Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 08:26 AM

Default New BBQ

In the market for a NEW BBq. Any good sales out there? I'm in Edmonton and I've just started looking. I'm thinking around the $500 range. I know the Webers are the best but I dont really want to spend $1000 plus. I'm going to look at what Costco Carrie's. I think its Nexgrill or something like that. Thx guys.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:31 AM

Not sure on the price of them but I bought a Broil King natural gas bbq about 7 years ago. We use it about 100 nights/year and it operates like when it was new. I think we bought ours from our local Home Hardware.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2019, 09:55 AM

in that price range Broil King is probably your best bet, crazy the prices on some of these BBQ. Good cast iron grills, keeping them seasoned and oiled makes a big difference. Weber will cost you allot more unless you find 2nd hand
Old 06-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Banned

if your going to look at what Costco carries then you dont need a recommendation. The bbqs at Costco IMO look like crap. They look cheap and poorly made but I suppose if your buying at Costco you'll be taken care of if there are issues.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
in that price range Broil King is probably your best bet, crazy the prices on some of these BBQ. Good cast iron grills, keeping them seasoned and oiled makes a big difference. Weber will cost you allot more unless you find 2nd hand
Good advice.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:04 AM

Vermont casting is producing bbq’s again. I bought mine over 10 years ago and I use it mercilessly, it’s been good. One thing I notice with then new bbq’s is they’ve gotten rid of the side burners and have those ceramic infra red thingies instead. I contacted Weber to see if I can special order with a regular side burner (the really big bbq’s have them) and they say no.

They also say that my assumption that putting a large pot or pan on these infra red burners will kill them fast is....correct. That sux. I use my side burner to cool all the time. I never fry anything stinky in the house, it’s all outside. And now I can’t get a decent (big) side burner.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:05 AM

I'm in the same boat looking for a new bbq. Mines older so it has lived a long life. Bought a Centro from Canadian tire in 07. Stainless steel with cast grill. My issue now is that from the outside the bbq still looks brand new. But on the inside, everything under the grill is rotten. I wish I could just rebuild it but pricing out parts ads up to a lot of $$.

I'm thinking of saving a few dollars and maybe not going the stainless steel rout this time as the rest of the bbq won't hold up anyway. Another thing I didn't like about the cast grill is the wavy design makes for hard brushing and cleaning between the rows. I have to pick through all the edges which is a pain.

Now I can't expect any bbq to last as long as this one did but like I said half stainless and half not. I've still been using it as I've grown quite attached to it over almost 13 years (bought it when I got the house) and it does get used a lot. Maybe a non stainless will last half this time? I don't know but for shopping for a new one, these have been my thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190623-105651_Gallery.jpg (37.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190623-105641_Gallery.jpg (36.4 KB, 109 views)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:30 AM

There's a good deal in Lloyd on facebook market place

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8621086324451/

NIB Broil king $300
Old 06-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Another vote for Broil King. Price wan't the issue when I was looking. Weber makes a nice BBQ, problem is, their NG ones don't get hot enough even in the summer, totally useless in winter. The lower output is how they manage to guarantee the burners for life. Had a Weber at the lake and a Broil King at home for the last 18 years. Both still look perfect, both stainless with cast grills, the Broil King has about triple the cooking days on it as we use it 4 days a week year round. Both still run great, have not had to replace parts on either, just the Weber is not hot enough. Hell of a time to get a good sear and still do a steak med-rare. You won't have that problem with the Broil King.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 AM

Napoleon makes good barbeques , but they start at around $800. I purchased one several years ago from Costco, and it has been excellent.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Another vote for Broil King. Price wan't the issue when I was looking. Weber makes a nice BBQ, problem is, their NG ones don't get hot enough even in the summer, totally useless in winter. The lower output is how they manage to guarantee the burners for life. Had a Weber at the lake and a Broil King at home for the last 18 years. Both still look perfect, both stainless with cast grills, the Broil King has about triple the cooking days on it as we use it 4 days a week year round. Both still run great, have not had to replace parts on either, just the Weber is not hot enough. Hell of a time to get a good sear and still do a steak med-rare. You won't have that problem with the Broil King.
2X on that my NG broil king Baron gets hot enough to sear much better than other brands I've had.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:42 PM

Was in the exact same position last year and was on my way to Costco to grab a Nexgrill and made the mistake of reading some reviews.That scared me away.

