ring in the Grand Prairie winds and rain, Ha. Gusts up to 20 /30 kpr made things challanging.

We finished up the day with the big bores, it's always fun throwing a few things into the mix of good times,,, the plinking rifles fill this gap of good times.
^sounds like a great time! In spite of the 30km/h wind gusts yesterday, I brought that same rifle (Anschutz) out to take advantage of the 16C weather! Big change from the 35C weather all last week, with humidity boosting that to "feeling like 42C" according to the meteorologists here. Anyhow, same gun/same bench/same spot...so no need to post any photos..but I did try some new ammo types;

Lapua Center X
RWS R50
Eley "Action"
Eley HV/HP
Hornady 22LR "Varmint Express"

OF those, the R50 showed real promise and will go to round 2...but the SK Rifle Match still punched the smallest groups @ 50 yards. With paper punching overwith, I dismantled some pine shelves that were no longer needed in my daughter's room. Starting with the wooden pegs (chipped those away top-to-bottom) Lots more 22 action this fall for sure. I plan on moving out to 75 yards..maybe further. I haven't tried that many...but have yet to find an HV ammo this gun loves.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=qwert;3838681]I have an un-fired, Mark II TR with 22" heavy varmint barrel, which I am currently rebuilding for LR.

I would use Burris Z rings if they were available with tip-off mounting, but do not want to permanently mount rings to the receiver, as I prefer ability to use any of my quality NXS scopes, which have good vertical range of adjustment.

I would prefer to mount a 30 moa P-rail to match the Ruger Presision Rimfire, but AFAIK only the EGW 20 moa is available. I suspect I can modify it to 30 moa with a dremel before epoxy bedding to the receiver.

I have modified the Boyds Pro Varmint stock for better fit, but have not completed epoxy bedding the action.
Did you epoxy bed the complete action? install custom pillars & screws?
Do you have any suggestions for bedding?

My rifle is a std heavy barrel mkll stainless. Accutrigger tunned to 32 ounces ( 2lb) bedded ( devcon)with my own hand made aluminum pillars. Bottom metal is stock but i had planned at one point to install aftermarket metal, just never confirmed which one.....then just move on to other projects:-) the forestock has 2 steel rods epoxied into place with about 1 pound or so of lead shot mixed in.barrel is fully floated ( i used 4 layer of tape fron 1" in front of lug to tip of forestock to keep barrel completely free floated. I mounted an older 6-24 tasco (mil dot) which trackes perfectly despite being quite hazy around the outer edges....what can I expect for a 100$ scope...rings are Burris signature z rings with the 20 moa inserts. I did not do the math on the spacing of the rings so I'm not positive on exact moa gain but the scope will zero at 50 yds and I still have enough vertical to get a smidge over 400 yds with the turret. Mils allow aim points further out.

In past years I played around with tuners of all types and had amazing success with rubber o rings spaced out the length of the barrel but the tuning would need to be adjusted if ammo was switched or even if weight / rim thickness sorted rounds were used so I gave up on the whole tuning deal:-) however with properly tuned barrel I have several 50 yd one hole 5 shot groups.

This gun shoots very well off bags with front bag about 4" out front of mag well but is only what I consider so so with bipod mounted.

OH I do have a strap on cheek riser with a few pieces of foam under to achieve proper cheek weld with the tiny stock that comes on this gun.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:49 PM

When shooting for accuracy is it worth sorting your 22 ammo by rim thickness? I have read that different thicknesses in the rim can result in significant differences in velocity’s due to the increase in powder ignition with a harder firing pin strike on a thicker rim.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338edge View Post
When shooting for accuracy is it worth sorting your 22 ammo by rim thickness? I have read that different thicknesses in the rim can result in significant differences in velocity’s due to the increase in powder ignition with a harder firing pin strike on a thicker rim.
Yes first thing I do with a new brick is sort into batches the based off rim thickness
Old 01-29-2019, 09:54 PM

Lots of 22 rimfire this winter.

Rabbits galore. Ha

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wyt2JRaNoqvw43xBA

We've spent every weekend scouting out trails, sight seeing and general plinking of course.

I switched rifles this summer from the old bolt action to the semi auto,,, the plan was to up-grade the barrel, but the dang thing is a shooter out of the box.

