Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Banned

Default Hunting shows constructive criticism

Honestly I have a lot of respect for all of the individuals that try and produce the shows that we all watch. All of these shows cost tens of thousands of dollars to get on the air. How about some positive constructive input so that they can make their shows better for us to watch?

List the show
Say what you would like to see
Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Field dress it on tv.
We all have our own way of doing it, and it's always nice to see someone else's method.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:20 PM
Banned

Don't go overboard with the excitement.
Do unguided hunts.
As mentioned, field care.
Seems that a lot of the shows priorities are huge animals. That's not the real world for beginner hunters.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:44 PM

Tone down the music, and don't use footage where you can't hear a word of the whispering with the wind howling.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:58 PM
Banned

Honestly there’s a million videos on YouTube how to field dress an animal
Pretty sure it doesn’t need to be repeated on every show

Not everybody can do unguided hunts
Legalities if your a non resident
Guides keep the shows legal and gives the viewers a chance for the exact same experience if you go hunt with them
Old 10-05-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Guides keep the shows legal and gives the viewers a chance for the exact same experience if you go hunt with them
You're looking for constructive criticism, but every idea contrary to the norm is wrong?
Here's my criticism:
Youtube exists, so hunting shows are obsolete.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

Well, sorry all to hell. Marky. If you just wanted an argument, why didn't you just say so. You would have received way more responses.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:13 AM
Banned

Not looking for arguments

Im sure a lot of the guys that produce the local shows are on here. And would appreciate some actual constructive criticism

Takes time and money to make these shows. 90% of them pay out of their packets to make them.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Not looking for arguments

Im sure a lot of the guys that produce the local shows are on here. And would appreciate some actual constructive criticism

Takes time and money to make these shows. 90% of them pay out of their packets to make them.
So, what say you?
If you were paying out of your own packet, what would you do to set yourself apart from the pack?
Old 10-06-2018, 05:02 AM

Stop taking every opportunity to advertise products during the actual show, there are enough commercials already.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 AM

The only shows I watch are:
Meat Eater, Randy Newberg.

More in line with my own hunting experiences, but they have more success, lol.

Hunting tv seems like a very difficult type of media to produce profitably. Youtube is pretty much killing it.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:22 AM
Banned

Meathunter to me seems like it’s a cross between a hunting show and survivor man. Guess I should watch a few more of them. Wasn’t very appealing
Old 10-06-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Meathunter to me seems like it’s a cross between a hunting show and survivor man. Guess I should watch a few more of them. Wasn’t very appealing
Agreed and now he has guys like Joe Rogan on his shows wonder where that’s going. Randy Newberg spends too much time bragging up Kennetrek boots for my liking.

The high fence stuff turns me off. The long range shows and the 1200 yd bang flop shots are a hard pill to swallow. How many times does an Elk drop on the spot even inside 200yds?

Would like to see more on the gear that they use on hunts. The excitement goes overboard on most shows. At the end of the day I watch wild tv or you tube hunts 95% of the time spend watching tv and wouldn’t want it to go away.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:42 AM

My biggest pet peeve is cody Robbins. He has some of the best hunting footage and animals but I can not stand his over the top almost fake excitement and worst yet is his non stop sponsor advertising. Oh look I'm drinking my squincher juice box while wearing my mossy oak camo and carry my cooper rifle topped with vortex optic. Did I mention I love diamond bows now. And yes I know sponsors make it possible. He just seems way worse than anyone else.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:44 AM

I only watch Canadian hunts, don't care for out of country.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
My biggest pet peeve is cody Robbins. He has some of the best hunting footage and animals but I can not stand his over the top almost fake excitement and worst yet is his non stop sponsor advertising. Oh look I'm drinking my squincher juice box while wearing my mossy oak camo and carry my cooper rifle topped with vortex optic. Did I mention I love diamond bows now. And yes I know sponsors make it possible. He just seems way worse than anyone else.
X2 He has one of the best shows but the bold print shown above turns me off.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:11 AM

Keep the excitement in check, show the animal the reverence and respect it deserves. " I smoked him", is an inappropriate comment.

