Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2018, 10:24 PM

Default Watch and weep for our West country

And people wonder why we face ever increasing restrictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZpyAviziw0

Grizz
Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 PM

Pretty sad...but true
Old 05-17-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
And people wonder why we face ever increasing restrictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZpyAviziw0

Grizz
huge problem when you got 4 million mostly affluent people in alberta . Most like the outdoors!
Old 05-18-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
huge problem when you got 4 million mostly affluent people in alberta . Most like the outdoors!
Weird way of showing you love the outdoors. I think the pigs just like partying.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-18-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Weird way of showing you love the outdoors. I think the pigs just like partying.
Exactly. These aren’t people that enjoy the outdoors. They just can’t act like that in their neighbourhood so they take there act to the outdoors instead.
Bunch of clowns...
Old 05-18-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Exactly. These aren’t people that enjoy the outdoors. They just can’t act like that in their neighbourhood so they take there act to the outdoors instead.
Bunch of clowns...
True.. We have allowed this behavior in our back country for too long, the CO should have been writing tickets well before Sunday morning.. There are more than enough restrictions, we need action and enforcement IMO.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:20 AM
Banned

Pigs is right. How could anyone enjoy camping in a dump? are they just passing through? What happens next weekend? Do they bring a snow shovel so they can clear a path for their trailer so they can wallow in their own filth? Judging from the makes and models of their RV's I'd say it's a bunch of kids who know nothing about the outdoors and are used to having mommy clean up after them.

Sad.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:32 AM

This was published in May 2018 but I recall seeing this video footage at least a year or two ago. I'm not saying the same thing isn't going to happen this May long weekend in many places but this is old footage.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:46 AM
Banned

Who thinks that's camping or just enjoying the outdoors?

I would like to buy that CO a drink.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:51 AM

What a disgrace. If I did that when I was there age I’d get a 2x4 across my ass. Respect for people or property is not being taught. Everything to them is disposable as more often than not, nothing has been earned, everything has been either given to them or the bank owns it.

Millennials…wish we kept the receipt on those.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
True.. We have allowed this behavior in our back country for too long, the CO should have been writing tickets well before Sunday morning.. There are more than enough restrictions, we need action and enforcement IMO.
X2
Old 05-18-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I don't agree. I believe that pigs are pigs regardless. I like to party and my site is immaculate......

These pigs live down the street in any neighborhood. Usually in a rental property. The alley is full of their trash. I simply call 311 and by-law comes out.....Trash is then gone.

These A-- holes are the same pigs tossing their cigarette out the window; leaving a fast food parking lot with trash all over the ground with a receptacle only meters away.....

Total disrespect and again the fines are far too small..... IMHO.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:24 AM

Happens all too often down here

Knowles Flats
Atlas staging area
Lost creek randoms
Carbondale randoms by the Canyon
The Gap by the Centennial hill
Anywhere up Dutch or the Upper Oldman
Up from the Gap by the Gravel pit
Random area by Tent Mountain

Behind the Frank Interpretive Center

My kids and I just wind up hauling garbage all summer when we go out fishin.

Sad....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-18-2018, 07:29 AM

Around my kneck if the woods there is probably 50% of the garbage there used to be and about 200% more people. Things have gotten better.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
yep.

The heathens out there need a swift kick in their pocketbooks. Hope those kids had just gone to bed when that CO got them up and out of their trailers to clean that up.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM

I have never seen anything like that in the Crowsnest Pass and am in the back country constantly. In the last three years the amount of garbage overall has declined substantially. The improvement is due to the increase in enforcement.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Wish i saw more CO's out even though my last experience wasnt the greatest when i had to argue with him in front of the misses that the stream we were fishing and had done so for the last 10 years was indeed open when he was adamant and getting pretty belligerant that it was closed. But i digress, he might have been having a bad day and mistakes do happen.

In 32 years of hunting both McMurray area and the coal branch country after i left McMurray, i have only been stopped and checked twice.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:09 AM

You bring it in, you pack it out. Leave no trace.

Period.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:26 AM

Same here in our area.

Our Club BHAS and many of the S&M folks try to do our part by cleaning up what we can.

Sad indeed, glad to here they are hanging out tickets on the spot now.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:31 AM

The fines should be high enough that they wouldnt even consider doing it .
Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 AM

Shameful. Showed my kids, they are learning right.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Banned

Grad parties? Those looked like kids, no? There is no respect in the younger generation.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Grad parties? Those looked like kids, no?
Growing up in the Red Deer area, they'd always head west to Rocky, usually near Prairie creek.

