Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Duk Dog

Default Wild Elk Federation

Thought I would start a post on them as I'd for one be interested in knowing more about them. I was and am still a member of the RMEF, but with them pulling their Canadian HQ out of Rocky Mtn House I thought I would try and investigate to find out more about this new conservation group. If there is someone on this board involved with the Wild Elk Federation perhaps you can post some more info about them for us all.

www.wildelkfederation.ca/
Old 04-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Duk Dog

BTT
Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Grizzly Adams

Wasn't it some guy named Lyle Dorey [guess at spelling], who was running the thing out of Rocky?
Grizz
Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Duffy4

The wild elk boys have a web site. They had a big booth at the Edmonton Sportsman's show. I was involved with them in March as they provided transportation of 87 elk that went from Elk Island Pk. to two spots west of Rocky for release.

Dorey was "Canadian Director" for the Canadian branch of the Elk Foundation. Then I'm not too sure who took over that position. They had an office/warehouse in Rocky but sold off all assets and pulled up and left.

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 AM
sheep hunter

Actually they didn't sell off all their assets Duffy. The RMEF is in the process of donating all their conservation lands to other Alberta conservation groups.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Duffy4

I guess I mis phrased that. I had heard they were selling off a lot of stuff at their shop in Rocky. RMEF knives and wildlife prints and stuff. I don't know what became of the big "featherlight" stock trailers they had for moving Elk.

I wasn't aware they had acquired much land in Canada.

When I was with the Habitat Branch (F&W) we worked closely with RMEF Canada and USA on prescribed burns and other wildlife habitat projects.

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-30-2007, 01:45 PM
sheep hunter

Yes they had acquired serveral properties plus some conservation easements.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Duk Dog

Anyone here on the message board involved with the new WEF? Anyone go to their recent dinner in Leduc?