Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Smile Prime coyotes

I went out for a trike ride this morning looking for coyote. I shot a big brown dog with my 22 mag. I figured I'd open it up and check for primes. Turns out they are pretty well prime. So start shooting coyotes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.4 KB, 398 views)
Old 10-19-2013, 12:44 PM

What part of the province are you in?

Thanks for the news.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Smile

Central Alberta. (Westlock/Barrhead area)
Old 10-19-2013, 07:22 PM

Default prime coyotes

Was out calling yesterday, and got 4. Fur is looking good.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 PM

had a yodel dog catchin mice beside the combine this week, he looked pretty good except for the tail. good entertainment anyway
Old 10-19-2013, 09:39 PM

Coyote turned out good. I'm going after them now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.2 KB, 255 views)
Old 10-20-2013, 06:26 AM

nice put up! if you take that coyote and put it beside a coyote taken 3 weeks from now,and another one taken 6 weeks from now. you'll notice a huge difference.

it's far from prime. theres more too it than "white" leather. same with beavers/ rats.

you'll still get money for it, probably really good money! it's going to be a great year!

nice to see people posting fur in the trapping discussion.

hurry up november!!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperchris View Post
Coyote turned out good. I'm going after them now
looks pretty decent and you've done a good job , but can see that it is maybe a little flat and not fully haired out as braggadoe said . Wish you guys would quit putting fur on the ground it's making me itchy to get started .
Old 10-20-2013, 03:24 PM

Default Rats

Here's some rats I've put up,any comments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6847[1].jpg (64.8 KB, 207 views)
Old 10-20-2013, 03:53 PM

I'm not a pro at this so take my comment lightly but to me those rats seem to be stretched too wide. I would think you would get more money stretched longer not wider on the board. I used to do coyotes stretched real wide and was told by the buyer to not do them as wide but longer in length instead of wide. Like I said I am far from the guy to say so for sure but thought I would say my 2 cents on it.
I am starting tomorrow to set a few traps. I have till the end of the week till back at work so I hope to catch a few critters.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:32 PM

The rats look ok to me. The wires are industry standard wire forms .

Any cased pelt shouldn't really be 'stretched'. They should be just formed. When forming any cased pelt, the pelt should just be pulled snug to the drying board or wire and then backed off a little bit to tack in place for drying. Same with split drying boards.
Overstretched pelts may thin the fur in some spots and make the skin thinner.
I am not saying the pelt should be loose on the forming board but not too snug either.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Not much I could do with this guy

Last edited by bezner; 08-31-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezner View Post
Why? Its just a flesh wound.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:47 PM

Still early, be patient lots of season to come, with lots of fully primed coyotes.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezner View Post
You could still put it on the stretcher. You'd still get money for it. When the buyers use the fur they cut the head off and discard it anyways...
Old 10-20-2013, 10:26 PM

I took coyotes this time last year and they sold just as good as the later ones I got. This was my weekends fur. A good start to the season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.1 KB, 184 views)
Old 10-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
Here's some rats I've put up,any comments
PCP, they look okay. Are those Duke stretchers? looks like it, they are far more pointy on the nose. You may want to cut back your front legs a bit more and then tuck them inside, cleans it up alot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-24-13.jpg (52.6 KB, 128 views)
Old 10-21-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperchris View Post
I took coyotes this time last year and they sold just as good as the later ones I got. This was my weekends fur. A good start to the season.
Not trying to start anything , but that one dog has a nice blue stripe down the back . Glad to hear you did OK last year , what auction do you send to ?I'm thinking of changing .
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 PM

Hey thanks for the insight, i take all the info i can get as far as pelt handling goes, and yes they are duke and i'm using NAFA Standards as far as width goes, western rats 5 3/4 at the butt, mine are in between 5 3/4 and 6, fine bunch pf fur you have there Spruce, my rat count 46 for 6 days of trapping, just aquired a golf course today, rats,beaver,mink and badgers there,Again thank you for all your comments,as this is what i was looking for, you can always learn something new,Peter
Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 PM

Your doing good on the numbers. I haven't had time to get out much but in a couple days I got 16 in a couple hours of shooting rats and I have 5 beavers in 2 days. I have to get my traps back out again and hit the ponds that are going to have winterkilled rats in them first
Old 10-21-2013, 11:09 PM

Yes just got a golf course to trap as well, looking at 100 by end of week, this golf course has 3 karge ponds feed by small creek which flows to stream and southwest end has a extensive slough, 400-500 yards long, there was some swimming in ponds while grounds guy was showing me the area, looks good with access to all the stream bank as well, beavers,mink,some ranch ones are in future there i think, few pesky badgers digging holes as well, good luck Nube,Peter
Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 PM

Head shot coyotes are fine, just wash it!

Rats in the sale don't matter how they are stretched anymore. They use some kind of sizing machine to get the size, but stretch too goofy and forget about getting top lot.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 AM

So in your opinion what are your thoughts on the ones i have put up KI-UTE, if you don't mind sharing some knowledge,i don't mind taking the hints,PETER
Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 AM

PCP do you think you could get some more length on them if you used wood stretchers? I am still up in the air about what type of stretcher is best. I have both but rarely use my wire ones as it seems I get better length by quite a few inches out of mine.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:03 AM

This will be my first year selling my coyotes. I have the stretchers etc but don't know too much about how long to leave them before turning the fur side out. How long to dry them before taking them off the stretchers. Pretty green here in this area. I just bought a FoxPro e caller and looking forward to having some fun. Any help from you pros would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM

I always turned them when they were dry but still pliable. If it is too dry then you will have a tough time turning them. If I remember right I mostly just waited overnight and checked them in the mornings. The main thing I learned to watch is under the armpit. It took the longest and the best bet is too rub some borax under them and between the tail when you split it so it doesn't go bad and get hair slippage. I'm no pro but it worked for me.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Default stretchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
PCP do you think you could get some more length on them if you used wood stretchers? I am still up in the air about what type of stretcher is best. I have both but rarely use my wire ones as it seems I get better length by quite a few inches out of mine.
Hey Nube

I'm gonna get some wooden ones and compare, can't really stretch a kit to far, and i don't want to over stretch them either, so i bring hooks to snug and leave at that, some of my rats fill whole stretcher, alot of young of the year rats, but most are large and some are xxl, don't want to over stretch and cause weak areas in hide, as far as thinning fur density goes, offer a good clean muskrat with dense fur is better than one stretched to make bigger size bracket,when it shouldn't be IMO, nice talking to you,and good luck with your beavers,might set a couple of beaver traps tomorrow.Peter
Old 10-22-2013, 05:42 PM

Default Drying time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
This will be my first year selling my coyotes. I have the stretchers etc but don't know too much about how long to leave them before turning the fur side out. How long to dry them before taking them off the stretchers. Pretty green here in this area. I just bought a FoxPro e caller and looking forward to having some fun. Any help from you pros would be greatly appreciated.
They say 50-60 is good temp to dry furs, small fan to circulate air, you want them to be pliable, i used to roll up cardboard for legs to keep them vertical better,hence allowing armpit to dry better, no pro by any means, hope this info is useful,Peter
Old 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
don't know too much about how long to leave them before turning the fur side out. How long to dry them before taking them off the stretchers.
Depending how warm your drying area is, you can flip a yapper fur side out within 24 hours. If the pelt gets too dry and seems like it might tear, dampen the pelt down a bit before trying to turn fur side out. Put the pelt back on the board for a day or two then it is good to take off the board.