Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 08:50 AM

Lightbulb Store bought beer

Just got back from a trip to London Edinburgh and Dublin.The beer brewed there is wonderful stuff.So I’m looking at brewing my own.I have made wine from kits and was happy with it at the time.But I sure would like to join a group that brew there own from scratch if possible.I have seen someone on this site that brews his own but cannot locate it.Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 AM

If you have a couple 5 gallon glass carboy's and a large pot to brew in, If you have a turkey frier that works. I'd start with a "Brewers Best" kit, it's a grain and Malt extract kit that makes delicious beer. Then you can move into a "BIAB" Brew In A Bag, all grain style kits, which are cheaper, almost half the cost. I'm still a Newb to home brewing but this is how I started. Lot's of Youtube vids to watch and learn.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Just got back from a trip to London Edinburgh and Dublin.The beer brewed there is wonderful stuff.So I’m looking at brewing my own.I have made wine from kits and was happy with it at the time.But I sure would like to join a group that brew there own from scratch if possible.I have seen someone on this site that brews his own but cannot locate it.Any help would be appreciated.
Its not geographically close by you, but if you are on FB there is a group called Badlands Brew Club. A couple guys on there are genius level brewers with some awesome equipment and set ups.

I brew myself. Actually started a hop farm in Southern AB due to the booming craft beer industry.

Also malt my own barley.

Looper
Old 04-19-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
Its not geographically close by you, but if you are on FB there is a group called Badlands Brew Club. A couple guys on there are genius level brewers with some awesome equipment and set ups.

I brew myself. Actually started a hop farm in Southern AB due to the booming craft beer industry.

Also malt my own barley.

Looper

How much hops do you grow?
Do you sell to breweries or hobbyists?
I’ve always wondered why we don’t grow hops in Alberta.
Your post got my attention.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
PM me if you want some info. I brew all grain and built a 4 tap keezer. any help I can give let me know.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:40 PM

There are a few members on here that brew and answered some of my questions over the past 2 years.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
How much hops do you grow?
Do you sell to breweries or hobbyists?
I’ve always wondered why we don’t grow hops in Alberta.
Your post got my attention.
1.5 acres currently. Adding an additional 3 acres this summer.

Yes I would most certainly sell to a hobbyist.

We currently have 14 different varieties.

Limited stocks at the moment as we sold most fresh last September and the hops plants take a few years to establish. Looking for big increase in production this year.

Looper
Old 04-19-2018, 03:16 PM

Looper I would gladly buy some if you are selling to local homebrewers. I assume you are dealing with leaf style hops? After this long cold winter and I still brewed 60-70 gallons in the garage, I plan to brew a lot this summer in a warm garage!!!
Old 04-19-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Looper I would gladly buy some if you are selling to local homebrewers. I assume you are dealing with leaf style hops? After this long cold winter and I still brewed 60-70 gallons in the garage, I plan to brew a lot this summer in a warm garage!!!
Yes what I have in the freezer are whole leaf. This year we are hoping to sell the majority as fresh with the balance being dried and pelletized.

If you like I can look and see what I have left?

Alpha and Betas both tested on the higher end so that's good and the HSI was very high.

Looper
Old 04-19-2018, 05:41 PM

My wife and I are going in a few weeks to hike the 130 km “Skye trail”, on the Isle of Skye.

Knew that, planning some of our trip to include it, and looking forward to it!!

Quote:
Just got back from a trip to London Edinburgh and Dublin.The beer brewed there is wonderful stuff.

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 04-19-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
If you have a couple 5 gallon glass carboy's and a large pot to brew in, If you have a turkey frier that works. I'd start with a "Brewers Best" kit, it's a grain and Malt extract kit that makes delicious beer. Then you can move into a "BIAB" Brew In A Bag, all grain style kits, which are cheaper, almost half the cost. I'm still a Newb to home brewing but this is how I started. Lot's of Youtube vids to watch and learn.
Yup. Agreed. With a little effort I've made some fantastic brews.