Most of my past time is stand alone shooting, good old free hand like the old days.

It took a few days to get the sling set and the shooting arm planted, the range finding reticle is definitely a bonus from 25 feet on out to 200 meters.

Ice fishing is going good this year, along with the winter cut-line Quad tracks. Year 4 of running the snow, super easy getting around.

My close hunting partner and I helped another friend of ours on his trap line this winter,,, then we headed to BC to check out the old Cougar grounds.

This has been one mild winter to take on the great out-doors fore sure.

Looks like we'll need another 3 pales of ammo before the winter season raps up

👍
Old 01-30-2019, 06:19 AM

On the theme of Long-Range rimfire: putting this together for our new Rimfire Range this spring. CZ 455. I expect it more challenging that our big boomers at a mile.
And partner will be shooting a Vudoo in a Greyboe chassis...Hopefully we can get out there. Range will have potential to 700 yds.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-30-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
On the theme of Long-Range rimfire: putting this together for our new Rimfire Range this spring. CZ 455. I expect it more challenging that our big boomers at a mile.
And partner will be shooting a Vudoo in a Greyboe chassis...Hopefully we can get out there. Range will have potential to 700 yds.

[IMG][/IMG]
Wow that's taking RF LR to the next level. Great build
Old 01-30-2019, 08:49 AM
Shooting Xs

Long range precision rimfire shooting has seen some real growth recently with organised matches in Alberta locally and across Canada.
Project Maple Seed ,Canadian Precision Rimfire Series have shoots scheduled for this summer in S.Alta and Southern Alberta Precision Rifle League had a couple shoots last year ,have not heard of any thing scheduled from them for this year as of yet.
CPRS and SAPRL are PRS style type of matches.

http://rimfireprecision.ca/

https://mapleseedrifleman.com/

Links for info on organisations if anyone is interested.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 AM

Right on, thanks for the heads up on the 22 RF stuff.

Deffinatly frugal to shoot,,, and fun for family and friends.

Our PRS stuff takes place in the gopher patch,,, Ha.

Nothing like taking on the evil do'ers. LOL

I'll plug away with the factory Ruger, then change out the barrel / trigger / optics later on. It's sure easy to pack on all the great out-door adventures.

Normally we pop off 5 or 7 bricks per weekend,,, lots of different shooting positions,,, the shooting sticks come in handy once in awhile,,, but we stick to mostly free hand stuff.

Keeps us in check for the hunting season.

Oh Yha,,, good times at every turn !!!
Hopefully I get some Trad archery in as well.

👍
Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 PM

As gopher hunters the wife and I push our cz.22's to 100 yards all the time but seldom further due to lack of lethality pass that point.

I use to test ammo at 25,50,75 and 100yards to "weed" out the poor stuff and only shoot the ammo that produced the best groups at 100yds. Took a lot of time and was expensive (20-30) different brands. Now I only shoot at 100 yards, most hyper, wisbang ammo doesn't make it past 50 yards so I no longer waste my time with it.

Generally in all my CZ rim fire rifles CCI mini mag takes top billing. We don't shoot match stuff because we are varmint hunters not target shooters. Would our rifles reach out to 300 plus yards? yes would I win any prizes? maybe. But if you could get 20 guys/gal's to throw a hundred bucks each into the kitty and have a shoot off at 300yds with factory, none modified rifles, winner takes all would be eye opening to say the least.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 AM

Sweet looking package Dmay.

That looks like a shooter unit.

I had a Target Anschutz rifle in my younger years when we had the Lacombe Alberta in-door range,,, the town shut it down and the club ended. 100+,,, about 60 of us were full time shooters.

Those were some good times fore sure. Sad to see the good times like these disappear,,, the younger generation will miss out on this.

Good to see the Maple Leaf program coming back. A chance for young and old to share in the good times.

It's a go for us this weekend, put on a few kms on the Tracked up units,,, place out some targets, big bon-fire, lawn chair, tarps for a wind break.

Smokey dog cook with a afternoon nap. Ha.
1200+++ rounds ready to rock the weekend away.
Pick-up truck Camping close to the riding area is a bonus.

3 days and 2 nights in the play ground of endless. Hopefully the Wolves are on the move.