Use better Microphones if you are going to record in wind, or do the voice over in the studio. The sound of wind buffeting a microphone causes me to switch channels immediately.

Learn to speak clearly and at a decent pace when doing the monologues.

Quality and number of animals, success rate etc is important when deciding on using a guide. Just as important, is pictures of camp, accommodation, guide vehicles and food on guided hunts. It would be useful for those considering using the same guide service.

Use a photographer that knows how to operate the equipment and can keep stuff in focus and properly lit. The video quality on a lot of the smaller shows is almost Gopro level, If you can't afford good video equipment save your stuff for Youtube.

I like looking at Large Breasted women as much as the next guy, but at least show them carrying their own rifles and packs. Having a man servant to do the heavy lifting isn't really the way most women I know hunt.

Personally won't bother watching baited deer, bear etc shows, but it is a legal form of hunting and many people like to hunt that way so I believe they should continue to make shows about this kind of hunting.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Banned

Show the shows where they wound an animal on those extreme shots, can’t tell me they’ve never wounded an animal
Old 10-06-2018, 09:34 AM

The over the top excitement bugs me to. I would like to see them talk more about the shot placement and to show where they hit and which vitals they took out. Also more footage of the field dressing, caping, and pack out. These usually seem to get skipped over. In the deserts and really early season it would be nice to see what they do for meat care when the heat is such a critical factor.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:42 AM

The biggest misconception in the anti hunting world and what antis most like to relay to the public is that hunters "get off" on killing things. I have never witnessed this in the real world but every hunting personality seems to be more into the killing than the hunting.

If hunting shows were more about the hunt and less about the kill I might actually watch them. As they are now I am embarrassed to be lumped into the same group.

True outdoorsmen do not hunt to kill, they kill to have hunted. The trophy, the meat and the memory are the added bonus not the reason for getting out there.

Anyway, IMO the kill shot should never be aired nor should the ridiculous high fiving, fist pumping and self congratulating. Act like that when you are out with me and you better have made arrangements for another ride home. Anyone with an IQ higher than a duck and even the slightest bit of empathy is touched by death. Most admire the beauty of the animal, reminisce for a moment and become truly thankful of the bounty. Dancing around like an idiot is just too pathetic for me to watch.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Love meat eaters format, Cody Robbins got it right too, minimize the talking about nothing related to the hunt, minimize the scenes of squirrels, little birds etc and get to the hunt.

I know commercials are implemented therefore I PVR shows or watch it on Netflix like meat eater so I don't get bogged down with bs.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2018, 09:46 AM

The extreme shot shows are pure bunk.

Please stop with the incessant product pushing.

Do a non guided hunt. How’s about showing people how to scout an area?

Interview landowners..... interview lots of them.... get their voices and concerns into the mix. It’s a hugely important part of hunting.

Try some tracking.... teach sign reading.... go over what to do after the shot step by step.

I severely doubt most hosts know much about scouting and hunting their own quarry from scratch. They need the kill..... or they think they need it to make the show. So they rely on guided or pre scouted opportunities.

ALL hunting shows need to change from ‘the killing every hunt’ show to ‘its about the pursuit and perseverance’ which is a way better reflection of hunting.

How’s about showing that pursuing animals requires some kind of fitness and mental sharpness...?

Doesn’t anyone walk in a couple kms and pack out their animal anymore?!?!?

90% of hunting shows seem to be big fat slobs with big rigs that couldn’t walk to the fridge.
...... cause you don’t need your brains or heart or mind or will hit hunt.... or develop any of these....

Ya just need gear..! Sheesh.

I get tired of gear hounds.

I paid for Wild TV for 6 month...... nothing there held me.

Meat Eater I actually watch and like.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Banned

Arrow

Those programs are horrible.......reminds me of WWE wrestling with more commercials. Watch them for a minute then change the channel. They all are so bad. So bad.

The top of the groupP

Meateaters, Jim Shokey are the best.

Why?