My wife and I are headed out on Monday, when everyone is coming back into the city.

If I had the time, I'd be taking a ride and a good camera to get license plate numbers and photos of all the sites before they take off and leave their garbage. I know the CO's have started doing that so they can track down people leaving a mess.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:12 AM

I spent a summer surveying random campers and cataloging sites. This was 20 years ago.

I never saw anything resembling that video. And I surveyed a lot of sites. The vast majority were small camps, usually only one camper, who's greatest desire was solitude, and a natural surrounding. A huge camp with trash like that was the exact opposite of the goal of random camping.

The average age was much older as well. All 30+ years old.

Now, there were bigger camps of the 4x4/quad crowd. Respectful, clean, but even then I cringed at the damage they caused. I even found a few religious gatherings deep in the bush, the only time I ever felt nervous.

This looks to be a very 'young person phenomenon'. I heard that in Singapore they can cane you if you litter. That sounds promising.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
I spent a summer surveying random campers and cataloging sites. This was 20 years ago.

I never saw anything resembling that video. And I surveyed a lot of sites. The vast majority were small camps, usually only one camper, who's greatest desire was solitude, and a natural surrounding. A huge camp with trash like that was the exact opposite of the goal of random camping.

The average age was much older as well. All 30+ years old.

Now, there were bigger camps of the 4x4/quad crowd. Respectful, clean, but even then I cringed at the damage they caused. I even found a few religious gatherings deep in the bush, the only time I ever felt nervous.

This looks to be a very 'young person phenomenon'. I heard that in Singapore they can cane you if you litter. That sounds promising.
But yet we all get painted with the same brush, kinda like the off road issue.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 AM

I gotta say, that summer job was the best job I ever had. Nothing even close.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:04 PM

Default You have got to be kidding me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I have never seen anything like that in the Crowsnest Pass and am in the back country constantly. In the last three years the amount of garbage overall has declined substantially. The improvement is due to the increase in enforcement.
You never saw the abandoned busted up green trailer by the Gap??

Try traipsing around Vicary and help clean up some of those places.

F & W had to bring a dumpster into Knowles Flats not that long ago.

I took out 7 busted lawn chairs from where they camp around Tent Mountain.

How bout the 'perma trailer' guys up through Lynx or the Carbondale
Dude left his trailer there for 2 months.... threw plastic and garbage all down the hill towards Carbondale river.... pulled 50+ used smashed beers cans down by the fishing-swimming hole. Guess it was too difficult to haul the empties up the hill to his camp.

Ever fish the Old Man by the gravel pit north of the GAP?

Guys decided it was a great skeet shooting spot... river has shells, clay pigeons.... and shot up beer cans all through the stretch I tried to fish about three years back... Lots to haul out.

So that's all in and around the Pass.

Head to the random site by the Crow where the Frank Gymkhana is... It needs a cleaning every year.

I guess I respectfully disagree with your observations.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-18-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Doesn't sound like they have increased enforcement enough. It's a shame people need to be forced to not wreck our backcountry.

Can anybody fathom going on a hike in our national parks, hiking all day, and finding an abandoned tent trailer and garbage, at the camp site? Our provincial back country deserves the same respect.

I bet 95% of the people on this forum can hike, hunt, camp, and when we're done, you'd be hard pressed to know we were there. That should be drilled into the public all day and all night.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
You never saw the abandoned busted up green trailer by the Gap??

Try traipsing around Vicary and help clean up some of those places.

F & W had to bring a dumpster into Knowles Flats not that long ago.

I took out 7 busted lawn chairs from where they camp around Tent Mountain.

How bout the 'perma trailer' guys up through Lynx or the Carbondale
Dude left his trailer there for 2 months.... threw plastic and garbage all down the hill towards Carbondale river.... pulled 50+ used smashed beers cans down by the fishing-swimming hole. Guess it was too difficult to haul the empties up the hill to his camp.

Ever fish the Old Man by the gravel pit north of the GAP?

Guys decided it was a great skeet shooting spot... river has shells, clay pigeons.... and shot up beer cans all through the stretch I tried to fish about three years back... Lots to haul out.

So that's all in and around the Pass.

Head to the random site by the Crow where the Frank Gymkhana is... It needs a cleaning every year.

I guess I respectfully disagree with your observations.
Use to love going to the forestry.....Have not set foot there in 15 years or so to many pigs..and Cityits for my liking.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
It’s pretty obvious you don’t spend nearly as much time out here as you say you do.