👍
Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 PM

I'm ready for 700 yards! I'll first need to install my adjustable ERA-TAC mount for the required 175 moa of elevation adjustment....... And yes, I think 700 yards with the rimfire will be a much tougher challenge than 1760+++ yards with a Snipetac or BMG. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the return of warm weather so I can properly test some ammo. Perhaps by that time the new SK "Longrange" ammo will be available for purchase......
Old 01-31-2019, 09:14 PM
Banned

There was a post and picture of a challenge or competition using 22lr on an 8" plate. You had to have three hits. The guy that "won" hit three times on the plate at 440 yards. For a 22lr, that's impressive. 700 yards? I'm waiting for pictures because that will be something to see. I think it's possible but VERY hard to do.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post

I'm ready for 700 yards! I'll first need to install my adjustable ERA-TAC mount for the required 175 moa of elevation adjustment....... And yes, I think 700 yards with the rimfire will be a much tougher challenge than 1760+++ yards with a Snipetac or BMG. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the return of warm weather so I can properly test some ammo. Perhaps by that time the new SK "Longrange" ammo will be available for purchase......
What are you running for a set up? That looks like quite the rig.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:25 PM

Ya, 700 yards might be a tad ambitious (or perhaps impossible)....but I won't know until we try! It has to be consistent though. Peppering a target 50 times and only hitting once or twice is not something I would call a success!

My setup is a Vudoo V22 in a Greyboe Ridgeback. 30 moa rail with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS. Once I start to stretch out I'll be using my ERA-TAC scope mount, a LRA bipod, and a 4AW adjustable rear bag rest. I'll probably try with SK Match or Center X as they seem to be the most accurate thus far.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
As gopher hunters the wife and I push our cz.22's to 100 yards all the time but seldom further due to lack of lethality pass that point.
Hey 6.5~you may have read my comments on longer-range gophering with a 22 (here, or CGN) but with my CZ452, CCI Blazers shoot very well. They're inexpensive solids, but I run them through my Neal B Waltz die to add a gaping hollow point. Takes time to do gopher qtys, but NO questioning the lethality...be it 15 yards, or well over 200. I've run over 8,000 rounds through mine, and it empties gophers out pretty good!

I never found that Stingers shot as accurately in my gun, but when I discovered that the least expensive HV 22 ammo CCI makes shot so well, I bought a lottery ticket. lol

BTW~re: the 8K qty, it was more like 8,500 hundred but in fairness, I haven't used it all. 2016 trip~shot almost 4,500 rounds in a week if memory serves...so I prepped another 4,000+ for my 2018 trip...which was about 2 days longer. Shot maybe 700-800 rounds...so yes..I have lots for my next go out there.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post

^wow man, VERY slick set-up. Would love to see that in action!
Old 02-04-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Hey 6.5~you may have read my comments on longer-range gophering with a 22 (here, or CGN) but with my CZ452, CCI Blazers shoot very well. They're inexpensive solids, but I run them through my Neal B Waltz die to add a gaping hollow point. Takes time to do gopher qtys, but NO questioning the lethality...be it 15 yards, or well over 200. I've run over 8,000 rounds through mine, and it empties gophers out pretty good!

I never found that Stingers shot as accurately in my gun, but when I discovered that the least expensive HV 22 ammo CCI makes shot so well, I bought a lottery ticket. lol

