Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2007, 09:27 PM
fallairfever

Default Help with daughters school report

Hey all,
My daughter in 4th grade is doing an animal report. At first she picked weasels :rolleyes but after a little direction from dear ol' dad she changed to white-tail deer. I have helped her with some research and finding pictures, she is even using some of the pics I have taken! We are planning a field trip outside of town (Calgary) to walk some whitetail territory, look for sign, get some pics etc...

What I was wondering is there somewhere to take her for some hands on type stuff? I was thinking Aheia to look at the mounts and see what else is there. Any thoughts guys??

Thanks for your help.

PS anyone have a decent pic of a scrape they would like to share, or any cool, living please, pics of whitetails
Old 04-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Pictures o

Default Pictures of whitetail

Fallfair, how about trail cam pics of bucks?
I've got some good ones for ya!
Old 04-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: Pictures of whitetail

Cool project Fall.

If you are in Calgary and want to see some whitetails, go to Nose Hill Park. All winter there has been a herd (20ish) on the south slopes above John Laurier between 19st NW and the 14st overpass (SE corner of park). Saw 'em the other day, but they are starting to disperss a bit now though.

Also, check with the U of C. They run a wildlife rehab center on a farm complex on Spy Hill (west of the remand center). They usually have some cool stuff kicking around.

Good luck, and you do know that you have to post her grade once it's done!

Tree
Old 05-01-2007, 09:59 AM
bagwan

I have a few antlers kicking around if you're in the area. Stop by the house and grab them. Closest house to the water tower in Big Valley.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Jamie Hunt

Fall. Aheia will be a perfect resource. Just drop by and ask to talk with Rob. He is the one that teaches all the little kids. The resources they have will amaze you.

Jamie
Old 05-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Mike W

Not from a whitetail but a mooose ....This is a really fresh one as I shot the ol guy as soon as he stood up from in it.

All the best to her, hope this helps.

Mike

Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 PM
BrownBear416

I have some Trailcam pics of some Brute Bucks if you would like them.

I have some pics of them working scrape lines.pawing and sniffing branch's that have a stink bomb in it.

All the pics were taken at the end of November and are in three feet of snow.

Let me Know.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Mike W

Here is a great site on nature it has some great pics of rubs and scrape ...think it might help!!

users.crocker.com/~coyote...urnal.html

Cheers
Michael
Old 05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
fallairfever

Hey guys,
Thank-you for all the great advise, pics, links ...!! We will be hitting aheia this weekend between my daughters softball games.
Mike those pics are perfect.
I have a buddy that has some sheds I can borrow, thanks for the offer bagwan, next time I am up near my dads maybe I'll stop by to say Hi.
If you have unique pics like buck working a scrape line etc we would love to see them, post em up or email to my directly at tbug_jbear@hotmail.com
I am hopeing that this project might get my daughter interested enough to tag along on a fall hunt with me, nto sure what my wife would say but cant hurt to try!

Thanks again all, if you have more for us keep it coming!!
FallAirFever and daughter
Old 05-03-2007, 06:14 PM
BrownBear416

Here is one pic,will post more when i am at home.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 PM
BrownBear416

(This message was left blank)