Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2016, 02:01 PM

Default 1997 Ford Ranger, Ext Cab 5-speed Motor

Good Day Everyone.

In a bit of a bind with the above truck.

Looking for a motor or ideas for the above. Cheaper than buying another vehicle and I just had the clutch, slave and master cylinder done to the tune of $1600 on it. What I have now is an almost rust free truck, manual 5-speed, in good to great condition with a loud knock from one of the pistons (or whatever). I know little about vehicles so you people who do, no hate messages because of my shortcomings please?

Question. Is there somewhere in Calgary I can find a motor for this? I have looked and come up empty. Would it be cheaper to have this one re-built? Currently, my shop mechanic has found a motor with 200,000km for around $1700 + installation. I would prefer something with less kms or a re-built but have no idea what I would be looking at cost wise. I assume the loud knocking that I hear as it revs or idles isn't a good sign.

If there is someone out there who can help out with advice or even an offer, I sure would appreciate it. PM me if preferred.
Thanks......FHD
Old 10-31-2016, 02:56 PM

No wreckers had any good used? If one wrecker has nothing, they generally will tell you who has. Rebuilds are ok but big $$$. Kijiji always seems to have someone wrecking their own vehicle. Check the auto parts section. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy View Post
Looking for a motor or ideas for the above. Cheaper than buying another vehicle and I just had the clutch, slave and master cylinder done to the tune of $1600 on it. What I have now is an almost rust free truck, manual 5-speed, in good to great condition with a loud knock from one of the pistons (or whatever). Would it be cheaper to have this one re-built? Currently, my shop mechanic has found a motor with 200,000km for around $1700 + installation. I would prefer something with less kms or a re-built but have no idea what I would be looking at cost wise. I assume the loud knocking that I hear as it revs or idles isn't a good sign.
IMO do not let sunk costs effect your decision to repair. That money is gone, if it added value to vehicle great but that's it's only consideration. But it didn't really add a lot of value. Most of the Rangers from that era have clutches and hydraulics and some are newer.

So what is the vehicle really worth? Hard to say if it really is in excellent condition, new paint and looking showroom good maybe $4K if you spend the time to sell it to the right buyer. More realistic is $3K.

200K engine is not low mileage (it would be in my fleet but I wouldn't pay someone to install it). That engine in that truck makes the truck worth maybe 3.5K, maybe less than 2K if you wait until it too has a problem or there is more rust than you can see. If you were doing the work it might be worth it but paying someone else to do that work may not be cost effective. Actual cost of such work can vary a lot, there is risk to replacing an engine, many other issues can crop up and it's time consuming to make the work look as good as original.

I would suggest selling the truck as it is, might get $1600 for it if it really is in good condition. Put it on the market and find out.

In the mean time take the money you would have spent, the $1700, and look for another vehicle. You can get a nice one for about $3.5K
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Rang...howcpo=ShowCPO

If you like Rangers consider keeping your old one for parts, maybe start working on it yourself.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:40 PM

I'd get a real good idea what exactly is wrong with the engine & the knock that you describe, before swapping major stuff out. If its something relatively small, you'll be able to exploit the value in the rest of the truck for quite some time. If not, then you'll know what you're up against financially.

We don't know what your mechanic has found, and can only assume it's serious enough to swap engines. If so I'd just cut it loose for 1600.- like the previous poster advised, or put in a new long block if the rest of the vehicle is in stellar shape. But I wouldn't sink any labour money into replacing one problem with another old engine that could then itself turn into a nightmare next year.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:04 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Try rangerspecialties.ca they're up by Edmonton and deal only with ranger parts
Old 10-31-2016, 09:15 PM

Eventually you have to shoot the horse.

You should not be putting over $3g into a truck that is worth less than $3g if it worked. Sell it to recoup your costs and get something better.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:45 PM
Banned

I take it you don't turn your own wrenches.

There's parts trucks on kijiji, but I figure you've already looked.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-alberta/ford-...-parts/k0l9003
Old 11-01-2016, 09:21 AM

I met a guy last year who wrecks Rangers in Villineve Ab, i have his number. If you want it, Pm me.