BTW~re: the 8K qty, it was more like 8,500 hundred but in fairness, I haven't used it all. 2016 trip~shot almost 4,500 rounds in a week if memory serves...so I prepped another 4,000+ for my 2018 trip...which was about 2 days longer. Shot maybe 700-800 rounds...so yes..I have lots for my next go out there.
After a 100 yds I prefer my center fires...I hate walking wounded. But I will be checking out your idea. CCI Mini mags set me back about $12 a hundred not to bad but after a few thousand rounds it does add up.
Plus if I could get consistent kills over a hundred yards with the .22's I would not have any excuses to buy some of those pretty guns that come up for sale on here from time to time.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
After a 100 yds I prefer my center fires...I hate walking wounded. But I will be checking out your idea. CCI Mini mags set me back about $12 a hundred not to bad but after a few thousand rounds it does add up.
Plus if I could get consistent kills over a hundred yards with the .22's I would not have any excuses to buy some of those pretty guns that come up for sale on here from time to time.....
Hey 6.5~if were getting allot of crawlers, I'd have switched plans/calibers. The hollow points are very large when maxed-out on that Waltz die but in the interest of transparency, we mostly shot gophers in the 30-90 yard range. I feel an obligation to make these shoots as "productive" as they can be..since we're guests on these properties FOR this purpose. With that said, some spots require long shots...and for sport, we make a point of seeing just how far we can push it. I've literally anchored gophers at well over 200 yards using this modified ammo, and with a witness. In S. Alberta wind...it sure ain't happening on every shot though! lol (the hits that is) In fact, at one spot in the spring of 2018...I remember a day with so much wind that 1/10 shots (maybe) would find it's target. lol I remember on the longest shots...the CZ going off, seeing the gopher drop, then a moment later...the dull "thup" sound of the hit finally reaching us. Fun for a few hours, then back to mowing down closer ones.

I'm no great shot btw, and realize lobbing little 22 rounds so far in high winds is a bit nonsensical...but in spite of the poor hit/miss ratio...BOY was it satisfying when you did connect. I never attributed hits to skill either btw, it was a good rifle, a medicore scope, cheap ammo I've practiced a ton with...and a guy with child-like enthusiasm at the trigger! lol

Agreed~nothing takes gophers apart like centerfires, and if money were no object...I'd be out every year with my .223 and 17 Hornet to compliment the 22LR. My finances (almost) allow for a budget-minded, rimfire-centric trip about every 2 years. I did have a buddy from Alberta join us one day with his .223, .308, 45-70 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Everything except the 45-70 had scopes that cost more than my first car did, so seeing gophers come apart in HD (especially with the .223) was nothing short of spectacular.

I need a job in Alberta. lol
Old 02-05-2019, 10:43 AM

I had my Vudoo out to 300M on my first range trip and even using Eley Tenex you could see how the velocity spread of the ammo affects the hit ratio.

I think it it was 13 mils or something like that to get out there.

Once you get out past that distance I think you are pretty much chucking them out there and hoping.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:01 AM

That's too bad.....I was hoping they would fly a little further! Maybe when it warms up you might get out there a little further. But if it's a spray and pray type thing then it's not worth it I guess.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:58 AM

Looks like another 22 rimfire and full bore shooting weekend.

Most of today is ranging the plinker from 100 to 300 for gopher badger season coming up,,, then switch over to free hand full bore.

Nothing like staying on top of the big game plan this fall. Ha

Full time job you know,,, what's not to like about shooting all season long. TV sucks goats milk,,, so the friends and family decided to join in on good times.

Oh Yha

👍
Old 02-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Bring Food. Ha

Yuppers, day 2 of good times even though it's another -36c in the North,,, oh,,, and dress warm.

Yesterday was an eye opener for both rifles,,, lots of free hand 22 rimfire plinking,,, then the 400 and 700 meter Mid-Bore,,, it was a bit tricky getting things planted,,, the second volley and beyond went down with out a hitch.

Five / 5 shoot groups were kinda all over the map shooting off the bypods planted on a 2x4... At least the solid rear bag kept things in check,,, 2 boolitz out of 25 found their way into the V ring,,, the 23 left overs patterned them selves around the outer edges,,, the furthest was 17" off,,, not bad for a factory budget rifle.

The 10/22 was spot on over the whole day,,, 100, 200, with a bit of 300's.

Today is 22 rimfire day fore sure. Chain Saw and lawn chair time,,, big Bon-Fire,,, and lots of coffee,,, must remember to bring Smokey dogs for late night lunch.

The rest of the gang is going to pass today's shoot since they aren't Keen on cold temps,,, oh well,,, the main thing is that at least 1 fellow gets to experiment the day away.

Oh Yha,,, any day frozen is better than 2 days of doing nothing. Ha

👍
Old 02-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Banned

Man there are some fine looking rifles here fellas. I’m putting a cheap one together for plinking right now, a CZ 455 Varmint, just bought a Cabelas Covenant 4-16x44 ffp for it and I’m ordering a Boyd’s pro varmint stock for it tomorrow. If I get to liking it I might get something fancy like you fellas are shooting.