There honest, show there mistakes, very little sponsorship hoopla, show there good days along with there bad, they don't look like hollywood cheeseballs with there over the top excitement, etc

These are the guys that you would want to go out with as they have more substance and character than 99% of the other tv characters.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Banned

I watched fishing shows for years and the one I liked the best was the In-Fisherman ones. Their focus at least years ago was on the who what when where why. Almost every show they used their own boat and fishing gear. I do not know if they found the fishing spot themselves but they fished with all their own gear and explained everything as they went along.

I would watch any hunting show that followed that format. I watch hunting/fishing shows more for education than actual entertainment. Watching some one reel in a fish without knowing what time of year it is, what depth their fishing, techniques, and why they are fishing that particular location is not interesting for me.

I would want a hunting show to reveal all the information that brought them to that location at that time of year. I don't mean exact location, just general hills, valleys, feed area, bedding area, water hole, rut line ......etc. Save all the fist pumps except for one, quit whispering when you can see the game a mile away, keep the music low or eliminate it. I realize that advertising is a big part of the TV industry but mentioning the same thing over and over over will have me switching channels. People want to know what other hunters use so mention your rifle, ammo, binos, knives etc once or maybe twice. Many times we can see the name of the gear there is no need to mention it 10-15 times.

I have no interest in the African or any other hunt where all the hunter does is follow the guide around, waits for guide to set up the shooting sticks for him and he pulls the trigger...............very boring.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:44 AM

Way too much talking!
Old 10-06-2018, 10:57 AM

I worked at a few lodges back in the day when Al Lindner and the boys would come up and we would save certain Bays for them, no one else was allowed to fish in there so they could film their shows.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2018, 10:58 AM

I like bits and pieces of most shows. The over the top excitement doesn’t do it for me (Cody Robbins, Stan Potts). I know sponsors pay for everything and need their advertising perks but they can tone it down a bit. The heavy metal music can beat it to (boneyard). I feel like most shows now are just shoot it and get onto the next kill, but I get that’s what most people want to see anyways. Long range hunts don’t do it for me, drive, sit, spot, shoot. But each to their own. I’m not a fan of the over dramatized narratives (Dana white, dean partridge) I know you need to make dramatic effect but it’s no necessary. I would like to see more landowners, taxidermists, things after the kill that are all part of the experience.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:21 AM

We should be giving some credit to all the producers who bring their productions to the airways. It is a TOUGH gig period having to produce "x" episodes annually.

There are some who want to be stars, others who just want to bring the outdoor experience indoors to the viewers. There are 100 ways to do this, no scripts in this industry, live and never the same scenario while trying to capture GOOD footage.

Commercials are the show, there is no way around the cost factor and the sponsors demand mileage for their money. The viewers demand Hollywood style productions, the average show does not have the capability to hire camera men/woman, editors, producers and provide gear to a large group of ground crew members.

We can critique all we want, I for one am thankful that there are people who provide these productions to the general public.

All the best this season.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I worked at a few lodges back in the day when Al Lindner and the boys would come up and we would save certain Bays for them, no one else was allowed to fish in there so they could film their shows.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I knew Al and Ron Lindner from my days on the PWT. They were very savvy business men! LOL
Old 10-06-2018, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
We should be giving some credit to all the producers who bring their productions to the airways. It is a TOUGH gig period having to produce "x" episodes annually.

There are some who want to be stars, others who just want to bring the outdoor experience indoors to the viewers. There are 100 ways to do this, no scripts in this industry, live and never the same scenario while trying to capture GOOD footage.

Commercials are the show, there is no way around the cost factor and the sponsors demand mileage for their money. The viewers demand Hollywood style productions, the average show does not have the capability to hire camera men/woman, editors, producers and provide gear to a large group of ground crew members.

We can critique all we want, I for one am thankful that there are people who provide these productions to the general public.

All the best this season.
I agree with you.

This post went sideways really fast from the direction I had hoped it would have gone

Some of the comments boggle my mind

I deleted about 5 paragraphs that I wanted to say but I shouldn’t