Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2007, 12:48 PM
varmitr

Default ponokas only gunstore burns

Wednesday 1200 noon bruces true value goes up in smoke...several 17hmrs and 22's died in the fire.

my question, when a large amount of ammuntion burns like this, does it:
fizzle, pop, explode(like in the movies), or just melt and make a fancy roman candle,
onlookers and gawkers seemed rather concerned about it.
i didnt think the ammo did much of anything when it burns, thinki8ng that it needed the chamber around it to have any projectile type effects..
anyone with more insite??
Old 05-03-2007, 01:35 PM
ralfsnart

as far as ammo in fire the only thing I can say is this...when we werein our stupid stage..ie late teens. A guy threw a box of 22 shells into a fire..there were 4 of us standing around. we all went for cover and they did project :eek

After all was said and done and we got looking there were two rounds in the tree I was hiding behind.

We all proceeded to beat the living hell out of the ***** >:
Old 05-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Dick284

The most likely projectiles from ammo in a fire is from the cases, as with the brass being of less weight than the projectile the case will take off and the slug usually stays put, but if in a box perhaps the rounds closer to the centre may have enough mass around them that they will cook off like a round in a chamber. Split brass and other flying debris from the detonation are another hazard as well.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 PM
ralfsnart

yeah i dug out lead :\
Old 05-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Dick284

Centre of the box I suspect. Bad idea any way you slice it, bullet, brass, pieces of lord knows what at high velocities, and the human body were never meant to mix with a good time.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 PM
varmitr

in an average hardware store i would be susupect to think there were many other things that go boom...
some propane containers, paints, solvents, water converting to steam...
Bruce is a great guy too and is understandably a mess.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Southb

Quote:
when we werein our stupid stage..ie late teens. A guy threw a box of 22 shells into a fire..there were 4 of us standing around.
Humm you couldnt stop him before the fact.???

Quote:
We all proceeded to beat the living hell out of the *****
I thought all of you were in your STUPID stage ..ie.late teens.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:35 PM
7 REM MAG

well if someone just tosses a box of 22 shells into a fire i know that i am gonna be running for cover and not trying to pick a box of burning/melting bullets/cartridges out of the fire that is laready gonna be really hot. it is probabally smarter to hide than try to pull the shells out of the fire. Just my opinion
Old 05-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Duffy4

Sorry to hear about the fire. Breaks my heart to think of guns burning. Once in awhile I think about the firearms that get confiscated for various reasons. And the fact that most are apparently "destroyed". If I ever met someone whose work involved destroying firearms , I'd have to run the other way fast or I'd have my hands on their throat.

I had some shelle that had no bullet of powder in them, just the primer. I wanted to "set off" the primers (without fireing in a gun) so I could reload the cases later. I set one standing up in and empty tin soup can and set it on a little butaine stove. When the primer blew it put a hole right through the tin can. I was surprised at the velocity and power of the primer "projectile".

I find it difficult to belive that the lead from .22 shells in a fire would leave the fire with the velocity to go into a tree.

Robin