Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Banned

Default Some geese shots from Iceland

Just spent a few days in Iceland while coming back from Europe. The goose and what I think are tundra swans is in full flight. Saw thousands of geese in the very few farm fields they have in Iceland, and talk about spooky! They started coming to attention as soon as I slowed the car down, and lifted off even before it was fully stopped. I have no idea what kind of geese these were,

As far as I know, there is no open season there right now, but man, they sure know what a stopped car means.

Last picture is of a supper of Minke Whale, a traditional Icelandic food. Tasted somewhat like deer, but texture much less coarse. I'd have it again.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM

I'll assume you tried the whale at a restaurant. How much was the entrée (likely expensive by Canadian standards), and how did the price compare to other Icelandic fare?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKP View Post
I'll assume you tried the whale at a restaurant. How much was the entrée (likely expensive by Canadian standards), and how did the price compare to other Icelandic fare?
Iceland is cheap to get to, but very expensive to stay. Hotel was reasonable, but it cost us almost $100 for any supper we had, and we did not go to fancy places. The minke whale was actually cheaper by about $1.00 than my girlfriends cod dinner. Gasoline was $2.80 equivalent per liter.

It's a beautiful, beautiful place, with natural landscapes that are unparalleled to anywhere I've been.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Heard the prices are high there. $50 for a simple dinner.

Did you get fishing?

This goose? http://iceland-nh.net/birds/data/Ans...ser_anser.html
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Heard the prices are high there. $50 for a simple dinner.

Did you get fishing?

This goose? http://iceland-nh.net/birds/data/Ans...ser_anser.html
As noted above, yes, $50 is very normal for a dinner. $10 at Dunkin Donuts (they have one there) for 2 cups of coffee.

Thanks for the link on the birds. Thought the swans may have been tundra swans, but interesting they are something different.

Never did have a chance to go fishing, but we will be back next time we go to Europe (flying by IcelandAir is often the cheapest way to Europe, and one can stay for up to a week layover in Iceland, without any additional flight costs).

I can see one organizing a week in the backcountry camping, which would reduce costs significantly, plus what a great way to experience the country.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledriver View Post
As noted above, yes, $50 is very normal for a dinner. $10 at Dunkin Donuts (they have one there) for 2 cups of coffee.

Thanks for the link on the birds. Thought the swans may have been tundra swans, but interesting they are something different.

Never did have a chance to go fishing, but we will be back next time we go to Europe (flying by IcelandAir is often the cheapest way to Europe, and one can stay for up to a week layover in Iceland, without any additional flight costs).

I can see one organizing a week in the backcountry camping, which would reduce costs significantly, plus what a great way to experience the country.
I was researching fishing there. You need to get your gear disinfected upon arrival or certified in Calgary before leaving. Seems safer to do it there. I assume felt boots are out.

http://www.icelandangling.com/index....nd-regulations

http://angling.is/en/disinfection-of-tackle/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I was researching fishing there. You need to get your gear disinfected upon arrival or certified in Calgary before leaving. Seems safer to do it there. I assume felt boots are out.

http://www.icelandangling.com/index....nd-regulations

http://angling.is/en/disinfection-of-tackle/
Not cheap for sure! Cheapest is $4,265, up to $9,370.

It seems they have the same situation as in most of Europe, where the land owners control the river. I'm lucky, that I have access in Ireland as my cousin lives there, and have caught fish. It was my impression that most land was actually public land, as most of Iceland is not suitable for agriculture or cabins. I'd like to research that, as I would assume that there are large areas (which may have difficulty actually accessing) that would not be privately owned.

It's an interesting thought!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledriver View Post
Not cheap for sure! Cheapest is $4,265, up to $9,370.

It seems they have the same situation as in most of Europe, where the land owners control the river. I'm lucky, that I have access in Ireland as my cousin lives there, and have caught fish. It was my impression that most land was actually public land, as most of Iceland is not suitable for agriculture or cabins. I'd like to research that, as I would assume that there are large areas (which may have difficulty actually accessing) that would not be privately owned.

It's an interesting thought!
$4265 to fish Iceland or are you mixing up Ireland private rivers? Yikes.