So with no good quality options in my price range I decided to buy in the low end of my price range and caught a July blow-out at London Drugs on a Char-Broil Performance just to get me thru until I could budget more.
Four Burner and side burner.Quite wide grill with very narrow burners means very uneven grilling with no char flavor. Even fatty steaks don't smoke.

Only feature I really like is there is a pull out slide drip pan the width of the grill at the back so super easy to clean.

So I use the Pellet grill for 90% of my cooking and the cheap grill as a back up.

Not amazing but for a couple of hundred bucks it will do till I find the right grill at the right price

https://www.charbroil.com/performanc...rill-463375619
Old 06-23-2019, 01:09 PM

Traeger
Old 06-23-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I'm in the same boat looking for a new bbq. Mines older so it has lived a long life. Bought a Centro from Canadian tire in 07. Stainless steel with cast grill. My issue now is that from the outside the bbq still looks brand new. But on the inside, everything under the grill is rotten. I wish I could just rebuild it but pricing out parts ads up to a lot of $$.

I'm thinking of saving a few dollars and maybe not going the stainless steel rout this time as the rest of the bbq won't hold up anyway. Another thing I didn't like about the cast grill is the wavy design makes for hard brushing and cleaning between the rows. I have to pick through all the edges which is a pain.

Now I can't expect any bbq to last as long as this one did but like I said half stainless and half not. I've still been using it as I've grown quite attached to it over almost 13 years (bought it when I got the house) and it does get used a lot. Maybe a non stainless will last half this time? I don't know but for shopping for a new one, these have been my thoughts.
I bought my Centro about a year or two before yours when they still hand the welded grilles. The thing about it that bugs me is how often I get flare-ups torching my steaks. I wonder if putting in some other grate over the burner v-baffles and a bunch of ceramic briquettes would help with that? I like it otherwise, save for some corrosion on the handles.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:28 PM

Weber, but not a new one as they are now made in China. Use the Kij and find a good used one, all the parts are available and it will be like a brand new machine for a long time. had a Broil King previously, they are pretty good as well but not sure about part's availability.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Vermont casting is producing bbq’s again. I bought mine over 10 years ago and I use it mercilessly, it’s been good. One thing I notice with then new bbq’s is they’ve gotten rid of the side burners and have those ceramic infra red thingies instead. I contacted Weber to see if I can special order with a regular side burner (the really big bbq’s have them) and they say no.

They also say that my assumption that putting a large pot or pan on these infra red burners will kill them fast is....correct. That sux. I use my side burner to cool all the time. I never fry anything stinky in the house, it’s all outside. And now I can’t get a decent (big) side burner.
Another reason to buy a used one.....sometimes progress isn't.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Is the Webber NG issue A known problem? Or do you think you just got unlucky. I love my propane one but I bought it back in 2013 before I bought my new house that has the gas hooked up.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 06-23-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Is the Webber NG issue A known problem? Or do you think you just got unlucky. I love my propane one but I bought it back in 2013 before I bought my new house that has the gas hooked up.
It is a long standing issue. I have used quite a few over the years and they were all the same. BBQing in the winter at my buddies place on a Broil King is what convinced me to buy my first Broil King 18 years ago and take the Weber to the lake. After living the difference I would never buy another Weber.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I bought my Centro about a year or two before yours when they still hand the welded grilles. The thing about it that bugs me is how often I get flare-ups torching my steaks. I wonder if putting in some other grate over the burner v-baffles and a bunch of ceramic briquettes would help with that? I like it otherwise, save for some corrosion on the handles.
I'm no bbq expert by any means but I do have mine mastered. My heat deflectors rotted through a few years ago and I prices new ones that didn't seem very cheap but then I found a beat up new bbq behind Canadian tire that had "demo" spray painted on it. So I got new throwaway heat deflectors. Now they're rotted out again. The front and rear rails that the heat deflectors rest on are completely rotted out. The infrared element on back wall is like new. The side burner is like new. Just everything from the grill down is rotted out. I wish I could find a "bottom half" because the rest, besides stickers telling heat settings, is still like new. It's a shame to toss a 75% good bbq in the scrap bin
Old 06-23-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
It is a long standing issue. I have used quite a few over the years and they were all the same. BBQing in the winter at my buddies place on a Broil King is what convinced me to buy my first Broil King 18 years ago and take the Weber to the lake. After living the difference I would never buy another Weber.
Pretty easy to build, the Weber came with good instructions and went together great. I’m sick of buying propane so I’m pretty much ready to upgrade.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 06-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Vermont casting is producing bbq’s again. I bought mine over 10 years ago and I use it mercilessly, it’s been good.
This is crazy to hear. I didnt believe you but then saw them online. I've lost track or how many times I've heard people say they'd buy another Vermont again if they could.

