Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Okotokian

Default The Outdoorsmen. Likes? Dislikes?

Perhaps this has been done before, but I haven't seen it. Given this is the board for the Outdoorsmen and we are all probably regular readers, I'm curious as to what people like or would like to see changed about the magazine. Who knows, maybe the publisher would like to see it too! Not interested in having particular columnists slagged, just general impressions please.

Pro
I love that it's a magazine focused on Alberta. Directly relevant. I just don't get off that much on mags with articles about hunting in places I'll never go or on game I'll never take aim at. I also like that I may be exchanging ideas here with many of the columnists. Most seem pretty down to earth and relatively reasonable. Good to have some regulatory stuff here to keep me up to date too. Oh, and love that they support this board!

Con
A bit TOO MUCH regulatory and legal stuff for ME (granted, maybe not for you. Just my preference). I get it that some columnists revile the registry or have continual issues with the govt ministry. I may agree totally with them, but I get sort of bored reading the same issues hashed over and over again, just with the words arranged differently. Not that interested in seeing more pictures of Ted Morton. The only other Alberta focused mag I am aware of, the Game Warden, takes a similar slant (different opinions of course, but primarily legal/regulatory). I'd REALLY love an Alberta mag that was, say, at least 75% about actual hunting (actual hunting, guns, the like, maybe a little UPLAND hint hint)... the how's, the where's in Alberta. Haven't found one yet.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
rugatika

Default good topic

I always pick up a copy and think it's a great magazine. More gear reviews would be good including a shotgun/rifle column might be nice too. I like the gun guy's reviews of monthly cartridges. He's a good writer and maybe could be enlisted to do some rifle reviews as well.

Since it's called Alberta outdoorsman maybe some camping articles could be added with good places to camp in Alberta etc. Hiking trails and so on.

All in all a great magazine and Rob et al should be comended for the excellent job they do. I look forward to picking my copy up every month.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Southb

cant see why a topic like this may arise the mag is fine one has to take it as it is a mag with info + you like it or you dont I dont see a problem There is pro and con to everything cant see where you are going with this oko.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 PM
kanonfodder

Actually feedback like this is very helpful as we are the consumer he is targeting. I pik it up at the stand and also buy back issues to take up to the lake. Nothing wrong with us expressing CONSTRUCTIVE ideas and critiques. MY opinion of course
Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Canmoron

Even from it's humble beginnings in a newspaper format, I've thought Alberta Outdoorsman was the best hunting/fishing magazine out there. And I've subscribed to plenty.

Good mix of subject material for me, and I read it cover to cover. Even their advertisers are appropriate for the audience, and I try to support them where I can.

But Kannon, if they want some constructive criticism, THEY can ask me in me in a confidential customer survey.

Andrew

As Mom always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!"
Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Jamie Hunt

Personaly, I would like to see it bigger. I get it done WAY to quick. Allways great covers!
I like the fact there is a mix of knowledge and storys. To many storys gets to me. Unless they are wrote by the pros. Ex BIG BUCK. I do like one or 2 though.
I hear Zumbo is looking for work...............

Jamie
Old 05-02-2007, 10:58 PM
kanonfodder

Can, I get what your sayn bt some of us pick it up at the stand how do we get this survey? I imagine that there are people on this sight that may not buy the mag every month either why not find out why they don't. Besides being a great forum this board is a TOOL for Rob and should be utilized as such IMO. Dont ya think..
Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Canmoron

Sorry Kannon,

I don't agree. If I want to know what people like about me or don't like about me (or my business), I'll do the asking.

No matter how well-meaning a friend is, soliciting reviews about me or mine isn't cool.

But maybe that's just me.

Andrew
Old 05-03-2007, 10:03 AM
kanonfodder

Yup I get what your sayn here but we're a hopefully constructivly critiquing a product not a person or biz. We often critique everything from products such as rods and reels ATV's, scopes and guns. I don't see the mag ( which I personally love ) is above tweaking if thats what (we) the consumer want. Ultimatly it's Rob's choice we're just givn out opinion is all. Personally my fav is the columns by average hunters getting to relive their hunt in print, I too would like more average hunter products and hunts.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 AM
fallairfever

I really enjoy the magazine. I subscribe to a few others but AO is by far my favorite and the only one ever read cover to cover. I can't believe its the third already and I have not picked it up yet, I use it as an excuse to head to store and look around. funny how a $6 magazine turns into 50 or more at the till most times!

Like Jamie and some others I would like to see it bigger, more product reviews and more stories from the writers and readers, info on camping in Alberta... I found last month there was alot of overlap everyone talking about the afga convention and Mortons speach, important yes but by the fouth time reading about it yikes.

Keep up the good work Rob and crew

And oko thanks for the reminder its time for me to head out and get the newest edition!
FAF
Old 05-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Grizzly Adams

Good magazine, but I think the writers are overused, especially since they seem to find their efforts into other magazines. I for on, am sick and tired of T.J. Schwanky:rollin
Surely to God, there are other talented writers out there.
Grizz
Old 05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
varmitr

its a good read, a little to much on the politicql side for me, but that is most important if we want to continue the sport
i like Duanes rozenkranzs photos, there could be more photos of 'in the wild critters'. but they are hard to get and photos dont pay many bills, like adds do.