The original company went bankrupt so I'd question the quality or where the new ones are being made. If someone just bought the name then it doesnt mean much.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:14 PM
Banned

have to say I'm surprised that so many people are afraid to spend a few dollars more on a quality bbq.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:34 PM

Great reviews guys. I'm going to go have a look at the Broil King bbqs this week. Thanks guys.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Interesting our Weber is 10 years old and we have cooked many a meal simmer or winter. It is an NG BBQ. Infact the GF bought both her kids a Weber for graduation gift. No complaints from either.

You sure there isn't an issue with yours. In 10 years we had to replace the igniter & heat deflectors. That's about it.%
Old 06-23-2019, 05:52 PM

I have a Broil king as well great BBQ.....

DO do the shake test, before you buy....open the lid on the BBQ and give it a nice vigorous shake, The answer will be most forth coming......
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:53 PM

Broil King.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
have to say I'm surprised that so many people are afraid to spend a few dollars more on a quality bbq.
Finding a quality bbq is the problem.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:14 PM

Not sure how everyone else's warranty is but I just put in a warranty claim on my 6-ish year old Napoleon about two burners that were worn out. I did not have proof of sale. They sent me four new burners free plus shipping ($15). I was impressed that they didn't even hassle me for proof of sale. Something to consider.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Interesting our Weber is 10 years old and we have cooked many a meal simmer or winter. It is an NG BBQ. Infact the GF bought both her kids a Weber for graduation gift. No complaints from either.

You sure there isn't an issue with yours. In 10 years we had to replace the igniter & heat deflectors. That's about it.%
There are obviously a ton of people who think the Weber is just great or they wouldn't sell so many. I like my steaks blue rare to rare so I want one hot enough to sear the outside VERY well, even at -30, and leave the inside done the way I want it. For me it is easier to do that on the 4 burner Broil King than the 4 Burner Weber. The Broil King burners run perpendicular to the controls so it is also easy to heat on one side for slow indirect heat when doing chicken, roasts. ribs etc. Overall I find it suits my cooking style and needs better but others may well find the Weber a better fit for them. Having cooked on a number of Webers I am certain the one now at the lake cooks the same and is not defective in any way. In fact I cooked steaks for 30 last week, half on my BIL's Napolean and half on my MIL's Weber, both BBQs sitting side by side on her deck. The Napolean got way hotter than the Weber.

Each to their own, just passing one my experience for what it is worth, not dissing other people's choices.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt7mm View Post
In the market for a NEW BBq. Any good sales out there? I'm in Edmonton and I've just started looking. I'm thinking around the $500 range. I know the Webers are the best but I dont really want to spend $1000 plus. I'm going to look at what Costco Carrie's. I think its Nexgrill or something like that. Thx guys.
Find the Weber you want. Wait for Lowe’s to advertise them 15% off, then hit Home Depot for 10% extra. Love my Weber.